Houzz Logo Print
gemimi21

How to incorporate a bright colored area rug

gemimi21
il y a 9 ans
I purchased an area rug online...it looked beautiful in the photos. Now that it is unrolled in my casual living room it seems that the bright colors are overwhelming.
I'm willing to decorate around the rug...room color, furniture, etc. I've always been drawn to the French country style but I was hoping for a slight bohemian flair. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I'm hoping that I won't have to return the rug.

Commentaires (8)

• PRO
    4f Lighting
    il y a 9 ans
    I suspect if the furniture were sitting _on_ the rug more (including a coffee table/ottoman) it would tone down the rug enough for you to live with it. I think it's gorgeous. Need more/ different pictures though.
  • belletriste
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I love the bold colors too! With the dark furniture, it seems to me that you'll be able to balance it all out. Get some accent items that pull out the rug's colors elsewhere in the room (vases, lamps, throw pillows, floral arrangements, etc.).

Do you love the rug? If you love it but are just feeling a little squeamish about being too bold, don't. It will grow on you and come to feel as though it should have always been there. If you don't love it, send it back. I have a couple of quite bold items in my home and I love them for their boldness--and one is a bold colored living room rug that I love so much I'll be decorating around it in my next home, too.
  • summery
    il y a 9 ans
    Another one who loves it! I've been looking for a really richly-coloured big area rug for ages; care to share the source?

I'm not a great stylist, but, I think that, if you're enchanted with French country style, you might consider painting that lovely big armoire a lighter colour, perhaps.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    il y a 9 ans
    That is a stunning rug! What a conversation starter!
    I agree with summery, painting the armoire a light color, say white, would be very french country. Pull subtle colors from the rug, such as what appears to be the pale blue, and add accent pillows or a throw in that hue. Let the rug me the statement piece, and coordinate the other accessories to compliment it.

Happy Decorating!
  • Geneviève
    il y a 9 ans
    is this a double post?
  • PRO
    Belle Bleu Interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    The rug is gorgeous! I love french country style. I also love the idea of painting the armoire. What about painting it a distressed pale french blue? Also, I think once you put some furniture on the rug, it won't seem so bold. I love the dark brown leather chair you have with it. Pillows, accessories, and artwork using colors from the rug will help to tie it all together.
  • PRO
    Marie-Pierre Ayoul Decorative painting
    il y a 9 ans
    Beautiful rug! I think that in order for the room to feel bohemian you need to add whimsical stuff, some original art possibly, and if you feel up to it, paint the walls a daring colour such as one of the colours in the rug. That would really pull the room together and the rug would look like it belongs there. Right now the wall and floor colours seem at odd with the rug. IMO.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».