Houzz Logo Print
webuser_584599430

Ugly wire trunking EVERYWHERE

Looking to move home and the prospective house has ALL electrics on the wall covered in trunking (every socket, switch etc) and this can't be changed. They are already covered in trunking which is the same colour as the wall but just wondered if anyone has creative ideas on how to conceal/make a feature out of these?

Obviously as there are several in each room, I don't think painting a design would work as it'd be everywhere. I had thought about wire lights to distract but that is a bit useless in the daytime. Don't want anything tacky, so guessing we might need to leave them as they are?

Commentaires (7)

• Jonathan
    il y a 5 ans
    You could swap the trunking for something more desirable. Likely your current trunking is plastic and you could upgrade to something more industrial looking so it looks like a design choice rather than a cost cutting measure.

You should however cost up this option as I imagine channelling out the walls, hiding the wiring and replastering may well be similar money.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    il y a 5 ans
    I was going to as why you are going to move after all the work you have done to your house when I saw your user name, then I realised that it’s very similar to another member on here! Never ever thought I’d see to similar! As far as the trucking does, are you saying that it’s the industrial style that is surface mount? (Just to clarify)
  • AMB
    il y a 5 ans
    Why do you think the trunking can't be changed? If it was me I would budget for all the wiring to be chased into the wall, or I wouldn't buy the house. I think even if you did spend money trying to 'prettify' it, it would still annoy you in the end.
  • Sonia
    il y a 5 ans
    I can’t really see how you are going to prettify plastic trunking. I do like Jonathan’s idea, but I would personally get an electrician to quote to channel the walls and position the cabling and then plaster over (although not all electricians do that final skim). I would just do the more obvious bits until funds allow you to do the rest.
  • PRO
    Verity & Beverley Ltd
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Hi Beano, I think all of the HU accounts are just unnamed Houzz User accounts so there are quite a lot of them all with random numbering.

As for surface mounted trunking there really isn't a lot you can do other than replace the trunking with something nicer looking or chase it in. You can get better looking trunking in a D shaped profile, it doesn't have to be the standard square stuff. The problem with changing to a conduit instead of trunking is you would have to re-wire every socket and switch to be able to thread the cables through the conduit. Maybe if the costs of chasing are putting you off you could do a room or a floor at a time, starting with the rooms you spend the most time in.

• PRO
    Active Builders London ltd
    il y a 5 ans

I could only recommend chasing into the walls

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».