Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Describe contemporary style in one (or two!) words

Emmeline Westin
il y a 9 ans
It's difficult pinpointing the era you live in. What materials, colours, items define 'now'?

In one word (or two), how would you define contemporary style? If you find it easier, post a photo of what you think is a contemporary interior!

Roundhouse white kitchens · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (53)

• Debbie Penn
    il y a 9 ans
    I thought "contemporary" was a 'fresh' look using up-to-date materials and fabrics. I thought "modern" was the cold and sterile look.
  • Maureen
    il y a 9 ans
    No-Fuss and sophisticated…… Like how i made 2 words one? ;-)
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    il y a 9 ans
    Cutting edge!
  • PRO
    Sophie Nguyen Architects
    il y a 9 ans
    Fluidity and open spaces where the frontiers between the functions are blurred, reflecting the democratic process of our society.
  • midmodfan
    il y a 9 ans
    I wouldn't call contemporary 'a style' at all, because contemporary changes over time.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    trendy
  • PRO
    NJK Interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    Clean, smooth and flowing lines
  • pavinia
    il y a 9 ans
    Minimalist
    Private House, Cotswolds · Plus d'infos
  • Lily Choi
    il y a 9 ans
    modern and upbeat
  • Pedro Maia
    il y a 9 ans
    simple and white
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    il y a 9 ans
    Sleek and clean.
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Contemporary "contemporary" doesn't have to be all white, or white at all. Colors, including (perhaps especially) softer neutral ones, give it the warmth that people often find lacking. I'm all for texture, too.
  • Melinda Brasher
    il y a 9 ans
    clean, functional
  • PRO
    Mina Herrera Design LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Sleek, elegant.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    il y a 9 ans
    Good contemporary design has a strong visual impact with the least amount of items needed to achieve the look. Less is more!
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Sterile and uninviting. I do like the table, and think the kitchen would have warmth if the chairs complimented the table. The chairs shown remind me of something you have to sit in to wait for your car, or at the DMV.
  • bungalowmo
    il y a 9 ans
    Not Me
  • Trice
    il y a 9 ans
    Clean, sleek.
  • Cyndy
    il y a 9 ans
    Stylish
  • Donna Lyman Semar
    il y a 9 ans
    Stark. Cold.
  • PRO
    Kevin Moore Architect
    il y a 9 ans
    Calming
  • Muriel Geny-Triffaut
    il y a 9 ans
    Restful and Serene. Unlike the atrocities seen mostly in America with dark walls and horrific giant furniture.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    Just love America bashing, so freaking unnecessary.....give it a rest.
  • redpoint
    il y a 9 ans
    Contemporary is not modern: It doesn't mean minimal, or sleek or stark, or any of those things. It's not even postmodern, though it can be. Contemporary can be eclectic, using choice elements of whatever the person wants, to create a unified whole. ie. modern farmhouse. Contemporary isn't fully determined, but it seems a contemporary home will have some defined elements, such as a more open floorplan. A contemporary home more often than not will not have wainscoting, mouldings, but it will have exposed beams on its high ceilings.
  • Rita Cohill
    il y a 9 ans
    Contemporary to me is cold and uninviting.
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Debbi, you nailed it! Your photos are beautiful, and the room is modern, and gives the feeling of a warm hug.
  • Maida Stanic
    il y a 9 ans
    The term contemporary design is actually quite subjective. Depending on the topic at hand, the word contemporary can mean different things to different people. Often confused with modern style, when thinking of contemporary in relation to decor, some see it as harsh and cold, whereas others are excited by the energy that the clean lines create. As with all decor styling, whether it is your home, your place of work, an office or a shop, being represented by a contemporary decor can speak volumes and set peoples expectations...
    The actual definition of contemporary is
    existing, occurring, or living at the same time; belonging to the same time
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Emmeline asked us "What materials, colours, items define 'now'?" So I guess, Maida, she was asking along the lines of the actual definition you listed. That is such a HUGE question, thought that way. Potentially more interesting though.
  • Maida Stanic
    il y a 9 ans
    Jean! I was making reference to some of the other peoples comments not Emmeline's.
  • Chewie Macgruber
    il y a 9 ans
    Sexy, but livable
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Maida, I wasn't being critical of you; I understood what you said and I agree with you. I used your definition of "contemporary" to point out what Emmeline's original question was. We would get very different (and interesting) comments in this thread if everyone was defining "now" instead of "contemporary." I'm sorry what I said came out the wrong way.
  • Maida Stanic
    il y a 9 ans
    Lol! Jean I wasn't being critical of you either. I thought you misunderstood my comments. The world of text communication can be misunderstood. Apologies to you :) have a lovely day.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you Susan - I take credit for the kitchen, the construction of removing walls and the floor and wall colors.... the furnishings were my clients.... she has wonderful taste and is not afraid to take a chance.....The colors we choose were what was being seen in places like Target, Home Goods, Pottery Barn and shops like those in our area - greys, beiges with pops of turquoise as an accent colors ( or yellow or orange ).... I think it still is current this year as well.....
  • Lou Mele
    il y a 9 ans
    Pure
  • pavinia
    il y a 9 ans
    indefinable
  • PRO
    VERVE
    il y a 9 ans
    Eclectic
  • makaloco
    il y a 9 ans
    Uncomfortable. Maybe it's an overgeneralization, but for me it conjures up hard plastic chairs, backless stools, and sofas that are uninviting for naps. Also lots of chrome and stainless and glass, nearly all of which I dislike.
  • Depo
    il y a 9 ans
    I think too many posters are confusing modern with contemporary. Contemporary simply means up to date or "of the day".
  • hazeldazel
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you, Depo SD! Ugh, this makes it so hard when searching for things, I love modern but hate contemporary.
  • karen3000
    il y a 9 ans
    Modern-ish. Not quite as modern as "modern."
  • PRO
    Eat Live Sleep
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree with Midmodfan. Contemporary just means 'of the moment', it's not really a style, its just current
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Describe current decor in two words.
  • Lynn Oxenford
    il y a 9 ans
    Clean lines .
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    trending ;)
  • printesa
    il y a 9 ans
    Trying to think what's trending these days..the color gray, tile that looks like wood floor and those Ikat/Chevron rugs. So, if we see in 20 years a house that is painted all in gray with wood looking tiles and ikat/chevron rugs and probably drapes, we know when the house was designed:) I like gray, btw, and it wasn't done because of the trend,,7 years ago not sure it was trendy:)
  • hayleydaniels
    il y a 9 ans
    Based on the picture by the OP, contemporary is cold, sterile, lifeless and uncomfortable. I would much rather live in a jungle with an array of colors and textures than in Siberia where there was one green leaf still clinging to a branch that serves as a 'pop' of color.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm with Margo; trendy.
  • shars55
    il y a 9 ans
    Yes.....trendy.
  • Etta McFadden
    il y a 7 ans

Innovative, inconsistent.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».