Houzz Logo Print
rachel_soysa

Cabinetry Dilemma

Rachel Soysa
il y a 5 ans

Hi

We are planning a renovation which includes a new extension comprising of open plan kitchen, dining and living.

I have my heart set on white shaker style cabinetry for the kitchen - black hardware, black freestanding cooktop/oven/range, white subway tile splashback in herringbone and polished concrete counter tops - so its modern traditional. (our house is a 1920s bungalow so the shaker style in my mind is to keep some character flowing through into the new extension.)

Imagine you are walking down the hallway and come into the new open plan living area - on the left hand side is the kitchen with L shaped layout and big island in the middle - this faces the dining and then onto the deck. On the right is the living area which also faces out onto the deck...on this side we have additional cabinetry (so symmetrical to the kitchen along the back wall) which will be a small bar and a big linen cupboard.

The shaker style only comes in 2-pack - but getting the kitchen and the bar/linen done in 2-pack is pushing us a couple grand over our budget.

Husband is suggesting we keep the kitchen shaker and just do the bar/linen in plain white laminate (but keep matching hardware).

My view is that this will look completely mismatched - as there is only the 1.5m doorway separating the kitchen cabinetry from the bar/linen...they are along the same wall. Hubby thinks it will be fine and not noticeable. The bar would have the same splashback and bench top as the kitchen.

I'm devastated to not be able to do the shaker style at all but don't want this new extension to look mismatched ...as built in cabinetry is not something you would ever change for a long long time!

Thoughts??

Commentaires (23)

• bigreader
    il y a 5 ans
    They are very close to have them different. I think you’d regret it. How tight is your budget going to be after the build? If you’ll have the cash in the next twelve mths or so I’d leave the bar area without doors to be added later. Or find savings elsewhere?
  • bigreader
    il y a 5 ans
    Are you able to get a quote from an alternative supplier? Just as a sanity check.
  • annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

I understand about wanting symmetry, but does the bar/linen joinery have to be white? Could you have it a darker colour so the difference in profile is not the basis for comparison?

• Rachel Soysa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

annb1997 I did have a thought last night to maybe do it in like a dark grey and it becomes like a feature wall in itself - as the cabinetry will be built up to the ceiling..that way the splashback and concrete top for the bar could still tie in with the kitchen...

• annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

Are you able to post a pic of the profile of the Shaker doors and which colour of white? And what product will you use for bar/linen joinery, ie Polytec, Laminex, or similar? Would you consider using same dark colour for your Shaker island as the bar/linen joinery? This would also help to tie the two areas together.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    il y a 5 ans
    I agree with Rachel. A white laminate bar will not only look mismatched but be a daily reminder that you ran out of money at the end of the project. If you can't find the money then buy enough matching cabinetwork hardware for the bar and postpone the bar construction until you have the funds to do it properly.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro
    of Dr Retro House Calls
  • siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

I have to agree with Dr Retro, but having said that, what is your flooring.

• Rachel Soysa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Flooring will be timber spotted gum.

We'd prefer to do it all at once as we are getting a good price from the cabinet maker to do kitchen, linen, WIR etc... It's just the upgrade to shaker 2-pack that he didn't factor in to his original quote

• siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

would you consider a timber laminate to match your floor and use concrete top for bar, no handles on these cheers

• siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

On thinking about your classic Shaker style white cabinets with black detail and concrete counters, why not just plain matt black bar and linen cabinets which concrete bar, that's classic cheers

• Nicole A
    il y a 5 ans

Have you compared the cost of thermolaminate, which you can get in the shaker style (eg oberon profile https://www.polytec.com.au/products/kitchen-bathroom-and-laundry/thermolaminated-door-styles/)?

The cost difference may be enough to allow you to get both the kitchen and bar/linen.

Apparently it is much improved in quality and durability compared to the old "vinyl wrap".

• Rachel Soysa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Nicole thanks for the suggestion... I just went online to look at the product reviews and it hasn't filled me with confidence unfortunately! I think it's too risky...

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/polytec.html

• annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

Just wondering if you had your cabinet maker price vinyl wrap?

https://diamondinteriors.org/2016/10/05/what-is-the-difference-between-vinyl-wrap-and-two-pack/

• annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

Ahh I see question has already been asked & answered.

• siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

Agree Clever CC it's very much accepted to mix and match and matt black doors would be perfect

• Rachel Soysa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thanks Clever CC - do you think mixing and matching the door profile, not just the colour - will be ok also? I was thinking a textured laminate/melamine in like a charcoal grey woograin finish - no handles or anything, just flat profiles...and then the white shaker for the kitchen.

• PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Rachel,a plain slab melamine door is hardly a profile. To me it reads as just a material selection. So yes, I think mixing the two door styles of shaker and slab is perfectly fine, it's a bit like thinking of the slab doors as background and shaker doors as feature. Especially if you select a matt finish.

You could think of it in fashion terms as the shaker doors are your wow factor jacket or top, handles jewellery and the matt black slab a classic pair of denim jeans. Can look a lot more interesting than a full on pant suit:)

• Nicole A
    il y a 5 ans

Excellent analogy :) !

• PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 5 ans

thanks Nicole A

• Rachel Soysa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I love this!!!!!! thank you!

• PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I'm so glad,Rachel Soysa ! Thanks for your reply- makes it worth the effort for us pro's to enjoy the people side as well as design side:)

• siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

seems we had the same idea Clever Closet Company,

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».