Houzz Logo Print
nikki_goergen

Lipstick for Kitchen

Nikki
il y a 5 ans

Within the next 5-10 years we would like to completely renovate the kitchen by changing the layout and adding beautiful counter tops and potentially opening it up into the family room. In the meantime, we'd like to find a way to update it without breaking the bank. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We've already taken down the cabinets that separate the kitchen from the dining area which has really opened it up.

I would also appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have about my own ideas below.

1. Paint the cabinets. I like the two toned look but I'm unsure about colors and what to do about the wall of cabinets that go all the way to the ground. I'm also unsure about if we should paint the door trim since it's the same trim that continues throughout the house. I'm willing to paint other areas of the house to make it look cohesive but I also wouldn't want to completely lose the character of the house (if its worth saving).

2. Walls - I love wallpaper but I'm not sure if that would be too much. If I paint, what color?

3. Lighting - Replace the chandelier above the kitchen table. Should we add additional lighting over the countertop?

4. Countertops - can anything be done?

5. Backsplash - since the material for the countertop runs up the wall to the cabinet, can we even put one in? What kind of backsplash should we do above the stove?

Here are pictures of other rooms within the house so you can get a better idea of how it all fits together.

Commentaires (57)

• arcy_gw
    il y a 5 ans

DARK DARK DARK. I feel for you. We had the same thing except add a Formica counter top and back splash that matched the dark cabinets!!! and I had harvest gold or black mixed appliances. I laughed at your time line. Only because in 1999 I thought as you do. FF to now. Floor plan never changed. As suggested above trim all stayed DARK as well as the base cabinets. DH resurfaced all the doors and drawers with Italian Curly Maple veneer. He also redid the counter tops and he tiled the back splash. The expansion NEVER happened thus the temporary on the cheap fix remains. What ever you do do now, be sure you LOVE IT. It may be all you get. LOL

Nikki a remercié arcy_gw
  • nicoletouk
    il y a 5 ans

I disagree with the posters who said five years goes by fast. No, it doesn't. Five years is a very long time to live with something you don't like yet spend so much time in.

However, I do agree with them when they say to have a paint job professionally done. Unless you are willing to spend months on the cabinets and are skilled painters, the job really won't be right.

But all is not lost! I actually don't hate your cabinets! While kind of dark, they are fine. Plus you have ample storage and a good amount of work space.

I think a bigger problem is the dark trim around the windows and doors everywhere, like a kid took a crayon and outlined everything in the house. Dark wood trim in an old craftsman or tudor that is thick and interesting is terrific. Your trim is stock inexpensive builder-grade stuff. It is best to paint it.

(Leave the wood paneling, which looks nice, and the beams and trim in the same room unpainted. Paint the beams in the white room.)

I would...

Keep the cabs as is. Give them a good cleaning and treat them with some wood product that will make the wood glow.

Install a few shelves in the spot where you removed the peninsula cabs.

New hardware on the cabinets.

Try to get a panel to match the cabs and put it next to the stove.

Your counters look to me like Corian, which means lucky you. Why there is a drop in sink I don't know. I personally detest a divided sink and would get a single bowl. An under-mount may be pricy, plus expensive to install - you would have to check that out.

If the counters aren't Corian, what are they? How is the condition?

Look into an inexpensive pendant over the peninsula, plus maybe one over the sink.

The room also needs a few vintage oriental rugs and some artwork.

And that is all something I could live with for five years.

Best of luck to you! Nicole

Nikki a remercié nicoletouk
  • localeater
    il y a 5 ans

The bank of cabinets to the left of the fridge, is there countertop in there? I think I see countertop. I might take those doors off if there is. I might also remove everything to the right of the fridge as it just looks like a clutter collector.

I like your kitchen . I would remove the scallop over the sink. I would live with the kitchen and figure out what functionally doesn’t work for you.

for me, I would have an issue with no counter to the right of the stove. I would live in fear of one of some one tearing around that corner and planting their hand on a hot burner but then again I live in a zoo of football and lacrosse apes. Functionally that would be a big thing for me to address.

Nikki a remercié localeater
  • mabeldingeldine
    il y a 5 ans

I personally would paint the cabinets myself, and remove the scalloped valence. If you are only keeping them for 5 years a DIY job should be fine. I would also paint all the dark trim throughout the house. IMO it emphasizes the small size of baseboard, and top and bottom dark trim makes the ceiling appear low. Be sure to use a high quality primer before painting. If you cannot DIY it, get quotes for a pro job and weigh the cost/benefit to having it done.

The countertops appear to be in good condition, so I'd keep them for now. I agree with others the range so near a doorway is a safety concern. I would investigate adding a narrow cabinet/bookcase there as a buffer. I would also leave the pendant unless it makes you crazy. Every penny saved now gives you more to use in 5 years.

Nikki a remercié mabeldingeldine
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

Professionally coating cabinets averages 7-9K. They don’t use paint. They use conversion varnish.

DIY painting, that looks professional, costs about $1000 by the time you buy the air compressor and gun, and does use paint, which is not as durable. If you practice enough with the spray rig, you might also source conversion varnish to spray, but that just added another $500 to the job. And it takes 6 months of nights and weekend effort to do all of the proper prep work and painting.

DIY hold-me-over painting that doesn’t look professional costs about $500. Brush marks, chips, trash in the finish, and holidays will be common, unless you have a good deal of application experience. And buy the better products that cost more than $500. You’ll need a lot of sandpaper.

DIY is all about time and effort for that sweat equity.

Nikki a remercié User
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    il y a 5 ans

Ya know, Sophie, you really have a way of making the hiring of a pro at whatever expense, sound like an absolute bargain. :P

We had painted cabinets in the kitchen back in SoCal and it wasn't in the budget to strip, stain and finish them so when the rest of the place was being painted we had them do the kitchen cabinets in a high gloss paint which held up surprisingly well with no chips at all no matter how often things were banged up against them and despite how many times the mister got a bit too overzealous with the vacuuming/mopping. The crappy quick coat of 'lightening the entry and stairwell brightening' white paint the stager insisted on for the stair railing and stringer probably had numerous chips and dings in it by the time the new owners moved in their stuff, but hey we're not living there and thus it's the new people's problem!

• anniebird
    il y a 5 ans
    New lighting, new hardware for kitchen cabinets. Remove the wooden balance above the sink. New faucet if necessary. Replace any poor performing appliances. If you sew, a custom fabric Roman shade over sink window.

I wouldn’t spend any money beyond that if you’re going to do a full remodel in 5 years...it’s not a bad kitchen. Your layout is functional and it appears you have some quality appliances (is that a SubZero fridge?). If everything works well, you’ll be money ahead and that much closer to your new kitchen!
    Nikki a remercié anniebird
  • aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

I might be easy-going person or something, but the only thing that bothers me about your kitchen would be a layout(namely stove next to the entrance) and very dark wood of cabinets and trim next to the light yellow wood of flooirng

(I wouldn't even open the kitchen by taking down these cabs with glass, I'd be, like, "cool! more glass for my funky dishes!" so it's personal preference of course.)

So. you're not changing layout now. So I'd marry this dark wood and light wood a bit more. I'd do so with paint(walls..I thought of wallpaper in the dining, but the walls are very textured, right? then it's more prep and all..one thing is going with Tempaper, another is putting a lot of hours into hanging this wallpaper and making sure you know-in advance-your future layour, colorways, etc.)

So I'd be inclined to find a paint I love that goes with both, and makes transition feel a tad softer..maybe I'd put a rug that combines colors a bit in its pattern ..ot vinyl cloth in the kitchen..maybe I'd play with accessories..

I'd put the lighting I love, and art I love, and live happily ever after -or while I think through my big remodel. 5-10 years can be a little or a lot depending on one's age and what happens in this 5-10 years..who knows, by that time you might be inclined to enclose the kitchen more. Or you'll get to love stain more than paint. Or you'll like the idea of combining them both. Or you'll fall in love with a certain stone that'd be star and you will work around it.

Introducing lighting, plants, and light/bright colors always enlivens the space and makes it feel lifghter..even though I don't think your space is dark, at all. But one can do all that if one seeks more uplifting look, whether clean and contemporary, or vintage and fun.

Nikki a remercié aprilneverends
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

Pick a great COLOR for the walls, and start planning the more extensive redo.

Nikki a remercié User
  • graywings123
    il y a 5 ans

My opinions:

1. Paint the cabinets. No

2. Walls - There appears to be minimal wall area in the kitchen, but painting walls is generally a good, inexpensive fix.

3. Lighting - Yes, replace the dining area chandelier. Yes, install under cabinet lights.

4. Countertops - Leave as is.

5. Backsplash - You already have a backsplash in the counter material that goes up the wall.

Additionally: change knobs and pulls on cabinets. You would be surprised at the difference they make. Remove the scalloped valance above the sink.

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

I understood, from the last pic, the pulls are already changed? correct me if I'm wrong

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

That's correct aprilneverends, the pulls have already been changed though to be honest, I don't love them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thank you so much for your opinion, @greywings123. Straight and to the point. Just what I need. Just a couple additional questions. Do you have any suggestions for a chandelier over the dining table? As for lighting under the cabinets, we can do that but it seems as though I wasn't very clear. I was wondering if we should also have pendent lights coming down where we took out the cabinets. Thoughts?

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thank you Sophie Wheeler for the pic of our kitchen with painted walls. That really helps me to envision how it could look. What do you think about a bright teal or peacock blue color?

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

-you might not like the pulls because they're very straightforward, a bit generic, very modern..they spell a certain mood-which your kitchen is not crazy to share, it wants to be cozy, a bit country-ish kitchen. They're not bad pulls, but you might have more fun finding something a bit more "rustic", or curved, or..

-we need to know about your style a bit more before suggesting a chandelier. If pulls hint on you preferring modern, streamlined, no fuss-I believe can be done, but give us a direction. The house is traditional as you mentioned yourself, and is a nice house-but lighting is like a jewellery..you can get away with careful mixing and matching. Still, we need to have an idea of what you like..maybe inspiration pics you saved?

-it seems the distance between your peninsula and dining center is not big? If I'm right-I wouldn't do pendants..the visual lines might interfere. Too many different lights in one place, If the distance is quite big then it might be a different matter,

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I know this probably doesn't help (and is likely the reason why all of this has been so difficult for me) but I think my style is global, eclectic, and traditional. Is that even possible? I'll look for inspirational images. Thank you, aprilneverends.

• Lizzie Bennett
    il y a 5 ans

I'm going to be contrarian and say - go for painting the cabinets. The difference it makes is HUGE and helps you enjoy your home until you can do the "real" remodel. We did it four years ago and don't regret it for a moment ( I wasn't ever going to live with the kitchen as it was: absolutely never; it was literally the ugliest kitchen I'd seen in the house search). I appreciated the clean, bright, fresh look too much to ever regret the decision, even if it was a temporary one. And yes, we hired a painter for a very good price (that will also get much maligned here), but the paint job was great and stayed that way until it was time for it all to go. Anyway, take it for what's it worth, but if you really dislike it, I say - change it: it's your house!

Nikki a remercié Lizzie Bennett
  • aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

it helps a lot, Nikki, it truly does

yes, if you find something you like-post it. even if they are all different. the more the merrier, at this brainstorming stage

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Wow! Lizzie, that paint job really made a difference in your kitchen. When we got a bid from a painter for ours, his estimate was 6K. I don't think I'm willing to spend that much. I'm open to DIYing it but my husband and I are just average with those types of projects.

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

aprilneverends, would it be more helpful to post pictures of chaneliers or just interior design images I like?

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

anything, actually. chandeliers' images will help, and whole pictures of rooms you like will help too, a lot. Some answers on how approach a house will be found in that house itself; some answers, will be found in your preferences and your personal interpretation of things. While designing..decorating, etc, one tries for this relationship between him and his space to develop and..how they call it..:)..thrive.

• Lizzie Bennett
    il y a 5 ans

@Nikki - did you get just one quote? Try getting a couple more. I didn't use a cabinet painter; I used a regular house painter guy. He sprayed the cabinets and used alkyd paint. He charged $1500 - best money ever spent!

Nikki a remercié Lizzie Bennett
  • THOR, Son of ODIN
    il y a 5 ans

DIY cabinet painting may not give a factory finish but it does the job.

A light sanding, a thorough wash with TSP-like product, a gallon of good paint and a week of evenings. Done. If it ever chips add another coat of paint.

I painted my kitchen doors and drawers after spacing them out on old newspapers in the living room. It lasted well for two years and I sold the house for 20% more than I paid for it.

Honestly, people have painted their own kitchen cabinets for the last couple centuries, and as long the goal is not an automotive finish it is fine.

Family Handyman -- 20 Surprising Tips on How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

This kitchen will look great when painted too, yes. Might look amazing. Its character says it will do well being stained kitchen or painted kitchen.

The initial question (very thoughtful one) suggests there's a lot to consider here than just whether to paint cabinets themselves or not

1. Paint the cabinets. I like the two toned look but I'm unsure about colors and what to do about the wall of cabinets that go all the way to the ground. I'm also unsure about if we should paint the door trim since it's the same trim that continues throughout the house. I'm willing to paint other areas of the house to make it look cohesive but I also wouldn't want to completely lose the character of the house (if its worth saving).

So we have question about painting itself , colors, maybe materials(if stain plus paint? then lowers still have this contrast with yellow floors which I indeed find a bit discordant)..how to combine them, whether to continue with painting the trim, where to stop if yes, etc

It's a part of much bigger equation. Becomes part of much bigger equation.

Yes, it matters a lot to what extent Nikki dislikes it in its current state.

I didn't feel much of "I can't stand it", more of a willingness to make a decision which can be this or that..I might be mistaken too, we all read through our own lenses,

In terms of colors-I'd be interested to see that flooring that's not wood..in the entry.

Stones are much bossier than most of woods.

• Kathi Steele
    il y a 5 ans

A large part of the question is.....do you want to spend $1500 or $6000 on a kitchen you plan on renovating in 5 years? OR would you rather save that money and spend it on making the kitchen of your dreams??? Because its $1500 here and $200 there and $300 there and pretty soon, you are in over your head because one thing leads to another.

Get a plan, get organized and then decide. Once you have decided when you will renovate, what you will renovate and the true cost, you will be able to say..."Yes, I can spend $1500 on painting the cabinets now."

My personal opinion is....if you are truly going to renovate in the future, save every penny you can because that renovation's true cost will knock you on your butt.

• Jennifer
    il y a 5 ans

Just another chime in to say you can paint your cabinets yourself with a brush and sandpaper. Is it the end-all be-all? Of course not. But if it will look pretty nice and save your budget for other things then it is definitely an option. We updated our 40-year old oak upper cabinets rather than trashing them for both budgetary reasons and simply rejecting the notion that they belong in a landfill just bc of their color. I bought new hinges from HD, found the solid brass knobs marked down 80% (to $1.80 each!!!) on Century Hardware's site and primed/painted the cabinets after a quick sanding. I bought good paint (Farrow & Ball Strong White) and am very happy. Sure they look like painted 40-year old cabinets but the Judgement Committee are my husband and two boys not Houzz designers.

• Chessie
    il y a 5 ans

You can absolutely paint them yourself. And you sure do not have to spray paint them to look good. The key is the proper prep and using good materials. 6 months of nights and weekends is probably stretching it a bit, but if you include all the trim work, then it adds up. I did my cabinets in 7 days (full LONG days) plus 3 evenings. But that was just the cabinets. All the trim, doors, crown, windows, laundry room and dining room - all that took many months to finish, along with all the walls, stairway and hand rail, carpet, LVT, backsplash, and installing wiring and painting the island. In fact I started this project in April 2017, and JUST put all the paint and tools away a couple of weeks ago.

• Jennifer
    il y a 5 ans

Chess-yeah that's me -- that looks phenomenal. you must be proud!!!

• roarah
    il y a 5 ans

When you removed the cabinets separating the kitchen from the dining room did you save the glass panel doors? If so putting one on each side of the sink might look nice. I would wait a bit and live in the house before making too many changes that way you will know better what you really hate or like about the space.

• Chessie
    il y a 5 ans

Jennifer - Thank you! I do love it.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    il y a 5 ans

Get a tube of Rub-n-Buff if you need to change the color of any exposed hinges to coordinate with new hardware. Lasts just fine and can be easily touched up if needed.

Nikki a remercié THOR, Son of ODIN
  • Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Ok, @aprilneverends, here are some chandeliers I like. They are all very different. I think I just like how unique they are. Where can I find unique and affordable lighting?

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

@Lizzie Bennett, $1500 for painting all your cabinets? I just got another quote and he said it would be $3,000.

• Lizzie Bennett
    il y a 5 ans

@Nikki - I think my guy was lower cost because he's a house painter (does interior + exterior), not a cabinet refinisher.. :(

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

" Where can I find unique and affordable lighting? "

sigh. welcome to the club. lol

I meant to say-check vintage. Comb through eBay, Etsy, Chairish(hadn't best luck with Chairish but it's me)..rubylane (more expensive)..don't forget your local Craigslist and recently more active Nextdoor

when new it's usually either unique, or affordable

vintage is PITA to a degree but it'll give you both

But first narrow down your dimensions. what 's the ceiling height? some chandeliers you love they're for huge ceilings. You say "bye" to them. and it makes it easier. You need to know your ceiling height to know the max legth of your chandelier's body. without the chain-that should also be some minimum length or a chandelier won't look good unless it's semi flash mount or smth like that, and was invented to look good without a chain

Then, know your chandelier's diameter, minimum you can go, maximum you can do. For that you take a space that is to be lighted by a chandelier, length plus width-that's your presumed diameter. (in inches though)) Can change a bit depending on what's your table's width, whether chandelier is visually light (which you seem to prefer), etc

Now, important question..what's the budget?

I had to outfit the whole house, after huge remodel-I always forget that maybe others need just a couple fixtures, and didn't spend money on huge remodel. Thus they can afford to splurge more than me.

I know several cool sites where you can look at new lights. Again, hint on your budget will help. If you have a cool brick and mortar store next to you even better. These are not neccessariy easy to find.

I recognize some of the lights you've posted.

The easiest to find is that clear globe sputnik, they're very popular now and there are lots of knock offs too..that'd be affordable. But not same quality as on your pic, I presume.

Also, if it's for a dining..think about quality of light you want there. Glass and fabric give off more diffused thus flattering light. Metal will make light more directed. Open bulbs will give some shadowing. All can be pretty under different circumstances. Shadows can be cool for mood light, etc. In dining, I personally prefer the most flattering light possible. Less shadows, more diffused. But in any case, make it all part of your decision.

You also need enough light there (better put on a dimmer so you can play with it). So some fixtures, you'll refuse them because they won't be enough.

That's good because there are too many beautiful lights when one starts looking. Really looking. One needs to narrow somewhere.

Now, in terms of style only-I love the first lights you've posted the most-they're modern but they can stand up to your other elements very nicely. They'll play well together. Notice that these are smaller and used repeatedly.

More visually light like that(instead of big solid metal shade that might be overwhelming)-but you'll need more lights if you go that route.

I also like the flowered one but take me with a grain of salt-I'm a big fan of everything flowers. And animals. My dream dining light(that I never bought because it cost like all my lighting together in the end) was a wonderfully shaped flower branch. I have the site/maker if you need it:)

I know some shops on Etsy (that get very good reviews) that make all sorts of modern lights including sputnik kind(I think) and these probably will have the feel that'd be great with your house..they also can make it to your dimensions. The one you posted is a bit too sterile..I adore sputniks but they are of different character, and I think something a bit warmer in its feel might work better here with your very nice house.

Crystals, I like too(lol!sorry..I love lights), your examples are a bit too posh for the dining I think..not because of crystals thermselves, but because of the whole chandelier shape.Too formal next to the cozy kitchen. Other crystal chandeliers might be cool though.

ok..let me summarize it a bit. You need dimensions( your starting point is your ceiling height and the space that is to be lighted)..budget..how you prefer it to function, what do you need from it in terms of wattage etc. Then you look again at all the beauties you'll find. Then it'd be hard part of choosing.

Let me/us know if you need actual links, okay?

and dimensions etc if you want more helpful suggestions, more tailored to your space

what'd be the table..size, shape? sorry if I missed this info

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

@aprilneverends, thank you so much for all of the comprehensive information about lighting. It took me a while to process it all. I'm a little confused about the dimensions we should be looking for. Our table is 48'' in diameter and our ceiling is a little over 8ft. With that in consideration, what size chandelier should we be looking for? I've also attached a couple of photos of chandeliers we could actually afford to buy that have drawn my eye. Let me know your thoughts.

• Lizzie Bennett
    il y a 5 ans

Uhm, @Nikki? LOL! What about your cabinets? What'd you end up doing?

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Honestly, @Lizzie, we still haven't decided. :( I think we try to first find out what the cost of a complete remodel would be and figure out when exactly we could make that happen. If it will be in 10 years instead of 5, then I might just have them painted.

• Lizzie Bennett
    il y a 5 ans

@Nikki - well, be sure to keep us updated - I'd love to know the changes you'll make!

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Will do! :)

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

Nikki, sorry, was out of town..will take me some time to gather my thought and all

Generally, chandelier could take half to two thirds of a table's width..in terms of chandelier's diameter. Ceiling height will play a role. Whether chandelier is visually light will play a role. A room where table stands will play a role.

So you have 48 inch table-I'd say that puts you at 24 inches for your future chandelier's diameter..and since the space seems not big, and the ceilings are standard, more or less-I wouldn't go much bigger than that. Plus minus inch would be fine I guess.

(measure the one you have now..will be interesting to see what diameter it is. Always go for the widest point when measuring, obviously)

Out of all the lights you've posted I like mixed globes one..should give out very nice light..and I like groupings in general. I also can see how it being more modern will be a good partner for your kitchen.

I'd check though:

-whether the height allows me. Loook into specifications..you want the shortest globe to be ideally no less than a foot froom the ceiling. The longest shouldn't interfere with, well, food..say you have a bottle of wine? you want enough clearance for tall objects like that:) you also want to see other people who dine. In short can be low, but common-sense-low.

-whether it gives enough light. Also, specifications should have in it how strong the bulb/s that go into each globe can be. Should be okay; but always check all details like that. Returning big and especially breakable items can be very unpleasant even when free.

Cadiz, would be my second choice..Can't say I'm in love with it, but the shape might make it easier to work with. It being narrower, allows for more chain length.

The first one is interesting yet I'd want more flattering light for the dining spot..this will give you shadows.A lot of them. And the light itself might be harsher because of bare bulbs. I also favor more round shapes for your space. It's hard for me to explain why at the moment..need to think.

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thank you aprilneverends! Our current chandelier is 20 inches in diameter. It seems a little small for me so it seems like 24'' would be just right.

I also really like the sculpture globe chandelier. I looked at the dimensions at it seems like I could hang it so that the first globe falls at 15 inches from the ceiling and the last globe ends at 45 inches from the ceiling leaving 20 inches in between the table and the chandelier. Do you think that would be enough room?

If we decide not to go with this globe chandelier, do you have any thoughts on alternatives that could work?

I'll keep looking as well.

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    il y a 5 ans

Nikki, out of curiosity -- what part of the country are you from?

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

Frankly, recommendation is, generally, 30 inches between the table and the lowest point of the fixture. Not that it's written in stone-mine is 31 inch but it has some central detail that is 29 inch..one wouldn't really know until the fixture is being hanged already

(then you eye it and say "a bit lower! a bit hgher up! no, a bit lower again!" which makes you feel like a bad person ordering people around. lol)

so, it's a bit of an eyeballing game..but unfortunately 20 inches is just too low

what one can probably do-is to shorten that..thingamagic the lowest ball is attached to.

but it will change the overall proportions of course..we're talking ten, or almost ten inches here..they won't have this cascading effect anymore..or not much of it..

as for alternatives..let me think, okay?

I have plenty of lights saved of course, took me months to find all the lights, but the process is the same-you like something, you save it, you check it against your diimensions and everything..you sadly say goodbye to 95% because it's too expensive..

I'll go through them later though..maybe I'll see something that would vaguely fit the bill

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

..mmkay..I really tried at least..lol

dimensions were easier as I knew what to look for..the prices were a serious, serious problem though, so I'll put some vintage finds in it too..good reviews..look into these shops, they customize and all..and also one pendant (reminding one of your options..but it has glass)-I think the light itself won't be enough..but the shop and service is amazing..the fixture I ordered needed no tweaking at all..just follow them, if nothing else

and don't hesitate to tell me if you dislike something, then when I see something else I won't go after something that doesn't speak to you

I won't post pics sorry, or it'll take me another hour..just links. links also give you opportunity to dig further..customization if possible, dimensions, etc.

obviously some go against my own advice..they'll give out shadows etc. still, check them out

https://www.aplusrstore.com/product/790/coral-pendant-light

(very well known pendant. minuses-cost, shadowing, will there be enough light?)

https://www.lightexture.com/product-page/chandelier-lighting-double-cut-boomerang

(great shop. started small..now they collaborate with big merchants and whatnot. I picked by dimesions plus cheapest..))

https://www.etsy.com/listing/630647972/crystal-glass-lantern-brass-ceiling-lamp?ref=shop_home_active_19

(my favorite shop I told you about. Answer all the questions, even stupid ones I asked, very precisely and politely..packing, shipping is a dream..got it in 3 days-and I'm on West Coast...postal miracle lol. in any case..follow these guys.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/609118040/midcentury-pendant-lamp-teak-and-white?ref=sold_out-9

(not cascading but a group..should fit..never dealt with this shop before)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/477404203/vintage-mid-century-modern-atlas

(like it because of the colored shades, and shape is this soft modern..works almost anywhere)

I can see you liking this one a bit more? ..I like it for a) milky glass b) customization. height, etc-they'll work on it if needed. but seem to fit as per my rough calculations) c) free shipping. made in US too, so new. even though small shop. maybe you like new better

https://www.etsy.com/listing/611935851/stockholm-chandelier-black-brass-mid?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=&ref=sc_gallery-1-2&plkey=4877e3e73046c0ded1277bc03a7b5ee2d317717c:611935851

a tad bigger than what you have now, a tad smaller tan what you'd want. I love the shape and the hint on it being a plant..one either loves this type or doesn't. I'd ask more questions-what's the biggest bulb each globe takes, etc. if 40 might be too small. 60-you're fine

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215353216/mid-century-tulip-walnut-wood-chandelier

several like this for example. dealt with the shop..beautiful work. albeit takes some time (they're popular..lots of work) they'll customize if needed. check them out

https://www.etsy.com/listing/76096376/porcelain-mushroom-ball

now, check out these guys..beautiful cloud lights, different sizes, they can add gold or silver to it..great reviews. downside-price..still, check them out, see what they've got

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheLightFactory/items

okay..now I just wanted to share this shop with you. he has some seriously cool stuff, imo.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RetroRaum/items?ref=pagination&page=1&section_id=15731794&order=date_desc

okay..I need a drink:)

(I looked at Anthro btw..it's not that they have nothing good-they do, it just becomes expensive. The moment I like it.

Looked at Serena and Lily..nice Capiz globe I remembered, but won't be enough light I think..takes just one bulb..)

• Nikki
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

@aprilneverends, you're name is very fitting. Thank you so much for all of the links! Those shops are amazing. I really liked several of the ones you picked out. However, before I saw yours, I saw this one and really liked it. https://www.cb2.com/teardrops-capiz-chandelier/s113575

I wanted to share it to see what you thought. The diameter is 27'', is that way too big or could we still make it work?

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

Thank you:)

I'm afraid it might be too big

I still don't know the dimensions of your dining space(what are they?) , but I'll tell you what happenned with chandeliers' diameters in two different houses-the one that we lived before, and one where we live now

The dining space now is quite small, and almost identical to the previous one which was also small..maybe the previous one was wider, just a little

The table is the same-oval table, I think 50 inches width in its widest point? sorry, no measuring tape right now

There, we had these huge cathedral as they call them ceilings in the dining. The diameter of the chandelier was 26' and worked very well

Now, we have standard ceilings in the dining, 8 feet

I thought I should go 24-26' max

The fixture I finally chose is 22 inches. It looks just right in the space. I was afraid it might be small-but it seemed really big when it arrived. It's a drum shade. Also influences things a lot-smth visually "solid" vs something with branches, for example

So. The dimensions of both dinings are very similar. The table is the same.

The dramatic change in ceiling height makes overall proportions different.

Ceiling height can make 27,5 inches wide chandelier seem overwhelming in your space. It's clear material, it's not heavy looking, but you'll still perceive it as more visually solid. They write in their description: '"Grand in scale and statement.."

27,5 is pretty huge.

Look at illustrating pictures on their website-ceilings are minimum 10' if not more

Also everybody mentions one bulb. it's 100 W which is good, but I'd strive to have more light in a dining

But let me google later teardrop capiz for you, and see maybe I find something similar in idea, but smaller in size

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

..will be a long story. Plenty of similar products-either too smallish, or too expensive. I just started though

meanwhile, let me post this link, just for fun-maybe somebody with more disposable income will enjoy some of their lights

http://hammertonstudio.com/hand-blown-glass/

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

by the way, what is the shape of your table? round, oval, rectangle..?

I'm asking because with smth like oval or rectangle one can go for more long..but narrower chandelier..

• aprilneverends
    il y a 5 ans

desperately seeking Susan

okay. I briefly went through Wayfair, Allmodern, Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, ylighting, Shades of Lights, OneKingsLane..btw OneKingsLane left me most inspired overall, plus they have promotion(that doesn't always apply). check them out in any case..they carry both new and vintage..can be overpriced(as almost all the other stores lol) but can have good deals too. Huge interesting site, service is generally good.

I didn't look at West Elm or cb2 because you know them already

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».