Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What's your design trend prediction for 2016?

Emily H
il y a 8 ans

Dining · Plus d'infos

It's almost 2016! What new trends do you think will emerge in the coming year? New shapes and colors? Brand new styles? Let's hear them!

Tell us! (Photos encouraged)

Commentaires (417)

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

not meaning to drag it out, I guess I had the discussion about HGTV shows in mind...

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

Chook, you've read 'my book'....

• chookchook2
    il y a 8 ans

It would be worth a look.

• Darzy
    il y a 8 ans

Why are large clocks disliked by many? They can be very pretty and functional at the same time. Especially if you already have a lot of art on other walls, it's nice to mix things up. I took down my huge clock only because the style didn't work anymore.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    il y a 8 ans

I didn't say they're disliked by many :)

• susanalanandwrigley
    il y a 8 ans
    I love clocks, large or small. Plan to put this one up in my kitchen:
  • Gary Dixon
    il y a 8 ans

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with huge clocks. Or granite counters or stainless appliances or the color grey. If you like 'em, use 'em. Who said your taste was inferior to others? I happen to like neutral colors (especially taupe), abstract art and house plants, all of which I have in abundance. I care not at all what others think; I'm the one who lives here. As for that HGTV show Fixer-Upper, their style and their interaction is just too cute for words. (Well, actually, I have words but I doubt that Houzz would allow them.)

• Darzy
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

lol I am saying large clocks are disliked by many - especially with the pros. I just meant I wonder why many pros avoid large clocks in their design. Over done?? One of my favorite Houzz Pros also does not use large clocks in her designs.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

i think they are too obvious is the reason.

• susanalanandwrigley
    il y a 8 ans

I think clocks are things of beauty and have always been drawn to them. I have wanted a grandfather's clock since I was a child. Nowadays half the young folk can't even read an analog clock. Not sure what is "obvious" about them, any more than any other piece of art. But, if it's off trend, that really doesn't bother me as I don't need my house to look like everyone else's.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

Yes, clocks if showing a certain historical or cultural design are fascinating, just like art. Very sellable canvas of obvious 'sunset' strands of color, or 'lake blue' is just fine and I have a couple here. :) I love the softness of those.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

On another post, sandi's home photo showed a grandfather clock in a creamy tone, which I prefer to the huge wood-stained one from my childhood [no offense to mom and dad]. They did away with that, and the cuckoo clock. I would've taken the latter off their hands, oh well...

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

A trend question then: are grandfather clocks out of style? Will they come back? Not a concern enough that you need to clarify the heck out of it, cause it's another "obvious" that they're out of style. :)(

• jalarse
    il y a 8 ans
    I don't think a grandfather clock would ever go out of style. These days there so many different styles of these classic clocks that you could find them to go in a traditional home as well as contemporary. Besides that if you like it do it, don't worry about styles trends or anything else.
  • havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

Ever, you are sounding a bit depressed? for you and susana I like clocks too. I just find that critics, which designers often seem to be, often do not like things which have an obvious design and purpose? Am i saying that right. the less the story or painting makes sense the happier they are. I attribute it to creating art without having to work at it. If they see us all standing there like this

These Cats Just Want Help You Out In the Kitchen - Answers.com · Plus d'infos
    Then they can step in and give it a definition, meaning, purpose, juxtaposition, reality, etc. And whatever it is becomes their invention.

• chookchook2
    il y a 8 ans

Click on it

• PRO
    Civil cheif Engineering
    il y a 8 ans
    beautiful
  • everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

That might just be an eel of a joke.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

havingfun, I've always been shy and self-effacing...

• mountainfreak4465
    il y a 8 ans

earmuffs, boomboxes, and really busy wallpaper

• jhmarie
    il y a 8 ans

There is a town close to me that makes grandfather clocks. I think there is even a window walkway from which a person can see the work being done by the craftsmen. I doubt anything that is done with good craftsman skills will ever go out of style. I do shy a bit away from things that I see suddenly frequently on blog post or TV shows - and that is where I have seen the big clock. I think they are fine, just a bit too everywhere - which is sometimes what happens when something really is pretty. Now the faux taxidermy I really do not get - but I've only seen it online or TV. Haven't really seen it in anyone's home. I am a little surprised it took off as a trend. But, yes, to each his own. People should have the decor around them that makes them feel good.

• 902 Juanita
    il y a 8 ans

I wholeheartedly agree that all-white is already getting tired. In 5 years, the market is going to be flooded with properties from lower end to very high end that all look the same- white cabs, white counters etc. As a recent homebuilder in Austin, TX, I went the other way. Modern in design, warm and accessible in colors. Sure- our sleek, modern kitchen had an "appetite" for quartz counters (as did our bathrooms), but I chose "forward" colors that, while still light, are very homey and inviting. Come resale time, I can always paint our warmly-stained flat-panel maple cabinets, if it's still a trend. But in the meantime, they're an awesome backdrop for state-of-the art appliances.

I'm also one who believes the days of the humongous tubs are over. But? For me, ditto for the oversized showers and all that glass. It looks sexy, but is a maintenance nightmare. In the master (our 'work horse) I chose to go doorless. Was a fun little engineering project, within slope, but I LOVE it. A bit of a cave, but we also have a window in there, so very bright. Not huge, easy to clean and I don't get confronted with "dried water drops" on a daily basis. Even with squeegees, the drops still show until great clean.

• sandiocd
    il y a 8 ans
    Everdebz, here is the clock for which there was a side view in the photo from the other thread. My hubs had it made for me years ago, and the man called it a "grandmother clock". It was supposed to reflect my Scandinavian heritage.
  • PRO
    Blu Bathworks
    il y a 8 ans

I recently saw that pantone released its colors for 2016. Very interesting choices. Thoughts? http://bit.ly/1NRQYkk

• Rebecca Hicks
    il y a 8 ans

I certainly cannot predict the future but I hope that more "accent or feature" walls are not in it. Can't stand them. Don't even get me started.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

oh, like the name, there is a thread just on that blu!

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/pantone-has-spoken-rosy-and-serene-are-in-for-2016-stsetivw-vs~57638007

and if you want to hear in advance. bleeeaahhh!!!

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

eh go to FL 902j, it is never out down there.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

sandi, how sweet he was - I understand that soft creamy colors go well together. Those Northerners have such indirect blue sunlight that those same paint colors I've read look good there: pale whites and icy blues and maybe greys too not sure.

Like I said, it caught my eye. Thanks for posting a better photo.... has your house gotten back to normal? joking.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

Hey sandi - does its bell etc. sound unique? different than most?

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

Sorry, eyes were on the clock, and she is a beaut, missed the tree decs, love those, Sandi.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

I enjoyed your comment jhmarie.

Curious how grandfather clocks could be used in a transitional way - we have one where we're living, but it seems stodgy to me cause there aren't bright colors to balance it somehow.... do they always have to go with burgundy and hunter green...?!

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

902juanita, is there an appetite for quartzite? I barely have heard of it, but read about it recently. Supposed to be newer option/trend than marble?

I do not like a lot of white, but toast-colored counters help...

• Anna Kristín Gisla
    il y a 8 ans

A lot more eclectic with darker cooler tones on walls and floors. Lots of wood and solid colours. As for metals i think brass will continue to be very popular and i think pewter might make a comeback. Vintage will be back more that ever and not just the mid century modern, but funky 70's and well crafted 20's pieces. Symmetrical patterns and geometry on fabric, art and tiles and flooring. More eco centric items utilizing cork, recycled materials.

But the biggest thing will be raw light wood and lots of black

Example of dark eclectic with vintage and modern blended. We'll see a lot of this.

Raw wood that we'll see a lot of as wall coverings, kitchen material and more

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

The 'after' seemed fun [yellow light!] but had some character of handmade table, etc. and even the lady reading, a standard I've seen around.

I liked the midnight blue paint.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

What is raw wood? and how's it good for kitchen use...

• Anna Kristín Gisla
    il y a 8 ans

Raw wood is referring to either undinished wood or a matte finish to simulate the look but keep the wood protected. So no oil, stain, or glossy poly.

Often the wood has unfinshed or lightly sanded edges.

I also agree the photo is so fun. Dark blue and yellow is fun with the mismatch furniture and art.

• sandiocd
    il y a 8 ans
    I think the clock chimes are pretty traditional.--and I am leaving all the Christmas stuff from the tour in place until after Christmas. I do a New Years brunch and invite the elderly couple who were previous owners of the house, and I want them to see her all decked out.
  • tgb1
    il y a 8 ans

Everdebz - just was reading further up about the clocks on the show Fixer Upper. I did think it was kinda neat when Joanna put all those different clocks on the breakfast nook wall. I don't know if I'd do it, but it was really cute...

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

Boy that table gets around a lot, i have not seen oval before. I like the table, i guess everyone must, i like the room too, Anne. Not the raw wood though, kinda like mine dark or painted.

• everdebz
    il y a 8 ans

tgb1 - I don't remember seeing that [clocks in a group].

• chookchook2
    il y a 8 ans

Haha, have a house half full of pewter. Such a lovely patina.

• sandiocd
    il y a 8 ans
    Chook, I know a paint that would be a perfect match for the patina of your pewter!!!
    (Say that 5 times fast)
  • sullyvandesign
    il y a 8 ans

I choose to live with the colors and furnishings that make me happy. If trendy makes you happy go for it! The biggest problem that I have with going my own way is being able to find fabrics and paints that are not the fav style of the year. Lots of hunting but worth it to make the space ours. Plus it saves me from doing it all over again in 2-3 years.

In defense of builders using inexpensive finish products, (FYI -I am not one). Building a home on spec with $100K of upgraded siding, roofing, trim, heating systems etc in an area of $150K homes is business suicide. Custom homes, on the other hand, are built to the owners budget and they are the ones controlling the materials. Most builders take incredible pride in their work but even great builders can't "spin gold out of straw".

• wmendes
    il y a 8 ans
    I hope that people come to their senses and realize that sheepskins are tacky.
  • Gary Dixon
    il y a 8 ans

How odd. The sheep seem to like them.

• auntthelma
    il y a 8 ans

uh-oh, there is a sheepskin rug under the tree as we speak.

• chookchook2
    il y a 8 ans

Gary, I told some sheep they weren't trending, it made them depressed and thirsty. All they would demand was bar, bar.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

I predict that in the year 2018 alchemists disguised as world famous designer scientists will figure out how to spin gold out of straw. and due to this one amazing fact, all sheep will find that their fur is much desired while still on their backs, and all decent homes will have one, due to the lovely gold poo factor.

• Margo
    il y a 8 ans

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

i really do not know how to collect crustacean poo Margo, in nearly 20 years of diving, have to say, saw a lot of crustaceans, never any poo! Maybe that is why they shed their shells. Puts a whole new meaning to seafood broth don't it? Maybe we should just go back to eating the sponges. Just saying!

Falalala lalala

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».