Houzz Logo Print
deggie01

Replacing oak kitchen cabinet doors with maple

deggie01
il y a 9 ans
I was thinking about putting new maple doors on my oak cabinets. I will refinish the oak cabinets and paint them the same color of the maple doors. Bad idea or terrible idea?

Commentaires (9)

• jhmarie
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans

If you are going to paint and replace doors, look for a paint grade door that will be more stable than all wood. Wood moves with changes in temperature and humidity. The movement of the wood can cause cracks in the paint and increase chances of chipping. Many white cabinets are MDF or wood and MDF combinations.

Or, do you mean you are going to refinish and stain the old cabinet boxes to match the maple doors? You will need to test the stain on some oak and see if it stains the same way as the maple. Different woods take stain differently. I do not know how different oak and maple stain - so ask a professional woodworker or cabinetmaker. You may need to try a variety of stains to try to match the color of the maple.

• deggie01
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm going to paint the cabinets and the company I bought the doors from will paint the doors the same color. I worry that down the road the cabinets and doors won't match.
  • deggie01
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    This company doesn't sell painted oak doors because they say the grain will show through eventually.
  • jhmarie
    il y a 9 ans

The paint if applied properly should be the same color on either oak or birch. The grain that shows through on oak is not a color difference - it is a texture difference. You can see and feel the dips and valleys of the grain rather than a flat surface. There is a way to reduce this in painting oak cabinets - I think this tutorial mentions it:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20315665,00.html

• Barbara Almandarz
    il y a 9 ans

I'd worry about the grain variances between oak and maple. Depending on how many cabinets you have, consider having the boxes professionally refaced with maple to match your doors. I had maple cabinets, had new doors put on and the boxes refaced by the same company. They stained and stapled 1/8" veneer on the boxes then stained the doors with the same stain to match. I now have walnut cabinets and couldn't be happier.

• deggie01
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I do worry about the grain showing but we are using every product we can to even out the wood. My husband didn't want veneers on the cabinet so that's why we are going with this hybrid refacing option.

My first worry is the paint matching. I'm feeling a little more confident. Thanks for the link, and all the advise.
  • emilyam819
    il y a 9 ans

Get 1 1/4 overlay or full overlay doors so when they are closed, you can't see much of the frame of the cabinet. Good choice to go with painted maple; people usually get painted cabinets in maple because the grain is smooth.

• michelle5513
    l'année dernière

Hi. I am considering buying maple doors (unfinished) and painting them and my oak cabinet frames the same color (white) and filling the grain on the frames to get a smooth finish. I'm curious about how your project turned out.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».