Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Fake flowers - yay or nay?

Tom Flanagan
il y a 8 ans

Flowers add life, colour and pretty much everything that's good to a home, but keeping them alive can be harder than you first think.

A lot of people resort then, to fake flowers as an antidote to the problem - but does it really solve things? Let us know if you think fake flowers get a yay or a nay from you!

My home · Plus d'infos

Yay
Nay
Other

Commentaires (44)

• Andrew Millar
    il y a 8 ans
    hate fake flowers, always reminds me of the windows of funeral directors. always covered in dust,just horrible. nothing more uplifting than fresh flowers and foliage.
  • maria galvano
    il y a 8 ans
    I sorta agree with both comments above so I tend to buy house plants to bring life to my rooms alive and last!!!!
  • soozmacrae
    il y a 8 ans

Love fresh flowers, but some orchids are so realistic that my visitors think they are real.

• marycolwill
    il y a 8 ans

Just a couple of tips when using silk flowers. Only use blooms which are in

season. Nothing looks more fake than daffodils in November!

Another artful tip is to carefully trim off a petal from one of the flowers and leave it on the surface beneath the blooms. It will look as though it has naturally dropped and no one would suspect you were so devious!!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Hello Tom,

Nothing really compares to the real thing.. and what about spraying said faux with eau de flower! Aroma water! I do think there is a place for faux in the home as it can be a costly love of the real thing... ... It has to be a really good quality flower.. not just flowers but succulents and leaves are really having their time... Abigail Ahern has some really gr8 faux and for the more traditional route Oka has a good flower dept too... let's just say I went into one of said places.... had an arrangement made up to see how it would look... Came to £400! (vase was £150 out of that... : ))

• ruby who
    il y a 8 ans
    Absolutely NO
  • Shelly Anne
    il y a 8 ans

soozmacrae, Funny you should say that! About 10 years ago my children bought their Grandmother a silk orchid arrangement which she was thrilled with. So much so she couldn't wait to tend it, thankfully my daughter stopped her watering it just in time - she genuinely thought it was real. Still, it gave us all a laugh and unbelievably she still has it and it still looks great. It is true some are better than others, though

• artemisia_cp
    il y a 8 ans
    For the price of a cup of coffee you can buy a bunch of flowers from Aldi and they last a lot longer and are better for your health! When I'm low on funds even the cheapest bunch of flowers will cheer me up.
  • winterfloods
    il y a 8 ans
    Well, as a member of several flower clubs and a regular club competitor, I'm all for real blooms. Add some garden foliage and a touch of creative flair and you can achieve an eye catching design to be proud of. First photo of a couple of club entries (mine is on the left, furthest away from the camera) and a photo, taken just today, of a work in progress.
  • Sherbert Barnes
    il y a 8 ans
    Always real flowers, please!
    Depending on choice can often give you a lovely heady scent as well - lilies, hyacinths, roses etc...
  • hardimcwilliams
    il y a 8 ans

Nothing brings me more pleasure than fresh flowers from my garden!

• Lynn Mercer
    il y a 8 ans

Sorry I hate real flowers, they belong in the garden! My best friend has a flower shop as well - but sources me great fake flowers.

• PRO
    GlenisJohnsonDesigns
    il y a 8 ans

I am an artificial floral designer sourcing beautiful faux flowers and containers to fit into any room setting . I have customers who give me work continuously based on friends and family seeing my work and I have a studio at home where I work from . I also work with home stagers putting designs into homes before it is photographed ready for that all important brochure. Fresh flowers simply would not work as they have a short life and would end up spoiling the styled rooms as the water becomes smelly and flowers end up dying . Summing up ....... Investing in a faux flower design can give years of enjoyment and can be colour themed to fit into your home . Great gifts too !

• Amanda Robinson
    il y a 8 ans

Pollen allergy hence fake every time plus low maintenance. Everyone thinks they're real anyway.... Another tip - clean them with a blast from a hairdryer.

Glenis your designs are gorgeous.

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    Love fresh ones but stick with good fake ones cos in the long run they're cheaper and I'm too lazy to keep replacing and tending the real thing. Also fake ones are so varied and look so authentic these days it's often difficult to know the difference.
  • angelboyman
    il y a 8 ans

I think a mixture of real and faux are acceptable. Real flowers don't last and to keep replacing them, especially if it's for a pre-designed space, is just not financially practical. However, we don't have any faux ones in the house we're in at the moment but I am considering designing some spaces especially for flowers displays (faux and real) in a new house we're building.

• nudejude
    il y a 8 ans

I love faux blooms and have a box full of different colours and varieties so that I can mix and match according to my mood and the season, adding in the occasional bits of fresh greenery from the garden to make them look even more real. I love real flowers too, but prefer to see them in the garden, rather than dying prematurely indoors just because we decide to cut them.

• Annette Wright
    il y a 8 ans
    In the tropics fresh flowers will only last a day or two on the whole so I have resorted to a few fake arrangements sometimes mixed with real foliage as in the second photo.
  • lauracost
    il y a 8 ans

Fake flowers years ago were plastic and looked pretty bad. I have to say the fake flowers available now look quite stunning. Are fully washable and keep their colour for a long time.

• Mark Jeffs
    il y a 8 ans
    Can't beat fresh flowers, they also smell lovely. Hate to see fake flowers when people have the same ones out for years collecting dust. Some of the more realistic ones are ok especially when you put them out just for the time of year they flower (& regularly wash the dust off!) Still can't beat fresh though.
  • PRO
    GlenisJohnsonDesigns
    il y a 8 ans

I think the whole idea about quality faux flowers is that they look stunning when designed to sit in the area they have been bought for . All this washing and dusting you talk about is so unnecessary and I treat my designs as you would a quality pair of curtains ........... They fade over a period of time but you wouldn't keep replacing them . If you love the flower design you have invested in than they give years of happiness . What I do is have designs back for a spring clean by washing , changing orchid leaves if they have lightened with sun damage and the design is as good as new .

• Emmanuelle
    il y a 8 ans
    Never bought fake flowers... It fact I hate any type of faux! Fake leather, fake wood, fake sheepskin, fake marble... Here are my tips: if you find flowers expensive, just by 1 bloom of an amazing flower(£2)
    and add foliage from your garden. Or maybe, cut a few stems of a blooming tree ( cherry trees are fab!) and put in a vase for a minimalist arrangement. My mum cuts hydrangeas in autumn, dry them heads down for couple of weeks; you end up with a lovely bunch which lasts a few months.
  • Mark
    il y a 8 ans

I have a couple of faux rose arrangements, one small ( shown below ) and one very large one and I LOVE them. When you can't have or afford to have them like I do year round the high quality faux flowers look amazing and I get compliments on them all the time. So a big YAY from me :)

• Natalie
    il y a 8 ans

I like both and each have their pros and cons. I have fresh flowers in my kitchen at all times---just makes me happy. :))

• Najeebah
    il y a 8 ans
    I'm not very much of a 'flower-person', but I do prefer real over faux. seeing its impractical to buy/cut constantly, I find indoor plants a good alternative.
  • PRO
    Woodys Furniture
    il y a 8 ans

Real is best but lots of natural dried displays can look stunning. There are some amazing silk flowers but they can look odd if they are out of season.

• PRO
    D M Sullivan Furnishing Ltd
    il y a 8 ans

Fake flowers look fake

• PRO
    Al-Murad Granite Worktops
    il y a 8 ans

Fake flowers are for fake hearts

• Jb Basha
    il y a 8 ans

I love real flowers but sometimes adding one or two fake ones to the plants when they stopped blooming gives everlasting effect !

• PRO
    Broadoak Home and Garden
    il y a 8 ans

Its got to be real for us, we sell great value plants.

• PRO
    Anna Palmer Interiors
    il y a 8 ans

I love fresh flower and buy them every week for our newly designed house but it was costing me a fortune! So I bought some really good quality fake flowers which cost me just under £100. Nobody, so far, have realised they are not real. My husband keeps telling me to stop pointing out to people that they are in fact fake flowers.

My neighbour has planted, yes planted! lots of fake flowers outside her house. Horrible bright, garish and obviously fake flowers - even from a distance.

As long as they look real I think it's well worth it although it took me a while to remember they weren't dying because they weren't real!

• Zette A Hutchins
    il y a 8 ans

Just to throw a spanner into the works:

WHAT ABOUT DRIED FLOWERRRRS :D

I think these are awesome if they are done properly - roses, hyathinces, hydrangeas the lot ...

should see my bedroom, it is absolutely full of them, I have some hanging from the lampshades and the curtain poles at the mo (drying) as it keeps them out of the cats way!

As for funeral flowers - they're to chill the place out and cheer everyone up so be enthused happyboy.

I have just recently done my triplet's bedroom and it's light pink, white and grey and they have the burkhas they were given from rely's and friends at their christening! They are white and bright pink but they have faded nicely and look really nice on the shelf.

• Emmeline Westin
    il y a 8 ans

That's a whole new poll Zette - great one!

• PRO
    bloomon UK
    il y a 7 ans

Fresh flowers always have our vote!

• PRO
    Morielloart
    il y a 7 ans

The best are real flowers!! And they give a delicious smell in the house, boosting up your mood.

But if you really don't want the hassle of taking care of them and keeping them in a great shape, check out these cool Pop Art pieces! P

STELLINA GIALLA · Plus d'infos

VIAGGI ILLUMINATI · Plus d'infos

Tony

MorielloArt

• Daisy Chapelier-Dehesdin
    il y a 7 ans

Fresh flowers are the best as you can change them according to your mood, the season and change the atmosphere of the whole space surrounding them.

• PRO
    architectinamsterdam
    il y a 7 ans

there is fake and fake...

• PRO
    Ecologic Architects
    il y a 7 ans

Never fake it! Fake flowers get dusty, lose their colour and have dreadful unnatural looks. Why waste money on them? Fresh flowers may not have the ethical credentials or last long. You may prefer houseplants instead, which properly maintained, last longer and look and smell much better.

• Mea Rice
    il y a 7 ans

You can't beat the natural smell of real flowers, I always make sure I have a fresh bouquet in my living room, especially when they bring in a splash of season colours. I love my displays from Urban Design Flowers.

• Melanie Rainbow
    il y a 7 ans
    both have a place. Faux for all year round. ABIGAIL AHERN and John Lewis have great ones
  • PRO
    sadoradesigns
    il y a 7 ans

leuk

• viv mcc
    il y a 7 ans

im on the fence with this one as i like both, if the faux are good faux, but i get loads of free real flowers in the spring and summer as i end up with loads from the garden which would end up expensive if had to buy them every month, but i enjoy my faux when i can not get nice free fresh ones, so i would go for both

• lisa77226
    il y a 7 ans
    Fake are growing on me but real aren't expensive in the UK (at least while we are still in the EU) so I've not yet bought fake ones. I do think that fake look best when in a cluster of the same type rather than a more traditional arrangement.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».