Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

Countertop thoughts? Laminate on exposed edge plywood?

sheloveslayouts
il y a 8 ans

Our kitchen is small, white cabinets are not yet installed, white appliances, wood look floor and bit exposed to the (very casual) living space. I would like a countertop that isn't too kitchen-y when you're viewing from the living room, and also warms up the whiteness in the kitchen. If that makes any sense.

Do you have any thoughts about an exposed edge plywood counter topped with laminate? Most likely a white laminate.

I have a feeling this is one of those ideas I have that seems frugal, but is in fact totally not frugal. It's an ongoing problem I have with this house.

Is this a DIYable thing? Am I kidding myself? Ha!

Here are some examples of what I mean:

Commentaires (15)

• live_wire_oak
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Not gonna work around water. The manufacturer recommended substrate for DIY laminate is particle board because it is much smoother and provides a better surface to adhere the laminate to. The pre bonded laminate ply is sold as cabinet carcass material to many manufacturers. It is not cheap, nor terribly easy to work with unless you have plenty of experience. Water resistant it's not.

A better option would be the traditional laminate over particle board with applied wood edges. If you bought a sheet of marine ply and thoroughly sealed the particle board, then applied ripped built up edges from the ply, you could then sheet the top with the laminate and trim the ragged edges with a laminate trimmer. That would give you maximum moisture resistance. You'd need to do a top mount sink though.

sheloveslayouts a remercié live_wire_oak
  • sheloveslayouts
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thank you LWO for the valuable info. I appreciate it! I don't think I like the look enough to justify the extra effort and/or expense required.

• omelet
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

I may be totally misunderstanding what you're seeking but this Bergstena laminate from IKEA (with the white side up) seems to have the look you're going for.

sheloveslayouts a remercié omelet
  • sheloveslayouts
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

You're right, omelet. It does, but unfortunately I have a 42" length of counter that's 6 inches deeper than the bergstena. Otherwise I'd look at that option again. I remember it feeling pretty cheap, but as this renovation wears on that's becoming less and less of a concern :-)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    il y a 8 ans

I would build and put my name on and guarantee behind a Baltic birch plywood top with a plastic laminate top and exposed built-up edge with a polyester finish. I'd insist on a drop-in sink without some other detail for an undermount, but considering the adhesive for Baltic birch is exterior grade and there aren't any voids, an exposed vertical edge with a finish would be fine even in front of a sink.

sheloveslayouts a remercié Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • User
    il y a 8 ans

I really like the exposed plywood edge. But, if you cannot it have you thought about metal edge banding? In my thread about slab doors you mentioned that you are going for a 1940s vibe and the metal edge is era appropriate and could look really cool too.

sheloveslayouts a remercié User
  • sheloveslayouts
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Joe- do you know a guy in Portland, OR who would do the same?

• sheloveslayouts
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Mo buddy- I've been thinking about that, but I'm hung up on the metal/chrome visible from the living room. I don't think I'd like it.

• User
    il y a 8 ans

I can understand that. If it were a kitchen that did not open to a casual living space, it would be better.

sheloveslayouts a remercié User
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    il y a 8 ans

benjesbride:

Unfortunately, no, but I've sent templates across the country for fabrication by others for installation by me. You could do the same.

sheloveslayouts a remercié Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • practigal
    il y a 8 ans

Benjesbride,

Are your countertops in? Any issues? Pictures?

• mabeldingeldine
    il y a 5 ans

benjesbride what did you end up doing for a countertop? We are considering this application for our island, if I can find a laminate color we like.

• sheloveslayouts
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

We ended up with bamboo countertops and are very happy with them. My husband put a crazy amount of coats of tung oil and they’ve held up super well.

I got an estimate for custom laminate withtypical laminate edges and it was >$4000 for our small kitchen, so we DIYd bamboo for $800. It was the right choice for us.

• mabeldingeldine
    il y a 5 ans

Thanks for the update! I am glad the bamboo is working out.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».