Houzz Logo Print
homebydesignltd

Why the 'sheds' over local independents?

Home By Design Ltd
il y a 7 ans
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a bit of market research. We are a local independent showroom. We offer a bespoke made to measure service that normally comes up thousands cheaper than the sheds. However, we are in the middle of launching a new market and we feel that people are just very wary of local showrooms.

As a customer, what would you look for in a showroom that you gain from the big names? Is there anything you think we could do to make ourselves more of a competitor?

Thanks in advance for any comments :)

Commentaires (8)

• Ocean Clarke
    il y a 7 ans

I always shop visually - so lots of photos along with examples of sample materials ect. Moodboards always work well too. I guess everybody shops differently but for me, I would like to really get a feeling about how my future shed would work in my garden :)

• Midcenturylass
    il y a 7 ans

I tend to go to the independents as they're usually less daunting. But good customer service goes a long way - being friendly, helpful, reassuring, following up on promises.

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks for the input :) we are a bespoke made to measure kitchen studio but we are normally almost half the price of the 'sheds'. Our product is far superior as we have spent time developing our range. Also the director has over 30+ in the industry. Our conversion rate is almost perfect so when people come in we know they will be happy it's just getting them there in the first place! :) X
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Hello Home by Design,

Beautiful craftsmanship and versatility are what's going to set you apart. Years in the business mean less personally. I never look for this- I look for ability, creativity, someone who bristles with enthusiasm - I have found many who talk of their years in the business and then you find they have no imagination, no skills and you have to coach them to get the job done to a brilliant standard!

That aside. For me brilliance (I use this word a lot as I'm not interested in anything else) is what's important and adaptability to create beautiful interesting, extraordinary kitchens or anything for that matter, that are a cut above the rest. Something which is more than just standard, for whatever budget happens to be available..

Like Ocean said, a showroom is a visual place... if you don't get this right, you miss the opportunity. Speaking comes later, once someone has walked through the door.. So marketing and clever advertising is key! For the phone/email, you need brilliant communicators. It's not about racking up followers, customers, it's about inspiration! Inspire your clients! : ))

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Hey Aj

I'm the inspiration haha. I'm the newbie to the industry but I'm interior design trained and I live and breath ideas and inspiration. The director tells me how to do it I tell him what I want to do. It works as a team :)

Our showroom is my current project and I'm trying to get it on point. I don't want a shed looking studio so I'm being creative with what I'm doing.

Thanks for all your input :)
    Jade
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Hey Jade,

Well I am sure you'll excel! I believe in inspiring people whatever their status because everyone starts somewhere and the key to an experienced and intelligent individual in a particular position in a role, is how they treat and inspire others who are newer perhaps! So it sounds like you have the right environment, as your director listens to your input and most probably will adapt and continue to develop as a result, as will you! It reminds me of a story where at the very start of my Interiors business, I worked with a developer who's man told me "You cannot outshine your employer!"

You need to work for someone who wants you to excel not hold you back! This is what makes people develop more than any other skillset.. It's having people behind you that help you to become the very best you can!

Most welcome and enjoy it! : ))

Amber

• PRO
    J&S Kitchens Southport
    il y a 7 ans

you've got to inject your personality into your showroom - the sheds can never do that. your customers are buying into, and from YOU. so prop it with things that you love and really create room sets that people could walk right into and say 'I want that'. the sheds just don't do that well. you may also be surprised that you can offer better value than the sheds, say on installation - this is where they fall short. they sell cheap kitchens, but mark up their fitting. which is the opposite to our philosophy. and you cannot price after sales and follow up. If people buy from us they know their kitchen will be finished, and finished properly - whereas we've heard many a sob story from the sheds. if your showroom reflects you and is finished to the tee, then your customers will see that.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».