Houzz Logo Print
pinsinger

How do I make my living room( with bright green carpet) modern

Anne Danz
il y a 6 ans

Commentaires (100)

• Yanni Yoshi
    il y a 6 ans
    Not sure if this is the right color for bed. Not sure on pillows? Any suggestions?
  • shirlpp
    il y a 6 ans

Yanni - as someone else was told - Start your own thread. NO - there aren't any suggestions. Hijacking someone else's thread is a NO, NO!!!

• PRO
    Desirabledecor
    il y a 6 ans
    Because of the grey headboard the color of the comforter looks washed out I would go with something that contrasts more. What other colors do you have going on in he room?
  • havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

guys, we are getting off track and lost in the past. op has not been here for a while and it is a dilemma about the lr not br.

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Ty all,

You have been wonderful.

We are moving in at the end of the month.

As per suggested by many, I am on the look out now for 2 grey (comfortable and modern sofas.

and not sure what color to go for the side chairs.

still debating between a walnut or white coffee table.

My husband would rather an ottoman( safer for our almost walking 11 month old).

I definitely want to incorporate white/walnuts wood furniture. ( maybe end tables)

I decided not to change the window treatment until I'm ready financially do hire a professional to guide me with the floors.

I'm hoping to paint the walls white soon though.

Any suggestions for furniture pieces will be much appreciated.

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

I love the green carpet. It feels like being in a park. Really cool space. Please keep us posted!

• Irene Morresey
    il y a 6 ans
    White tables, these are more child friendly
    Anne Danz a remercié Irene Morresey
  • drdeb1234
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

West elm

Maybe too small for you though. And I know for a fact that pipe insulation make for an inexpensive but effective bumper along the edge. (I remember the day we finally got to "liberate" our Noguchi table after years of it being uglified by that pipe insulation!)

And I think your room is gonna be totally fab. What great bones it has!

Anne Danz a remercié drdeb1234
  • DH
    il y a 6 ans

I ran across this article when I was looking for child proofing solutions for another dilemma and thought this might be of interest to you as well. Apparently there are many products available to child-proof coffee tables and fireplaces to keep little ones safe. You can google more articles and there are lots of ideas on Pinterest too. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-paint-corrugated-metal-roofing

Anne Danz a remercié DH
  • Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

love it! However, I think ill be needing something bigger. ty

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Irene where are the tables from?

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    il y a 6 ans

Fun space and good luck moving.

Anne Danz a remercié Jodie White Designs
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    il y a 6 ans

Anne Danz a remercié Jodie White Designs
  • DH
    il y a 6 ans

Oops! Posted the wrong link! Now you know how to paint corrugated metal too! Doh!

https://www.momtricks.com/baby-proofing/how-to-baby-proof-your-fireplace/

• Rina
    il y a 6 ans

DH, are you on the wrong thread? If you are, don't worry, I've done that a few times.

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

No, I don't think I'm on the wrong thread. I just posted the wrong link. OP had mentioned she was concerned about the kind of coffee table she got because of her little one, so I was trying to offer some information that could be helpful to her about that. She'll also need to take precautions with that fireplace hearth that's in the room.

Anne Danz a remercié DH
  • Rina
    il y a 6 ans

Sorry, then. There is another thread about a very cool but hard-edged high hearth, and the OP is worried quite rightly about toddler crashing nut against the edge. This was a great response to that, too. Thanks for the comment.

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

No worries. I do have to check myself every once in a while. : )

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

how about this?

Anne Danz a remercié havingfun
  • Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Thak you.

Having fun, I love the first and fifth chair. Do you know which company they are?

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

did you like the other things? i ditched the other chairs.

https://www.allmodern.com/Langley-Street-Zoe-Bent-Wood-Accent-Barrel-Chair-LGLY6020.html

wow, on sale $115 and no shipping!

Darn, houzz updates! the second one, now does not say where it is from and i have not seen it. i will keep my eyes peeled but no guarentees.

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

oh wow thank you !!! Really love it . Now got to run it by my DH.

Im thinking maybe more of a white coffee table

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

what do you guys think of that coffee table . With that sofa as well. ( from article).

If yes , Do I get 2 of the same?

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

a few things, I thought you were going soft for coffee table, no? If not, that one is very cool!

I also like the sofa, but is there a reason you need two? just a thought. extra space is never harmful.

what is next on the list?

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I would rather soft....

So def on the look out for better options.

otherwise I'll put piping around it...

I have a lot of family and do a lot of hosting so I could really use the extra seating.

Was thinking to arrange it like the original picture. Two sofas and then one or two chairs...

what do you guys think ?

maybe an end table?

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

would the chair you suggested tie in together well?

• shirlpp
    il y a 6 ans

The gray sofa is nice. The chair that havingfun posted is nice. However, I would not do ALL of the big furniture pieces in gray.

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

That first chair from All Modern is high on style, but read through the ratings carefully. A lot of the feedback, even positive, notes that it's pretty small. I'm not sure it will be comfortable to sit in for a whole evening if you have friends over. I recommend that you take your time and do a space plan for your home so you will know what furniture will fit and what to get. Will your tv be going in this room or somewhere else? You'll need to plan for that too, and figure out where it will go. That will also influence how you set things up. You might prefer some swivel chairs for maximum versatility for example.

For the sofa, it is extremely important that you take your time and do your research. You will want to get the best sofa you can afford. People tend to keep their sofas for way longer than you might imagine. You will want something that will still hold up 10, 15, even 20 years from now, and the only way to have that is to get a good quality sofa. I have heard nightmare stories about people spending $1200 on a couch that fell apart or the cushions were no longer comfortable within a year. Wouldn't it be better to spend around $2000, (if you can) and have it last 10 years than to have to buy a new couch every 3-5 years or more?

I'm not saying the Article sofa is a bad one, for all I know, it could be one of the good ones that will last 20 years for that price. I'm just saying take your time to learn about how to shop for a good sofa. Take the time to go and sit on as many sofas as you can in different furniture stores in town to get a sense of what kind of cushion type feels best to you. There are BIG differences and it is a personal preference.

I know it's so easy to get swept up in the excitement and fun of getting a new place and cool things to go in it, but take your time to make sure you get things that you'll love and last for years to come too. : )

Here's a really good article I've shared a few times and have found to be helpful myself on what to look for in a sofa. [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-choose-a-well-constructed-sofa-stsetivw-vs~81847558[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-choose-a-well-constructed-sofa-stsetivw-vs~81847558)

Anne Danz a remercié DH
  • Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I appreciate that ty !!I can be an impulsive...I definitely want a couch that will last.

Maybe I could start with one and spend more. Would the second couch have to be the exact color?

What color do you suggest the sitting chairs be?

Any one have recommendations for high quality modern sofas?

• Irene Morresey
    il y a 6 ans
    Sorry have been trying to find info on those coffee tables, but can not find them, they were on Pinterest. All modern have some nice ones
  • havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

no, they do not need to match, but if you need it you should get the two and with so much furniture, you may want them to match. Neutral like gray, etc. is good, if you like to do a lot of changes in colors etc. for seasons, etc. in essence though you can use the green as your neutral and as we have shown you, many colors can be used with it too.

if you have larger parties on a regular basis and you want them to be comfortable for extended times, you want to look at other chairs for comfort. those are more mcm charm and cool.

will you have a tv in there? have you thought of doing dk blue, light gray, the green and white?

• Steven
    il y a 6 ans
    This is a very unique living room. If the carpet is in good shape...keep it! Get neutrals for furniture
    Anne Danz a remercié Steven
  • DH
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Chani,

Here's another article that mentions some companies that you can get good quality sofas from. Some of these are what they call, "available to the trade" which means you'll need to find someone near you who sells them. Lee Industries is one that I see mentioned over and over again.

Hope this helps!

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2014/09/21/10-best-sofas-need-know-buying/

Anne Danz a remercié DH
  • havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

have you though pier 1? can try at store and order online.

• PRO
    Las Vegas Remodel & Construction
    il y a 6 ans

wow tons of great ideas!

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

Was doing a lot of research on sofas last night, I need to get a new one too and have been looking for awhile. I discovered that Crate and Barrel carries several Lee Industries sofas for a pretty good price. Even if you find something there that isn't Lee Industries, you can use the checklist to make sure they are still good quality couches. Depending on your choice of fabric and cushion options (if available) you can get a good sofa for around $2000-$4000.

And feel free to not have to be strictly midcentury in your space. Something with good clean modern lines will also look great with other MCM pieces.

Keep us posted as things progress! :-)

• Irene Morresey
    il y a 6 ans
    I would have fun with the accent chairs. Like the cerise egg chair, you need to bring some colour into play instead of it being just the green carpet to balance it and step out of your comfort zone it will look awesome. Maybe different curtains. Just a thought
    Anne Danz a remercié Irene Morresey
  • felizlady
    il y a 6 ans
    I had grass green carpet in the 60's. I left it there.
  • havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

i understand feliz, wish'd i could have left my mom's recovered mcm couch there too! I think the difference is not having lived with it. now i have my own taupe mcm couch. i love it as an updated item. lol

• Anne Danz
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Hey,

Ty all.

Will def give crate and barrel another look.

We won't be putting the tv in that room. ( family room... whole other project )

I live in a small town, no great furnutire stores here...

That's why I was parusing the onlinr options.

I love the idea of Irene idea of the chair....

I'm going to wait on the curtains.

Would like to do the floors,paint and windows all together, when I can hire a professional. I dont want to invesr in something that may be changed soon.

By keeping the furniture neutral I'm hoping it will continue to look great even with new flooring...if not I wld transfer it into my family room. ...

But its still atleast a year or two away and I want a room to be proud of.

So .... grey couches, white cofeee table or also grey

And then colored chairs?

• DH
    il y a 6 ans

It's not a bad idea to use neutrals for your main pieces (Although I personally consider navy a neutral too because it goes well with all colors), and bring in fun colors through things that are commonly less costly like pillows, throws, lamps, and other pieces of decor. That gives you a lot of flexibility to change your style and color palette every so often. Some people even like changing out pillows and throws on a seasonal basis.

I love the inspiration pics that Irene posted those chairs are all great accent pieces.

Keep looking through photos on houzz, trying different key words and all sorts of different filters. Don't over analyze things, just use your gut reaction to whether you like something or not. Save the photo to your ideabook, and note what you like about it after you do this for awhile, when you start to look back through what you've saved, you'll probably see some patterns emerge about what you like. The more you know about what you like and want, the easier it will be to come up with a list of criteria for each piece you want to get.

Another place I think you should take a look at for inspiration is Design Within Reach (dwr.com). They carry furniture by popular midcentury designers that are still made to the specs of the originals. They are pretty spendy, but if you like the look of something, you can probably find a good knockoff of the piece for considerably less.

Anne Danz a remercié DH
  • shirlpp
    il y a 6 ans

From what I understand gray is on it's way out....so, if you are buying a sofa in two years, this can all change.

• drdeb1234
    il y a 6 ans

I get the feeling gray is going out as a "use everywhere" colour. Walls, kitchen cabinets etc.

I don't think as a single neutral item like a sofa, there's any risk of it looking dated.

(full disclosure: I have a dark gray sofa and love it!)

• shirlpp
    il y a 6 ans

Fair enough!

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

i wish to point out again that you should at least have your large pieces of furniture before you paint the walls, other wise they really may not go together.

• ocotillaks
    il y a 6 ans

Why don't you turn it into a cool living room mini golf course?

• sheilaskb
    il y a 4 ans

I love the green carpet, and the midcentury modern furniture is just what this room needs! if you want to change anything, paint the walls white and add curtains in a harmonizing shade of white.

• misecretary
    il y a 4 ans

@sheilaskb FYI this is a post from 2 years ago

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».