Houzz Logo Print
thertastorecom

Which do you prefer gas or electric stoves?

The RTA Store
il y a 9 ans
We were just having a discussion the other day with someone about stove preferences. We'd like to know...which do you prefer a gas stove or an electric stove? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Commentaires (83)

• monkeyb420
    il y a 9 ans
    Have induction now. First choice is still gas, second induction, way distant third is electric.
  • seaport13
    il y a 9 ans
    Definitely gas stove. Electric makes the certain food stick in the pan. Elec also doesn't cool off fast. Don't like induction either.
    The RTA Store a remercié seaport13
  • PRO
    Architecture=BD+C
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I like Natural Gas the best for cooking. Ideal arrangement: Quality Gas Range / Oven against the wall with wall mounted pot filling faucet and Hood for most of the cooking. And, an electric range on the adjacent island to keep things warm and ready.
    The RTA Store a remercié Architecture=BD+C
  • linamour
    il y a 9 ans
    induction
    The RTA Store a remercié linamour
  • Jen
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas!
    The RTA Store a remercié Jen
  • J K
    il y a 9 ans
    I grew up with electric--more popular in FL since gas isn't used as much. Ive lived up north for many years now and prefer gas to electric-the heat can be instantly turned off. We are renovating a newly purchased home and I like the idea of induction....seems more instantaneous to heat and perhaps more controllable than gas, even though I'll need to purchase new stainless cookware. And safer for my children who are just starting to cook more and my hubby who has already caught several of my potholders on fire! But I was really looking forward to an indoor grill and griddle. Do those come in induction too?
    The RTA Store a remercié J K
  • normpo
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas! I've had both and everything I baked in an electric oven didn't come out as good. It's not the same as gas.
    The RTA Store a remercié normpo
  • PRO
    LineBox Studio
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas all the way
    The RTA Store a remercié LineBox Studio
  • wblocker
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas!
    The RTA Store a remercié wblocker
  • Snaggy
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas
    The RTA Store a remercié Snaggy
  • Tiffany D
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas, only and always.
    The RTA Store a remercié Tiffany D
  • asquithoatley
    il y a 9 ans
    Its a gas gas gas!
    The RTA Store a remercié asquithoatley
  • K K
    il y a 9 ans
    It depends on what type of cook you are. I have had both gas and electric, but I prefer gas. If you often need to use all the burners and want to be able to turn heat off immediately, gas is the way to go. If you tend to simmer things more, electric might work fine.
  • PRO
    The Morson Collection
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas, it allows for immediate temperature control / change. All restaurants and professional chef kitchens use gas for that very reason.
    The RTA Store a remercié The Morson Collection
  • PRO
    none
    il y a 9 ans
    gas stoves
    The RTA Store a remercié none
  • tiamay
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas!
    The RTA Store a remercié tiamay
  • helixg1
    il y a 9 ans
    Induction
    The RTA Store a remercié helixg1
  • Ciocco
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas
    The RTA Store a remercié Ciocco
  • Karen Riscinto
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas all the way
    The RTA Store a remercié Karen Riscinto
  • heathy
    il y a 9 ans
    Induction. Safe, efficient and clean.
    The RTA Store a remercié heathy
  • bungalowmo
    il y a 9 ans
    I want a gas stove so bad!!! We don't have natural gas in town. I know I could have used propane, but .... I wanted an antique stove & not all are alike. You need a certain adapter kit to go from gas to propane. It was so frustrating because I couldn't be sure it would work, unless I bought the stove & did the swap, but then if it did NOT work, then I'd be stuck with a gas stove in a town where I couldn't sell it.

(insert my sad face here!)

Here's what I wanted real bad!
    The RTA Store a remercié bungalowmo
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    For those of you that have induction, what are the pros and cons?
  • bungalowmo
    il y a 9 ans
    I had induction. My idea of an even cooking temp isn't onoffonoffonoffonoff.

Drove me crazy. I will admit...I miss the self cleaning oven, but even that wasn't enough to make me keep it. Bought a 1947 beast!
  • PRO
    Kitchen Distributors
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas or induction. For cooking control and power, gas and induction are the best you can get.
    The RTA Store a remercié Kitchen Distributors
  • makaloco
    il y a 9 ans
    Chookchook … couldn't you buy a natural-gas-to-propane adaptor or two and carry them around while antique-stove-shopping? Don't know how much they cost, but surely less than buying a stove.
    The RTA Store a remercié makaloco
  • helixg1
    il y a 9 ans
    For Susan,for me there are no cons with induction cooktop. You may need to buy new cookware ,as it works magnetically. It heats very quickly and evenly. It is easy to keep clean as any spilled food doesn't burn since the cooktop doesn't heat up. I love mine.
  • n247080
    il y a 9 ans
    I have both. Gas for the stove top and electric convection oven for the oven. It's the best of both worlds, in my opinion
    The RTA Store a remercié n247080
  • Marlo
    il y a 9 ans
    No question...GAS.
    The RTA Store a remercié Marlo
  • Susan
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you, helixg1. I am familiar with the way it works, as far as needing special cookware. The feature of induction that I find fascinating, is that you can have water boiling in 90 seconds. Does it cook just as good as gas? My gas oven has sealed burners, so the clean up isn't that big of a deal. Can the cooktop be easily scratched? I do like the way it looks.
  • Jolene
    il y a 9 ans
    Has
    The RTA Store a remercié Jolene
  • Jolene
    il y a 9 ans
    Gas
    The RTA Store a remercié Jolene
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    I like electric for safety with kids, but not the bills. Hubby likes gas as he's a trained cook. He likes the instant changes he can make with temperature. To cool something, I just move it off that burner, Lol.
    The RTA Store a remercié User
  • daveriella11062907
    il y a 9 ans
    gas
    The RTA Store a remercié daveriella11062907
  • helixg1
    il y a 9 ans
    Susan,sorry but I can't compare induction to gas as I have not used it. I have read comments from people who have used both saying they prefer induction. I haven't had any problem with scratches. The heat is very well controlled.you could alway get a portable induction burner to try it out.
    The RTA Store a remercié helixg1
  • monika2024
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    gas for sure.. ANDDDDDD when the power goes out you can still cook by lighting the flame with a lighter... can't do that with electric. : D
    The RTA Store a remercié monika2024
  • chezvegans
    il y a 8 ans

Electric. I'm in my 40's, cooked all my life on both, and this is why I like electric. You can bring your food to a boil, let's say rice, en turn the buner off completely because the residual Heat from the electric flat top (or coils) continues to cook the food to perfection. A good chef can cook on anything. Gas to me seems weak. If there were a fan aimed on u while cooking, the gas flames get blown away from the cookware, so the heat is dissipated. And it gets too hot in the kitchen. Also, if your fortunate enough to live off the grid, and have solar power, u are cooking for free!

The RTA Store a remercié chezvegans
  • PRO
    Dan Kitchens Australia
    il y a 8 ans

People's views seem very polarised on this question. We're enjoying hearing everyone's thoughts and cooking methods. @TheRTAStore should have run a poll!

Within our business, anecdotally it's split 50/50 between gas and induction/electric.

The RTA Store a remercié Dan Kitchens Australia
  • normpo
    il y a 8 ans

Gas, it cooks better.

The RTA Store a remercié normpo
  • chloebud
    il y a 8 ans

Gas stove...electric oven.

The RTA Store a remercié chloebud
  • PRO
    Kitchen Distributors
    il y a 8 ans

Gas > Induction > Electric

The RTA Store a remercié Kitchen Distributors
  • Joanne Ford
    il y a 8 ans
    I have always loved gas stoves, however, we moved recently to an area where natural gas was not available. We bought our first induction stove and I am loving it!!!
    The RTA Store a remercié Joanne Ford
  • kaywestmaas
    il y a 8 ans

POSTED JULY 2014

• User
    il y a 8 ans

Did it arrive yet?

• desiree4gw
    il y a 5 ans

Gas, hands down. That's what restaurants use the most. There's a reason for that.

• yoboseiyo
    il y a 5 ans

oh god, gas all the way, please. i have a hard time telling how hot the burner is on electric stoves, especially the glass top ones. the color of the burner doesn't help me.

• Oliviag
    il y a 5 ans
    induction. as adjustable as gas, far easier to clean. and, very energy efficient.
    yes, i sacrificed my 25 year old cookware, but i will never go back... to gas. or standard electric.
    and, i used to own a restaurant.... the heat from a restaurant gas range is awful. induction heats the pan or pot... not the whole kitchen.
  • davidhunternyc
    il y a 5 ans

This needs to be updated to a poll. For Oliviag, I can see why induction would be so appealing. Working in a restaurant with gas flames can take its toll but for the rest us home cooks, nothing is more appealing than gas.

• RYMEETranslations Qiu
    il y a 3 ans

It really is all preference. The best option is what the person enjoys. Radiant electric stove tops will probably eventually stop selling when all cook ware is made induction. But for now there are three main options and each option is for different people. Induction seems to be most popular. But I'm not going with it because not all cookware sold works with it. Using a magnet disgusts me. I am a minimalist. I prefer things simple. And the fire on the gas stove terrifies me. So radiant electric is the option for me. If you use standard american cookware, then the induction works. I need to use unique cookware, and I'd rather not be controlled on what I can cook with. And again using a magnet irritates me.

• RedRyder
    il y a 3 ans

Gas. I had electric in one house and it was awful (even though the stove was new). My sister had induction and swears by it. Changed all her cookware and never looked back. This is worthy of a poll but probably will be

• RedRyder
    il y a 3 ans

Split between gas and induction.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».