Houzz Logo Print
kjenshoej

Island Range Hood - Need advice

kjenshoej
il y a 5 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 5 ans

Hi!

We are in the process of trying to finalize our Range hood purchase and need some advice. When looking at Houzz a lot of small brand names keep coming up as top 2018 choices and while purchasing a range hood at that lower price range is appealing we are also skeptical.

What we are looking for:

- Island Range Hood

- 30 or 36"

- Glass surface cover

What we have found so far as feasible price options:

- Fridigaire: FHPC3660LS 36" Island Hood - Stainless Steel

- Golden Vantage: Stainless Steel 30" Euro Style Island Mount Range Hood GVAI-30

- Cosmo: 36 in. Ducted Island Range Hood in Stainless Steel with LED Lighting and Permanent Filters

- Eureka: 36 in. Ducted Island Range Hood in Stainless Steel with LED Lighting and Permanent Filters

- Broan-Nutone: EI5936SS 36" 500 CFM Curved Glass Canopy w/ Electronic Controls for Island

- Zline: 36 in. 760 CFM Island Mount Range Hood in Stainless Steel

The price range for these range hoods are $300-800 which is more acceptable then the 1,400-2,500 range options you can find online, however for the most part we don't recognize the brand names. We do have a preference for quality products but at the same time don't want to break the bank on each of our appliances. We use our vent hood maybe a dozen times a year so we just want to make sure it is good quality and meets our style needs.

Does anyone on this forum have insight into these options or can recommend something else?

Thanks!

Kirsten

Commentaires (15)

• zneret
    il y a 5 ans

Eureka is known for cheaper vacuum cleaners. Didn't know they were in the range hood biz.

Broan makes budget range hoods and NuTone is better known for bath ventilation fans.

Depending on whether you really cook or not, I'd personally go for a powerful range hood, even if you have to spend money.

• kaseki
    il y a 5 ans

Broan absorbed NuTone quite a few years ago. They continued NuTone's lifetime guarantee for about 10 years before dropping it.

• User
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Cheepchinesecrapola fake American names. That will be terribly ineffective and loud. Duct size minimum should be 8” and sones should be in low 6’s on high. Buy a Ventahood. Especially for island cooking. There’s no substitute for quality ventilation keeping your home clean.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

I have always found vent-a -hood to be both efficient and long lasting they are a bit more expensive but to me worth the money.

• Judy Mishkin
    il y a 5 ans

i'd be iffy on the glass bit. i love my island hood and all but dusting the top of the glass and cleaning the bottom of it too is a bit finicky for over a cooktop. esp. since you'd need to do it from a step stool.

• friedajune
    il y a 5 ans

Glass hoods, as mentioned above, look dirty quickly. But worse, they do not have the capture ability that a stainless steel canopy or pyramid shape hood would have. Also, glass hoods almost always have mesh filters. Baffle filters are preferred, because mesh filters become quickly clogged with grease and therefore need cleaning more frequently or the hood function is impaired.

What width is your cooktop or range? Your island hood must be 6" wider than your cooktop.

Must your cooktop be installed in an island? You make things more difficult that way, because an island hood is more expensive, and needs more power than a hood on the wall because an island hood has nothing to assist with containment, so it must be bigger and more powerful than a wall hood.

Try looking at the ajmadison website. It has very useful searching features to help you find a hood with features you want.

(why do I have the feeling that Kirsten will never return?)

• Judy Mishkin
    il y a 5 ans

since they go in the dishwasher... i just throw the mesh filter in when i'm loading up. true, you cant forget its there and needs cleaning.

• Helen
    il y a 5 ans

I just finished researching hoods. Vent A Hood is a great hood but the reviews indicated that it was more difficult to clean the filters than comparable brands.

Knowing myself, I immediately eliminated it as an option LOL. Evidently it uses something called a squirrel cage instead of the more standard filter construction of other brands.

• zneret
    il y a 5 ans

I don't think the mesh filters work that well. They trap dirt and grease adheres to that.

I will be on my 2nd dual-fan wall-mounted Vent-a-Hood. I find its effectiveness is worth the money and cleaning effort.

For the ones that I have, the baffle/grease trap is a tray (now simple pull out instead of screw-on) that is the first line of cleaning. The hamster wheel rotary fans work quite nicely and there is a cage that surrounds them that you can take out easily for cleaning (2 latches). The cages can get caked in dust and grease though and are more effort to clean.

Was at a neighbours' house yesterday looking at their $$$$ reno. Modern-looking Frigidaire hood that probably does nothing (but it does have a very short run before venting out through the wall..

• kjenshoej
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks for all this input everyone! Sorry for not responding earlier... I’ve been running around all day due to family being in town.

Thanks for the thoughts about the filters as well as the thoughts about glass vs steel. We were actually just discussing that same thing.

We are still on the search but will definitely check out the the ventahood.

If I have some more questions I’ll reach out

Kirsten
  • kaseki
    il y a 5 ans

Baffle style filters work by centrifugal expulsion of the grease particles onto the baffle surfaces (at least at the larger end of the particle size spectrum). To achieve this there has to be some minimum air flow velocity through the baffles, varying somewhat on the details of the baffle design. One wouldn't want to use a baffle filter in a hood with an inadequate air flow rate.

Hence, for the [appearance of a hood] hoods that are provided with marginal (at best) blowers, mesh filters are probably more effective. They work by particle collision onto the mesh surfaces. Dense meshes -- desirable for low flow velocities -- would have too high a pressure loss at the high volumetric air flow rates that a more capable hood must achieve. As long as one cannot see through the mesh, most of the grease laden air will come into contact with the mesh material surface and deposit grease.

Mesh filters shouldn't depend on lint collection to meet their performance objective, so routine cleaning is advised or the air flow will drop even further.

kas

• kaseki
    il y a 5 ans

Also, I should remind the audience that cooking plumes from island cooking surfaces are more susceptible to cross drafts from every direction, and that there is no wall helping to direct inward flow. This leads to a need for a larger than typical hood, both side-to-side and front-to-back. To keep the air flow up where it needs to be for good containment, there is also a need for significantly more air flow rate (CFM) to match this larger size, and the counterpart make-up air system required commensurately higher flow.

kas

• Frank McGuire
    il y a 3 ans

What did you decide finally? It isn't an easy decision, now looking for Island range hood also. I've read in this article that Firebird RH0357 is the best choice right now, what do you think about it?

• kaseki
    il y a 3 ans

This forum has many hood threads, some directed specifically at island hoods. There is also the "Hood FAQ" thread. And we mustn't forget that any likely effective island hood will require deliberate make-up air, probably configured as a system in itself. Please review what has been described already before attempting to deviate into hood designs that may be intended only for aesthetics.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5161173/hood-faq#n=72

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».