Houzz Logo Print
clovan

Does anyone really like plain old yucca?

clovan
il y a 4 ans

My Pittsburgh PA client has some yucca plants and we are doing a complete yard makeover. We can keep them and use them, or give them away.

Anybody like these things? she wants a fuss free yard and they are tough as nails. And a tough slope that could use them.

Personally I prefer the variegated ones. But these are here and I could come up with a plan. She is on a limited budget.

yes, they are cool
no, they are dull

Commentaires (8)

• nickel_kg
    il y a 4 ans

Wish I lived closer to Pittsburgh!; I love plain green yuccas. We bought this one at a local plant sale three seasons ago. It finally flowered late this summer. I love how "square" it is -- it's not entirely apparent in this picture but all those points line up in a cube shape.

Christopher I'll have to remember that about the dead foliage, it'll probably accumulate someday.

• clovan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

yes they have great structure. How fast do they spread? I had one for a couple of years 30 years ago. It wasn’t aggressive.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    il y a 4 ans

One of the lowest maintenance plants you can include in a landscape....pretty much plant and forget (a little grooming now and again helps). They need to develop a certain maturity before they flower and then the rosette that produced the flowers will die off but has been replaced by pups or offsets that will offer subsequent blooms. That is what creates the spread so not a rapid nor aggressive process.

They are difficult to transplant so think ahead before you plant and pick the right site. Will grow in pretty much any soil that offers reasonable drainage but will flower best in full sun. Attractive to both bees and hummingbirds when in bloom and the deer won't touch it!!

• Belahn
    il y a 4 ans

Love the yucca!

• st5330
    il y a 4 ans

i think you should work with it especially if low maintenance and budget are of top concerns

• redoredone
    il y a 4 ans

We had a backhoe try to get rid of two in our yard and we still have sprouting. In your case, with your client wanting a fuss free yard, a slope needing the plants and having a limited budget, it sounds like your best option is to use them.

• PRO
    simonson landscape
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

BIG FAN OF YUCCA!

They have a very graphical silhouette and make a wonderful accent in the garden. There are so many varieties plus they are low maintenance and very hardy plants. This is Yucca rostrata that I planted for a drought-tolerant garden in France. The rostrata is a species that comes from Mexico and adds a nice exotic touch to the planting pallet. Rustic to 0° F or -18°

SIMONSON LANDSCAPE

Jardin des émergence · Plus d'infos

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».