Houzz Logo Print
cosmera

Granite vs Quartz: Kitchen design quandry

cosmera
il y a 6 ans

I found this slab: Aries. I fell in love with it. My kitchen is very boring and I can really only afford to replace the counters, backsplash, cooktop and oven. I would love to do the cabinets as well, but if I have time, I may restain them or paint them. I am getting a black cooktop and stainless wall oven. My plan for a backsplash is a long subway tile 3x8 or 4x12 matte white/off-white.

I started doing a bunch of research because everything I hear now is how "in" quartz is and granite is "out". All the design shows I watch use quartz or marble. I read that quartz is more durable and heat resistant. Granite needs to be sealed, and even so will etch and stain with acidic food - lemons, lemonade, oranges and tomatoes are staples in my kitchen. I have kids. Carless kids. But I really like the movement in this slab. Quartz is a little dull to me. I love marble but it is way too soft. But grainite is really out, so I looked at some quartz that has the marble look. But to me, it looked like a photo copy image. It didnt' look natural. So, I move forward. Here are my nestings.

I can't decide which I like better. I like the countertop in the 2nd nesting, but I cannot decide on the island. Now the more I look at them, I wonder if I am making a very expensive mistake? Will I get sick of them since they are so busy? Should I go with a subtle counter and a busier backsplash? Am I overdoing the counter because my kitchen now is so boring? Will quartz be better for resale in 5 years?

About 1-1/2 years ago, I painted the main level of my home Benjamin Moore Hillsboro Beige. So the wall color is staying. The cabinets will either get painted or stained. I only have about 20 LF of backsplash. The other thing I like about the Aries granite is that with all the coloration in it, I am not locked into a color scheme. Is quartz a better choice? If I go with the granite, which island is better? Also, someone said that my slab is a combo of granite and quartzite, two different stones which have different properties and cold more easily crack or chip. Is the fact that there are large chunks of quartzite going to be an issue? Afterall, quartz is really in and granite is really out.....

Commentaires (50)

• saratogaswizzlestick
    il y a 6 ans

I have been in my house 17 years and have granite. I cook a lot and use many acidic things such as vinegar and citrus fruits. I also put pans piping hot from the oven right on my countertop and it looks exactly as it did the day it was installed. Before I purchased my grante I took a sample home and beat the heck out of it. I put red wine, vinegar, ketchup, mustard and more on my sample and burning hot pans. The only thing that has every made a temporary mark on my granite has been oil left on it which came out easily with a homemade poultice. Test your sample and get what you love. I remember when corian was the trend now it is out of style. I do feel natural materials will date less than man made.

cosmera a remercié saratogaswizzlestick
  • Christine Smith
    il y a 6 ans
    For starters I️ am not a designer but the granite looks way too cool for the warm honey color of the cabinets and floor. The cabinets would definitely need to be a different color to go with the granite. Are you changing the floor as well?
  • Christine Smith
    il y a 6 ans
    I️ know you say you just painted recently but the wall color is off as well. May not be too boring if another color is chosen.
  • cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

No the floors are there to stay. I wonder if I should post a photo without such bright lighting. The cabinets do look much brighter. Bit perhaps you are right. I should take a door to the fabricator and see how they look together. Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't even think.of the flooring. All I was worried about was the paint.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Sara..there is no sample of my slab to play with. What do you think of the nestings?

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

This is my paint. I took a sample with me and both the salesperson and I thought it blended well with the slab, but the floor and cabinets do concern me now.

• Christine Smith
    il y a 6 ans
    Take cabinet door with you to look at the granite. When you are in those fabulous stone showrooms it’s hard to remember exactly what color your cabinets are. The paint looks good with it because they are both cool colors. The granite is beautiful.
    cosmera a remercié Christine Smith
  • jck910
    il y a 6 ans

From the posted pictures I don't feel the countertop goes with your cabinets but that could just be my monitor. When you say there is "no sample of my slab to play with" then how did you choose it?

• mark_rachel
    il y a 6 ans

I really tried to like quartz, but it's just not my style. I like it in other kitchens, but it's not something I would enjoy in my space. We just put 84 sq ft of amazing granite in our kitchen & I'm totally in love. Get what YOU want.

cosmera a remercié mark_rachel
  • cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I went to the showroom with a paint sample and looked at all the slabs. They only have samples of the more common and uniform stone. The 2 slabs that I chose are noticeably different from the third slab from the cuttings (?). For instance, the white is more grey in the third slab, but it also has pearlesence, where mine does not.

• Christine Smith
    il y a 6 ans
    Have you bought about going in a different direction for the counters if the flooring and cabinets stay. Black granite?
  • kim k
    il y a 6 ans
    Jck- i believe she means no smaller sample to bring home and test out to see if it will stain or etch.
    cosmera a remercié kim k
  • PRO
    New England Design & Construction
    il y a 6 ans

Some quartz slabs look great, you just have to find the right one for you. Here is an example of a project using Statuario Venato:

Kitchen, Family Bath, and Half Bath in Brookline · Plus d'infos

Kitchen, Family Bath, and Half Bath in Brookline · Plus d'infos

That being said, follow what speaks to you. You're the one who is going to be living with the material and seeing it every day. What would make you happiest?

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

In my house I feel like the black counters would be way too dark. I had brown and black in my old home and I loved the look. I am not sure it would work in this house. I do want to change my cabinet color though. I am tired of all that oak.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

mark_rachel - I know I need pattern after having Corian.

• mark_rachel
    il y a 6 ans

HA! I just ripped out Corian too!! Another product that other people love that I just don't. I love your choice by the way & it's very similar to the granite I selected.

cosmera a remercié mark_rachel
  • Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

So so much woody/warm/yellowy-beige in your kitchen. Maybe that is where your "boring" is coming from. I don't think that granite is going to do a thing to improve the kitchen. At the very least, repaint and get rid of that dull beige. Then go back to the stoneyard with a cabinet door and paint sample.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

The problem is, the open concept. I would have to paint the family room, living room and dining room in addition to the kitchen. That would mean redecorating the entire main floor!

• jhmarie
    il y a 6 ans

Computer monitors are not true to color, so I can't really tell if your granite choice will work. Try taking a door with you to the stone yard.

Granite is not "out". - That is just marketing to try to make people not like what they have and go out and get new stuff. It is very durable. Some places mis-label stone, so it is important to be sure that what you have is a granite and not a marble. Marbel is somewhat popular, but many find it hard to live with.

There are some common granites that are not much more $ than laminate and they are often put in homes by people trying to sell their home and want to "upgrade" to granite. Those granite are a little less appealing to many. What you have picked out is not one of hose less expensive granites.

Your choice of a simple backsplash is right on. Let the counters be the star.

From what I can tell, your granite is warmer than my quartz color wise, and I have similar cabinets:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

Here is a thread about different types of stones:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/countertop-geology-part-six-lets-talk-about-rocks-some-more-dsvw-vd~2692150

Your cabinets appear to be maple and warmer, natural tones are returning to style - though door styles like mine and yours are not. I don't care what is on trend - have embraced the vintage look.

cosmera a remercié jhmarie
  • auntthelma
    il y a 6 ans

The second is way more dramatic and special. Go with that.

Resale? Anyone would be pleased to have such a unique and beautiful countertop.

cosmera a remercié auntthelma
  • chiflipper
    il y a 6 ans

As The World's Sloppiest Cook I can attest that granite is damn near indestructible (tomato sauce, red wine left all night), just use a trivet or cutting board. I've never had mine sealed after the install.

cosmera a remercié chiflipper
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

granite doesn't etch. Calcite etches. calcite is the mineral that marble is mostly made of. granite is a different type of rock. Quartzite is also different but may have calcite deposits in them, causing some etching. all depends on your slab.

this is a close up of Aries white. see the shiny white looking sections? those are quartz deposits. My granite also has these. I've never had an issue w/staining or etching.

This is Aries Gold, I believe. something like this one may work better w/your cabinets and flooring. The one you've picked may be called Royal White, and is a bit 'cooler' looking. If you plan on painting your cabinets white, it will work better.

cosmera a remercié Beth H. :
  • athomeeileen
    il y a 6 ans

I love your Corian! Paint the walls throughout the downstairs instead of doing the granite. Are you looking to sell soon? Any buyer who cares if your counters are in or out will have more of a problem with your cabinets than counters. Repaint, replace backsplash and get a pretty fabric window treatment. You have a pretty kitchen!

cosmera a remercié athomeeileen
  • cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Beth,

I was thinking of painting the cabinets a soft white, but that kind of scares me because I have so much wood (columns, fireplace mantle, built-ins) in my family room that is adjacent to my kitchen. I don't know if it will look funny to have the kitchen cabinets one color and everything else another? I was debating between staining a medium tone brown or painting a soft white. Any opinions?

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

athomeeileen, I am bored to tears with my Corian. It is a dull brown island and the counter is cream. It needs to be replaced. It stains very easily and has a few chips out of it. It was installed in the 80's or early 90's and it shows. Besides, the backsplash is horrific!!! ;^0

• Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

Unless you just love love love wood, my vote would be to paint. Plenty of homes with painted cabs and wood trim in rest of house. Mine is one of them. Lot of work though, a LOT. Do it right, and it will be worth it.

• friedajune
    il y a 6 ans

is how "in" quartz is and granite is "out"...I read that quartz is more durable and heat resistant. Granite needs to be sealed, and even so will etch and stain with acidic food - lemons, lemonade, oranges and tomatoes are staples in my kitchen

Granite is not out. Certain inexpensive granites that builders installed by the truckload in mass housing, those are out. The lovely one you pictured is not one of those.

I have never sealed granite in my life, and do not baby my counters. Office buildings are constructed of granite. But there are some granite varieties that do need sealing. That takes 5 minutes. If you can wipe, you can do it, once or twice a year, and the sealer is available inexpensively at Home Depot. The way to tell if your particular granite type needs sealer is to drip some water on it, wait 10 minutes. If the water is absorbed, you need to seal. If the water remains sitting on top of the stone, it doesn't need sealing.

The granite pictured in your OP looks like granites called "Alaska White" or "Bianco Antico". They do not need sealing.

The choice between quartz and granite is about style and appearance. Do you want the more uniform look of quartz, or do you prefer the patterns of granite. That's personal taste.

cosmera a remercié friedajune
  • cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Chess, what about the ajoining room, columns, banister, mantle and two huge sets of built-ins with bottom cabinets?

• athomeeileen
    il y a 6 ans

Sounds like your Corian has served its time then. I have pine walls and ceilings with cream cabinetry. It's a nice relief from all the wood. I think your cabinets would look good painted.

cosmera a remercié athomeeileen
  • Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

Post a pic of adjoining areas.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

post a pic cos, but since this granite will just be in the kitchen, i'm thinking if you do those cabs in your soft white, it should be fine. plenty of homes have white kitchens and adjoining rooms w/wood accents. You may like the look, that you decide to paint the book cases too. personally, I dislike wood baseboards and a lot of wood door casing and such, but that's just me. for me to really like it, it has to be really nice wood and go w/the style of the home. I loathe the 80's and 90's oak trim.

• cpartist
    il y a 6 ans

Also if you plan on selling your house in a few years, no one is not going to buy it because of the granite on the counters.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

If you really like it, get it. It looks nice in your kitchen. maybe get some new hardware, handles, in nickel finish. change your bulbs to cooler white, and perhaps some new stools/

later, you could look on Craigslist for a SS microwave/oven for a great price. I did this in our rental. found a killer deal on there because there was a scratch on the side that you can even see. saved 1300 bucks. Microwaves can be had for $150

Backsplash tile,,,find what you want on a clearance or closeout. you only need a small amount. when store only have small lots leftover, they really mark down the price. or again, craigslist. people often overbuy materials, can't return it, so they sell it for half price. I found some really nice marble tile, hardwood flooring and other items for a steal.

painting the cabs is up to you. you could always just do the island if you like.

here are some before and afters if you want to see some changes.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Here is my kitchen dining

And several shots of the family room - Note all the crown molding, ledges, columns and built ins.....LOTs of wood!

My dining room/living room

the living room shots.

I am replacing the cooktop & micro/oven combo to match the fridge and dishwasher. I do plan on updating all the hardware. And I do love painted cabinets....I just don't know if it will look right to do only the kitchen cabinets when I have to much wood. And there is no way I will paint it all.

This is the backsplash tile I fell in love with, but I am afraid it may be too yellow. I am waiting until the stone is installed before I make up my mind. Because depending on which part of the slab you hold it up to, the look completely changes. AND, I found it almost half price online!! Now if I could only get a decent bid on my tile. The price I got seems extremely expensive for less than 20 SF. But, maybe it is just that expensive now. But, that is a whole other post, isn't it!

And if this doesn't work, a long matte subway tile. I am sick of regular sized subway tile. It seems to be in every kitchen and bath you see.

Simple and elegant....but not that stark white, more cream.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

that first tile looks like random bar travertine. you can find that everywhere and it's cheap. so hold off on that one. I can find it for you elsewhere for less than$10 a sq ft. the one you have is far too pink. you need a nice ivory travertine.

I could always find you something different if you want something else. I have a thousand different backsplash tiles in my files.

just to show you what travertine would look like,,,here is a very similar granite to what you picked (keep in mind it's a bit yellow from the lighting) and a travertine backsplash.

you linear bar travertine....

and a linear bar w/mixed shades of travertine.

Lowes carries this one. Anatolia Ivory. this would work.

and man,,that is a lot o'wood! and it's that light color stain too. Wow. you could do the bookcases, the baseboard molding and the crown in the fireplace room.

You don't want to know what I would do!

It's up to you though. start w/the kitchen if you want. that light stain color on those cabs are 1993. I'd paint the island dark. or stain it an espresso or ebony. the dark/black would look so good against the oak floor and that granite. I'd do the other parts in the white. then I'd get a new pantry door w/glass. like a salvage door. antique. and do a milk paint treatment on it.

• Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

"You don't want to know what I would do!"

LOL!!

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Beth - you crack me up! I would love to know what you would do, but it would probably depress me because it would be too much for me to handle! I love your ideas. So, the bottom one is available at Lowes? Do you think the mixed travertine linear bar wouldn't be too busy with my counter? I will order samples of several tiles and once the stone is installed, add some pics with the samples.

So, you think it would be ok to paint just the kitchen and leave the rest oak? Or should I just live with what I have and paint the island only??? I love the idea of the new pantry door! That is a great idea!

• Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

"So, you think it would be ok to paint just the kitchen and leave the rest oak? "

I absolutely would do that.

cosmera a remercié Chessie
  • cat_ky
    il y a 6 ans

Your cabinets are beautiful and look to be in excellent condition, why would you want to paint them, and then have to be touching them up for years. I like the granite you picked out, but, quite honestly, the worst thing in your kitchen, is the very bland, very dull and very boring paint color. Put something on the walls, that will compliment your beautiful cabinets. Some type of color, maybe a light green, or a pale aqua. No grays, or beiges, or tans, or anything with orangy tint in it. Once that is done, then revisit your countertop and backsplash plans.

• cpartist
    il y a 6 ans

With that stunning stone, I would not get a backsplash tile with any pattern in it and certainly not another stone. Get a simple plain ceramic tile. If you want a bit of "pattern" in it, get one with a crackle surface.

I also agree with cat_ky that you can absolutely paint your kitchen a complementary color to the rest of the house since the columns visually separate it from the other rooms.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I am not an aqua or light green type person. I am into earth tones. The kitchen was pale yellow, it reminded me of a baby's room and my bedroom was light green. Just not me. The basement bathroom was bright blue - gone. Basement bedroom was orange - gone. Spare bedroom spruce green - gone. I like my color in my accents, not on my walls. I may be boring, but I like browns, greys, sage, creams, burgundy. Pastels are not my thing and brights don't suite me either. I want calm and relaxing when I get home. I'll change up my pillow, throws, light shades etc. But I am so sick of light oak I cannot even tell you! They are dull and are a bit worn. If I don't paint or restain them, they will need to have the doors and drawers refinished. My last home had oak floors and cabinets.

Painting the kitchen....the wall that the columns are on lead to the dining room. Don't you think it would look odd to have that one wall a different color than the rest?

I am concerned about painting the cabinets and having to touch them up, but I don't think I like them with the color of the counter. And I have already bought my slab. So I a committed at this point. I can't wait to get rid of my country backsplash! It is the ugliest thing! Can you see the random houses set in the tile? I have been waiting to tear that out since I moved in 4 years ago!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

if the cabinets are prepped and done correctly, there won't be any need to touch up. I help my friend paint her cabs 10 years ago. we sanded and primed and used, of all god awful things, Behr paint (this was before I knew better). To this day she hasn't had one chip or crack.

Anyway, if you do them yourself its a sh%$ton of work. If you are going to pay someone, make sure you find out what the steps are. a pro cabinet painter (not house painter) will charge you 4-6K to do those correctly. if you find someone to do it for 1999.00, then you will indeed have chips in your future.

I have a link if you want to do them yourself,

https://www.evolutionofstyleblog.com/2012/01/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-like.html

as for the other oak, start w/the kitchen for now. you can paint the other parts a little at a time. it's a huge job. paint an hour a day until you're done, if thats what you want to do. (and yes,,that's what'd I do! The whole enchilada)

pantry idea

your granite is also called Alaska White or Delicatus White,,,,it's very similar to what you have picked. here are some examples of what it looks like w/different cabs and backsplash.

• Christine Smith
    il y a 6 ans

That sounds like a lot of different colors in one house!!

So you have the granite -- go ahead and paint the cabinets since they are a bit worn anyway. A creamy white that goes with the granite sounds good. The floors will tie into the other woodwork in the adjoining rooms. I would do a very simple backsplash and let the granite be the star. Then you can see if the walls look ok. Instead of painting all that woodwork you could always just do the crown molding and the trim around the windows, or not. I am not a fan of a lot of oak woodwork but I have it as well in my family room and laundry room with a lot of builtins. I changed all the hardware to oil rubbed bronze which helped.

Post pics when you are done. Good luck.

cosmera a remercié Christine Smith
  • cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Thanks all. Beth, you have been a tremendous help! I have a friend who is a house painter. But if I tell him the steps I want him to take, he will. With my work load, it would take me a year just to get the kitchen done. It may have to wait a while for the cabinets if it is that expensive! How do I go about finding a painter that specializes in cabinets?? I would like to get a few bids.

• Chessie
    il y a 6 ans

Agree with Beth H. For reference, I painted my own cabs (30 doors and 15 drawers), with soffit, as the first part of my painting my entire kitchen, adjoining dining room, and stairway. The first part alone took me 6 very long days (all day, into wee hours of the mornings) plus 3 long evenings after work. Full prep, quality materials. I was exhausted. But very very pleased. :-)

cosmera a remercié Chessie
  • Anthony C
    il y a 6 ans

it might not be the color but the arches in the doors. It might be if you replaced the doors ( about 150/each) and added new pulls that would be sufficient. Also change the pantry door to match.

Our old kitchen was a honey maple with shaker style doors and black granite from 2000 and I still loved them in 2016 when we sold the house. We changed the pulls to update and it made a big difference. So for me if you just changed your doors to shaker style in the same color, it would actually be really easy to do and could look great.

We are about to do white shaker style with white marbly quartz in our new house and Im definitely going to miss my maple cabinet doors.

If I posted it here everyone would be like that white on white is so dated!

cosmera a remercié Anthony C
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

Cos...that link I posted from Evolution of Style blog, she goes through all of the steps. Proper prep work is prob 75% of the work involved in painting these cabs. If you can find a painter who does all of that prep work, and then takes everything back to his shop to spray (spray the built-ins on site) and gives you a guarantee, you should be fine. if you painter friend wants to do them, follow the steps from that link. She has the most detailed how-to I've seen. you can brush the paint, but spraying is so much easier and faster.

• cosmera
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

I really don't have the budget to paint all the wood on the main floor. So I like the idea of changing out the doors to shaker style if the oak looks good with the counters. I will post a picture once the stone is in. If I don't do you really think it will be ok to just have the kitchen cabinets painted? With the intention of leaving it that way???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 6 ans

if the oak looks good w/your new stone, then yes,,you could change out the door style. you could also just get an off white shaker door and have the base cabinets painted to match. refacing isn't cheap. so if you are going to reface, then you might as well get what you want and not just settle for more of that light oak. and do not use HD or Lowes to reface. they are double the cost of a what a local cabinet maker would cost you.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».