Houzz Logo Print
melinda_tuivaga

Street front appeal (how to get it)??

Melinda Joan
il y a 5 ans
We have pulled out the complete front garden and now our weirdly shaped house is so exposed. We will be putting in a hedge all around the border and cleaning the bricks on the fence but am seeking advice on how else I can turn this pigs ear into a silk purse (please be nice, this is a much loved family home) Thanks Houzzers

Commentaires (8)

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    il y a 5 ans

I'd mulch down and save up to get the roof all the same height.

• PRO
    Excalibur Metal Design
    il y a 5 ans

You have a beautiful home but we think a railing on your front porch would make a huge difference! Here's a few pictures of some we've done recently to give you some ideas. Hope this helps!

• Sandybean
    il y a 5 ans
    Yeah,that roof line is harsh. I don't think cleaning the brick will do much. I say paint it...the house and the wall. Consult a local landscape designer. They will tell you what grows best and where to plant it. I think the house could look good with a few changes. Good luck.
  • Sandybean
    il y a 5 ans
    Oh, and please don't keep your trash can in the front yard.
  • Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    il y a 5 ans

Why do some of the “pros” refer to themselves as “we”. So pretentious! Do you really expect us to believe you have a team responding to gardenweb posts. Lol. If you do you obviously don’t have any clients or you’d be busy working on their projects. “We” doesn’t sound more professional, just silly. Sorry...pet peeve. We is for people who don’t have confidence in their own opinions or don’t want to accept accountability for what they say!! Ok. Rant over. Maybe I need more coffee. Lol

• Denita
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I think landscaping will be the best thing you can do to unify this home. The very best thing you can do is bring in a landscape designer. Your local nursery probably has one, either on staff or knows of a few good contacts. Not the big box stores. Check the landscape forum here on Houzz too for ideas.

I have never seen a mansard roof with two different materials like your home: tile on top and shingle for the rest. I usually see the roof material as shingle, like below. Having said that, if you click on the 'more info' link in the second pic, you will see the portico roof is actually copper and the mansard is shingle.

Exteriors · Plus d'infos
    Mansard Roof Facelift · Plus d'infos

The other disconnect that jumps out is the type of column on the porch. It seems to conflict with the other elements on your home.

• PRO
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga
    il y a 5 ans

Focus on the landscaping, not the roof! I love the porch and agree that some new, more relaxed/comfy furniture would be great. Something like -

Gordon Park residence · Plus d'infos

Summer · Plus d'infos

Maybe even replace the brick wall with a wall thats able to have plants along to top?

Nedlands Residence · Plus d'infos

These native colours could look great with the house colouring too -

Northcote Studio · Plus d'infos

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».