Houzz Logo Print
clare_mcintyre7

Round mirror or rectangular?

Clare McIntyre
il y a 6 ans

Hello,

This is the wall from sitting room to hallway- we are just laying an oak floor in the hall!

We are going to build a radiator cover with horizontal slats and an oiled oak top (will put plenty of foil underneath to deflect heat out)...

I think we have a few options:

One- rectangular mirror about 70 x 90 with a book shelf above at the same height as ones over the television on the other wall (see black rectangle).

OR- a 70 cm round mirror with bookshelf

OR- a big impact mirror 80/90/100 diameter

The foil circle is 80 cm diameter.

It would be nice to bring more light to that end of the room, but is

big round mirror going to look too big?

Will a rectangular mirror reinforce the illusion of length with a horizontal radiator cover?

Very grateful for your thoughts and advice.

Clare

Commentaires (13)

• GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    il y a 6 ans
    I vote for the round.
    Clare McIntyre a remercié GardenFairyGodmother GFG
  • Misha M
    il y a 6 ans
    Depends on design of each, Clare. Do you have style, colour, frame in mind yet?
    Clare McIntyre a remercié Misha M
  • Clare McIntyre
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I really like convex mirrors- they have something interesting without being showy, but the big ones are too expensive! So we were going for a thin frame for the round, or a glass frame for the rectangle.

I always wondered if round frames were supposed to fool the eye somehow into making the space seem larger and less defined by the right-angles - but they do seem to dominate!

Perhaps, being brave, we would have a wow factor for a while followed by an oops factor. The rectangle is just more predictable. I try not to be predictable, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

• minnie101
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Claire.I much prefer the round mirror. Sizewise it looks fine but you could go a bit larger depending on the cabinet height. Will you be having decorative accessories on the cabinet as that may dictate size a little? I'm not personally that keen on the shelf idea though, I may well be wrong but I can't see that working above the mirror as it would be sandwiched and the height looks wrong against the door (just imo). Can shelves go elsewhere? Do you have a budget for the mirror and people can maybe help look? Ignore the styles of these mirrors, I was just trying to find pics with a similar size wall to yours!

• Clare McIntyre
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Thanks for your help Minnie and Misha, you are kind! Laura Ashley has a big mirror that might be ok ? Constance? can't add the image...

We have shelves on the TV wall opposite the sofa - see photo. We have one more box to go above TV which is still drying! Not as deep as the speaker shelves but same height.
    I need to swap/spread the books around too to mix the colours over the sea print. (I have sent so many to the charity shop)

I think you are right, there is no real need of shelf above radiator if we go for big and round mirror. It would be quite a strong design but is hopefully balanced by the TV cabinet etc.

My first thought was for a round mirror near the lamp on the TV cupboard but husband complains he will be looking at himself all night.

So there is a gap I had not planned.
    Not sure what to put there?

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

• Misha M
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Clare, I would also say round mirror, balances the room given you have TV on opposite wall.

I just looked up the Constance - like it, simple and elegant. If you want a bit more wow, I dont think Constance is it though. Have you tried this site - I bought all the mirrors in my place from here; albeit different style to what you are looking for, but I thought the prices were much more reasonable than the high street.

Re shelf under TV, I think you could remove the picture you have there now and add something bold and more colourful, your "wow" of this wall to balance the "wow" mirror on the other wall. I would keep the lamp as is and place this painting/art behind it (not hang it). Thoughts? Any colours you like in particular?

• Misha M
    il y a 6 ans

Or, you could stack multiple frames like this (again, sit on shelf and keep the lamp in front)...

A colourful London home · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Ardesia Design
    il y a 6 ans

80cm diameter mirror looks good, it will break down the sharp lines of square radiator cover and the storage above (assuming it will be a storage), softening the space.

Clare McIntyre a remercié Ardesia Design
  • PRO
    Studio Vie
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Clare

The Constance is beautiful. But if you wanted something similar that would make more of a statement, you could try something like this (97cm, £145):-

Best of luck!

Rebecca

Clare McIntyre a remercié Studio Vie
  • PRO
    Studio Vie
    il y a 6 ans

Oops. The picture was stripped for some reason. Second time lucky:

https://www.alexanderandpearl.co.uk/ekmps/shops/aandp/images/gold-round-square-mirror-26476-p.jpg

R

Clare McIntyre a remercié Studio Vie
  • wendy Anderson
    il y a 6 ans
    I also think a round mirror would look beautiful - and I agree with Minnie about the shelf over it. I genuinely think it would detract from the mirror and its proportions
    Clare McIntyre a remercié wendy Anderson
  • Clare McIntyre
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

So lovely to have so much help! Huge thanks all. Funky mirror Rebecca, it would go with light switch! It does add interest to the area making the big glass less dominant.

Misha - that mirror webpage was amazing. I like the large Modern Sun, the Langdale and the Sunburst! You are right, the prices are much more reasonable too.

I think the shelf idea to prop art-works on is really interesting too and brings interest along the wall. We have some favourite photographs that could be framed.

So big-round-mirror wins for the little wall :) leave the shelf off the top.

And re-think shelves and pictures for the TV wall.

Thank you so much.

Clare

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».