Houzz Logo Print
jcomama

Monster of a Fireplace...I've never seen anything like it!

jcomama
il y a 11 ans
Ugh. I don't know what to do with this fireplace that DOMINATES our livingroom. The red carpet will be replace with hardwood, but what should be done with that fireplace??? This pic was taken with previous owners belongings.

Commentaires (1,1 K)

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Anna, the couch and chairs are West Elm.

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Ahhh!! The blue floors! Too bad they didn’t get a fun nickname too! Can you believe I didn’t get before pics of the kitchen. I’ll share some that will give you the gist. And some afters also. 😁

• drsaj
    il y a 3 ans

Your reveal of the Spoffy room and your new kitchen literally put a smile on my face! Enjoy!!

jcomama a remercié drsaj
  • suezbell
    il y a 3 ans

old post 964 comments. Not reading/rereading them all but ... just curious:

Did you name your fireplace Spoffy? That has to be the most unusual fireplace I've ever seen.

• Denita
    il y a 3 ans

I love how you tamed Spoffy! What a wonderful room.

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Sue, I can’t blame you. 😂 The artist‘s last name is Spofforth. These clever HOUZZ folks have personified the fireplace. It’s been fun!

• anna_682
    il y a 3 ans

I love it! Your house looks unique and beautiful. Spoffy is perfect as is.

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Annnnnnd nowwww....who wants to weigh in with their opinions on Spoffy‘a flip side?!? 😅🤣. Dark/almost black exterior paint and some medium wood accents?! Like maybe a wood front door?? 💗💗💗 you guys!! *Don't hate me!* 😝🤣

• suezbell
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Blue floors: Drypool

Like your Drypool.

Kiddo playing w/pupper on Drypool today..

• suezbell
    il y a 3 ans

Spoffy's back looks like mine feels some days after working in the yard.

• Kelley Dockrey
    il y a 3 ans

great job!

jcomama a remercié Kelley Dockrey
  • Sister Sunnie
    il y a 3 ans

That is the most awesome fireplace I've ever seen!!

jcomama a remercié Sister Sunnie
  • fissfiss
    il y a 3 ans

Spoffy needs some Suessian weeping evergreens...

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 3 ans

It's baaaack! Good job. I'd still like to meet the craftsman who pulled off that look!

• rredpenn
    il y a 3 ans

Brilliant, jco! I love everything you've done! Spoffy finally looks spiffy! And without scrolling back, yes, I remember the red stuff... and was it the Hobbit creatures? Gnomes? I have a hazy memory too of a particularly cute photoshop? (It's worth a scroll back to find it, you newbies!)

jcomama a remercié rredpenn
  • Susan Fox
    il y a 3 ans

BINGO ! You nailed it ! I love the furniture placement . It focuses the attention to the center of the room where Spoffy holds court ! And the skull is perfect, just enough. The eye is drawn from the skull down to the patterned rug in front of Spoffy creating a central feature to the room instead of trying to use the whole room to work around him. I love it now. Somehow it seems less overpowering and is rather elegant to look at . Good for you.! Thanks for the update. I was just thinking about this the other day. You did good. so glad you kept him as hi is....no paint. More pictures are always welcome.

jcomama a remercié Susan Fox
  • mainenell
    il y a 3 ans

Wow! It looks really great!

jcomama a remercié mainenell
  • Christine Robertson
    il y a 3 ans

So pleased that you updated us all. You had so many suggestions but I really like what you've done. As others have said it's great that he has been left in his original clothing with just an equally quirky decoration. Not too much, but takes the shock off his curvaceous exterior and makes his curves look interesting with being too strange. The rest of the room is lovely. Great job! PS You're kitchen is wonderful. And I say go with your flip side dark with wooden accents.

jcomama a remercié Christine Robertson
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    il y a 3 ans

So unique and clever. We often wonder how things turn out. Very nicely done!! Thanks for posting. On we go!

jcomama a remercié Flo Mangan
  • Kate
    il y a 3 ans

Just curious are you in Denver? I’ve seen an entire neighborhood with this kind of brick work.

• Callie Henrichs
    il y a 3 ans

I think she maybe near Athens, Ohio. That is where Spofforth the artist lives. A couple friends of mine are friends with John. Just a guess though on location.

• ocotillaks
    il y a 3 ans

John Spofforth Article

Prolific in Brick

• Terry Markovich
    il y a 3 ans

Everything came out beautifully. The color you selected for the walls enhances the fireplace by blending in with it which you need when you have such a large and strong focal point.

Which leads me to think it would also make a good exterior color for the house. Though you may want to test it in the sun first. White trim.

jcomama a remercié Terry Markovich
  • suezbell
    il y a 3 ans

Thank you for sharing the after pics. Your home is beautiful. Well done.

• Cecile Nessler
    il y a 3 ans

So happy to see Spoffy again💖 The room is perfect! Love everything! The blue brick kitchen floor is wicked cool! Can you share more details?? Did you do it yourselves? How hard is it to keep clean? Great job.

• Jenn
    il y a 3 ans

Wow, what an amazing room! you have made that fireplace look like it belongs there! I like your idea for a dark exterior, it would definitely accentuate his backside 😂!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 3 ans

Rooms look great. I would paint the Monster in the same color as wall. You still get a pattern/ texture, but not so crazy FP.

Or paint the grout at least lighter, eliminating a contrast.

Good job on the rooms.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    il y a 3 ans

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images, Spoffy is not getting painted, it was created by a resident artist and has now been incorporated beautifully.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 3 ans

Yes, I know. It is still overwhelmed the room.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 3 ans

Great job! The only thing I would suggest is to add a Carmel color leather pouf or pillow onto the sofa just to balance out the color of the fireplace..

jcomama a remercié Home Interiors with Ease
  • Kivi
    il y a 3 ans

Awesome job ! Looks great.

jcomama a remercié Kivi
  • Trish Walter
    il y a 3 ans

so glad to see the after photos. Glad you kept Spoffy. You did a great job designing the room.

What a cool statement in your home and a cool backside too.

jcomama a remercié Trish Walter
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 3 ans

The landscaping is really lovely.

jcomama a remercié Home Interiors with Ease
  • jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

A caramel colored pouf is a MUST! I actually thought about trading out the coffee table for one of the large leather square ottomans. :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 3 ans

Awesome..it would put the cherry on the top!!

• jkm6712
    il y a 3 ans

Congratulations - looks amazing!

jcomama a remercié jkm6712
  • rredpenn
    il y a 3 ans

Jco, I have too much fun with the SW ColorSnap Vizualizer. I love the color of your door now, but as the trim color. I love the idea of a rich mahogany door, and maybe a bit earthier gray for the house. Here is SW Tin Lizzie on house, and SW Peppercorn for trim. I slapped SW Umber Rust on the door just to see. Purty, I think!

Before:

and After:

The Spoffy side done this way. Before:

and after:

I just love this place. You are so lucky to have Spoffy! ;)

jcomama a remercié rredpenn
  • Fred Red
    il y a 3 ans

WOW a kid is hanging from the lamp! I'm I the only one seeing it? spooky

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 3 ans

Fred Red that it the reflection of the home owner taking the photo.🤣🤣

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Rredpenn, I’ve never used that!! How cool! 😄

• jcomama
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Fredred, a kid hanging from a lamp could TOTALLY happen around here though!! 🤣

• vacox
    il y a 3 ans

Wow, super job. Spoffy looks great!!

jcomama a remercié vacox
  • S Collier
    il y a 3 ans

Oh my goodness this thread is still around.
    Room came out great

• Shawna Hays
    il y a 3 ans

That is the coolest fireplace ever!

• pam h
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

Glad I finally stumbled onto this thread. Awesome!

• ocotillaks
    l'année dernière

John Spofforth June 6, 1931-September 24. 2022. Age 91 Athens, OH.

Jcomama: Spoffy is a collector's item and will only increase in value.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    l'année dernière

Oh my gosh not this fireplace photo again!

• partim
    l'année dernière

This thread is always a good read.

• cupofkindnessgw
    il y a 10 mois

Perhaps this link was posted in the 1,000 comments upthread, but just in case you missed it:

More Wavy Brick

• gurukaram
    il y a 3 mois

OMG, how did i ever miss this thread? thanks for sharing and i love what you did with the house!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».