Houzz Logo Print
greg_grigutis

Advice for design, colors, etc, for sunken/vaulted living room 1976

Greg G
il y a 5 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 5 ans

Anyone have design advice for this new to me living room? Home built in 76. It’s a vaulted ceiling with sunken floor. I have tile I’ll be installing on main floor level throughout, no tile for sunken area. i w

ould like to retain the chevron wood paneling in wall, might be original, just not sure on colors/stains? What would you do with the space? As for my “style” I lean towards the mid century modern look. Would like a ceiling fan & some sort of lighting, have heard combo of fan & recessed lighting not always ideal?

thanks!

Commentaires (10)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    il y a 5 ans

Embrace it! Leave the herringbone paneling as is, but paint out the ceiling beam to the same white as the ceiling. Replace the big black track lights with smaller ones that are just as bright but less in-your-face. (Tech lighting makes great options.)

I like the hardwood you've selected for the space; get a lovely, shaggy Moroccan-style area rug to round it out.

Some inspiration:

West Village apartment · Plus d'infos

Mid Century Modern Living Room - Small Bungalow · Plus d'infos

Eclectic Living Room · Plus d'infos

• tartanmeup
    il y a 5 ans

I like the colour of your chevron wall. It's warm, cozy and makes a standout feature wall. I'd take my flooring cues from it. Greys can go with warm coloured woods but I think you need a deft hand. Have you been Googling midcentury living rooms for decor inspiration? Can you share more pictures of the whole room? It'll help people give you design direction. For example, perhaps the ceiling beam and wall should be the same colour.

• tartanmeup
    il y a 5 ans

Sabrina, you wouldn't have gone for a warmer-toned floor with that wall?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

@tartanmeup, not necessarily. I kind of like the mix of honey and gray; in fact I did just that for a recent bathroom I remodeled with honey vanity and gray floor tile. I'm not a fan of endless same-tone wood, even though it's very much of the mid-century modern period. Too much of a good thing. ;-)

But to your point, we haven't seen the OP's floor tile that he's installing throughout the rest of the house, so that could change my opinion.

@Greg G, can you share with us the tile you've chosen?

• Greg G
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thanks all for the advice. The tile I have for the other main level of house is the one plank standing up next to wall. I haven’t purchased anything for the sunken area yet. I’ll round up a few more pics to give general feel of room/area in a bit.

• Greg G
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Here are a few more pics of room:

This is view when you open front door and are walking down hallway.

So you guys would keep track lighting but something more modern/smaller?

View to south, guess that’s why they had these big windows put in

• calidesign
    il y a 5 ans

Put the wood look tile in the sunken area also so the rooms flow better. But then I would paint the wood on the wall white. You will keep the texture but it will brighten the space and put the emphasis on the great view. The wall wood fights with the flooring wood you've chosen. Remove the track lighting and used recessed lights instead, combined with other ambient light from lamps.

• User
    il y a 5 ans

Oh I LOVE the herringbone! Ah! So cool. The wood tile looks like the weathered barn wood-look, to me, which doesn't really scream mid century or 70s. I'd vote for something else but hey, it's not my house :) I think for a fan, going with something really sleek and minimalist or something funky that stands out. Kind of depending on what the rest of the room is looking like.

• Greg G
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Below are a few pics of the room from the listing, show the room better than I could.

Sounds like:

1. Leave wood paneling intact and "as is"

2. Continue flooring down into sunken area

3. Replace track lighting w/ modern design but retain existing location

4. Paint wood ceiling beam to match ceiling color Would staining beam to match the wall be too much of one thing?

I was originally thinking of making the flooring in the sunken area different, like a lighter white as a contrast to everything else? Pic below is sort of what I was thinking of, it's sort of an off-white, can't tell definitively but the main level flooring kind of sort of like what I have now.

What sort of ceiling fan would work? I don't think it will need a light, not sure on the blade size though, don't want to overwhelm the room with fan but conversely don't want to put something in just for the sake of putting something in.

As for the style I like, I'm not trying to necessarily "re-create" a particular genre but like aspects of several styles.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».