Mine... Dead Poet's Society

Commentaires (99)

• Embedsol Techie
    il y a 9 ans
    Hello Shakeela, how are you ?
  • PRO
    Buchanan Construction
    il y a 9 ans
    Robin Williams was one of my favorite actors of all time. RV and Ms. Doubtfire were my favorites. Very sad that he took his life. He will never know how many people truly admired and loved him. May God bless his family.
    bungalowmo a remercié Buchanan Construction
  • Shakeela
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm fine, Embedsol. And you?
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Loved him! Never so funny as the Genie in Aladdin.
    bungalowmo a remercié Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • bungalowmo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Well now...I'm glad that Embedsol & shakeela are reacquainted.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    il y a 9 ans
    Can't forget "Birdcage" either. Perfection to a T.
    bungalowmo a remercié auntiebuzzybee
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 9 ans
    For some reason One Hour Photo jumps out at me. Pretty scary plot.
    bungalowmo a remercié User
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Good Will Hunting. Fantastic movie, and he was fantastic in it. He won an oscar for that role.
  • diyher
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Almost feel like we have grown up with him having seen him on TV, stand up and movies throughout our lives. He will be missed by the world. Thanks for posting the Todd Rundgren song bungalowmo. Todd went to my highschool 2 years previous, same as Tina Fay and Jim Croce. Here is a video of Robin and Koko the gorilla.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    il y a 9 ans
    Thinking how he searched throughout his life for an answer, some help to ease the pain . If people say they don't understand how he could feel this way...I'm sure he was tortured by that same question. UNDERSTAND, THERE IS NO LOGIC IN EMOTION.

Oh how this might not have happened if only he had gotten drunk that morning instead. Not the best thing but maybe he'd have slept it off.

I am still so, so sad that something else didn't happened to distract him at that time, just a turn of events, just long enough to stay with us

• pickyvicky
    il y a 9 ans
    @ Darzy -- I saw that movie and bought it on DVD. I think you are correct as to why they didn't mention it.

My two favorites are Good Will Hunting and Awakenings.
    bungalowmo a remercié pickyvicky
  • Embedsol Techie
    il y a 9 ans
    Shakeela, can you provide your email or skype id ?
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Loved his quirky humor on Mork and Mindy. I was so glad to see him back on tv last year with Crazy Ones. TV show bookends on a decades long movie career. Fisher King and What Dreams May Come were my favorites. It is so sad that he was driven to this. I will miss him deeply and always...
    bungalowmo a remercié Janet H. Designs
  • rbcola
    il y a 9 ans
    I too will celebrate his impact on our lives. He was so funny, so intelligent, soooooooo kind/generous....so giving. I have rented all the movies I never saw and will enjoy him again. I pray for him and his family. I will ....we will greatly miss him. Let it be a lesson to all of us to take very good care of those we love - to let them know how much they mean to us - how important they are and what it means to have them in our lives. To those who are chased by this/these demons (depression) - please, please, please NEVER give in, reach out, make the call - get help. EVIL wins when you give up. God be with you Robin Williams, know that you made all of us smile, laugh out loud, fold over laughing.....Lord God you were a gift from God.
    bungalowmo a remercié rbcola
  • soto01
    il y a 9 ans
    Robin: You made us laugh with your genius sense of humor......you made us cry with the very poignant moments in many of your movies.....But most of all -- you touched all of our lives with your presence on this earth and we will miss you deeply....and forever. In your own words, "May the angels sing you into your heavenly rest, my friend"......
    bungalowmo a remercié soto01
  • Shakeela
    il y a 9 ans
    @Embedsol Techie - my email is provided in my profile.
  • HGMC Sykoudis
    il y a 9 ans
    Sometimes people never get comfortable in this life, they turn to the wrong things, things they think help but only dig them in deeper....the devil has a way of making things look & seem cool..... had he known God, that's all he would have needed to save his life & live a good life with his family. When you hand all of your problems over to God, he has the power to start working in your life & making miracles happen.
    bungalowmo a remercié HGMC Sykoudis
  • diyher
    il y a 9 ans
    looks like his wife just revealed he had parkinsons disease and he was not ready to go public with it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/robin-williams-parkinsons_n_5679283.html
    bungalowmo a remercié diyher
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    That might have been the straw that broke him.
    bungalowmo a remercié stryker
  • diyher
    il y a 9 ans
    they say that those that have parkinsons tend to have depression on some level, so I think you may be right Jean
    bungalowmo a remercié diyher
  • mcranec
    il y a 9 ans
    What Dreams May Come
    bungalowmo a remercié mcranec
  • Geneviève
    il y a 9 ans
    bungalowmo a remercié Geneviève
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Any condition that affects interaction with the world by changing (compelling!--not your choice!) your body's movements has got to add an extra level of challenge to someone who's already inclined to be depressed.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    il y a 9 ans
    I had the cathartic exercise of writing at great length and with passion about just a few of the aspects of living with a movement disorder. Then I deleted it line by line. As with most things, "people don't want to hear all that".

It seems as though Robin Williams was served a double dip of hell in his life when he got the news he was being handed a new uncontrollable role in his life to add to the chronic depression, heart disease and substance abuse. He was handed the diagnosis of a progressive, degenerative movement disorder. Movement disorders affect every single aspect of one's life that I can sit here and think through. There are ways to help with the challenges. I wish he had reached out to someone like Michael J.Fox. Though it would be once again, giving more of himself, he could have helped someone else. First though, FIRST, he needed help.

And sometimes 'there's just not enough love in the world" to save someone.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    il y a 9 ans
    It would stand to reason that if one didn't have depression beforehand, having Parkinson's or other movement disorders such as dystonia would be reason enough to develop it. I would wonder about someone that did not.

For further information you may find the website WeMove.org helpful and informative.
  • rbcola
    il y a 9 ans
    All being said.....we are all grieving heavily at the loss. We want solutions and we should always work toward that goal....always. But, sometimes life here on Earth can and will never be what God, Jesus and Heaven offer offer in the hereafter. Those of us that believe in the hereafter know that only God knows what is in our hearts, minds and spirits. I know as a Christian it is considered an unforgiveable sin to take yours/someone else's life. But, I look at Robin and see depression as a demon distorting and controlling him. My prayers and hopes are that God sees the goodness that was in this man and recognizes that what took him was a mental illness he could not escape from on his own. RIP Robin. I look forward to seeing you happy, smiling and doing all the good deeds you did here on Earth.......including making me LOL over and over again......in Heaven. .
  • Rina
    il y a 9 ans
    I don't believe there is any chance whatsoever that God could not see the goodness in the man and understand exactly the profound physical ailment (in the first place), and the emotional pain he suffered as a result. I think we should get one thing straight: depression is a physical condition to the same extent that a broken leg is. A part of the brain actually shrinks. Does it relate to what is happening to us? Frequently, yes. Just as a broken leg can result from a bad fall. But it has nothing to do with a lack of strength of character, or of faith, or of wisdom, or goodness. Nor should we blame anyone who was close to him for not doing enough to ease his pain. We do what we can, that's all. There is no blame, only sadness. For those who have never suffered depression, may it be always so. For those who do and have it under control, fantastic! For those who do not have it under control, keep working at it with the help of your doctors and advisers; it is a disease that can be controlled, and that is really a worthwhile goal. Good luck. May the day come soon when you wake up thinking "I can do this."
    bungalowmo a remercié Rina
  • bungalowmo a remercié Rina
  • diyher
    il y a 9 ans
    thanks Rina, I had seen that on local TV :(
  • bubbasgma
    il y a 9 ans
    John & Helen Sykoudis........."had he known God"?! Surely you're kidding????
    bungalowmo a remercié bubbasgma
  • shars55
    il y a 9 ans
    Bubbasgma....I agree with you! There are lots of people out there who don't understand mental health diseases. There are complex physiological factors involved, it's not a matter of believing in God or just sucking it up and being stronger. I don't, for one minute, believe that God would blame someone for being sick.
    bungalowmo a remercié shars55
  • stryker
    il y a 9 ans
    Judgment combined with a sales pitch is not the best tactic for inviting someone to church.
  • Rina
    il y a 9 ans
    From a poem by the great Gerard Manley Hopkins, a man who knew God if ever anyone did -- yet he knew what it was to find comfort only in thoughts of sleep or death.

O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
    Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
    May who ne'er hung there. Nor does long our small
    Durance deal with that steep or deep. Here! creep,
    Wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind: all
    Life death does end and each day dies with sleep.
    bungalowmo a remercié Rina
  • bigredkate
    il y a 9 ans
    Terribly sad. Rest in peace. You will always be remembered fondly.
    bungalowmo a remercié bigredkate
  • bungalowmo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    While this is not intended to become a religious rant, post or argument....

I am an extremely spiritual person. I know right from wrong...good from evil & all that was taught so many years ago in my Parochial school days. I have also allowed myself to grow, to become a free thinker. To allow myself different answers to those age old problems.

I do not believe that God sees suicide as a sin, or an act of the weak. I'm guessing many more of us than we know have sat in that dark, miserable space. I sat there myself in '99. Over a course of 2 months I went through everything I owned, threw things away I knew no one would want to deal with when I was gone. I actually had researched the how (pills) and how much (to effectively do the job). I did pray. I knew God. Not the God that was drilled into me by the Catholic Church (no offense intended) but the God I had come to know over my 41 years. Sitting alone, I begged aloud for help....I slept a lot. And after some time, I felt a shift.

Bottom line is, any one of us could be there one day. A small series of events can take us from pretty happy to the deepest darkest of places we never knew existed.

It's not that I was stronger than anyone else, I just got lucky. Period.
  • bungalowmo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    @auntiebuzzybee....thanks for that Tracy Chapman song. I love her voice....
  • bubbasgma
    il y a 9 ans
    It's truly the "ignorant, hating voices", like we've heard here, that allow the stigmas of (medical) conditions like Depression and Addiction to continue.

Keeping hurting souls in hiding.

And causing the needless suffering of many!

Thank you, bungalowmo, for adding your voice and your point of view. May it give someone reading it the courage to ask for help and hope that tomorrow can be a better day!
  • bungalowmo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks bubbasgma :0)

I just figured that, since we never really know *who* we're talking to on the other end of any forum, and this topic has garnered reactions from one end of the spectrum to the other, I'd just add some insight as to where I was coming from.

Anyone who's been there knows that Gods rules are NOT in black & white. Even if it appears so on the printed page.
  • bubbasgma
    il y a 9 ans
    With age and experience comes wisdom. Scientific research is my "black &white" now, bungalowmo.

Educating sufferers and bystanders, both.....that it isn't about being "weak" or "flawed" or "having demons" or "being a non-believer".

These are treatable MEDICAL conditions based in the brain. Treatment can be very challenging, yes!! Especially when compounded by life's losses and stressors, and other (in Mr. Williams' case, not 1 but 2, other very serious, debilitating) body based, medical conditions.

Effective treatment begins with "instilling hope" and a thorough assessment. If one treatment or one therapist doesn't work, we need to keep searching until all other avenues have been explored.
  • bubbasgma
    il y a 9 ans
    Research.....80% of comedians (and "class clowns"? and "life of the partys"?) report a history of (childhood?) trauma.

It takes a village. Reach out. Don't preach. Don't pontificate. Get to know them. Provide them safety. Offer a compassionate, listening heart. Protect. Don't shame.
  • bungalowmo
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Well said! Couldn't agree more.
  • Bisi Okusami
    il y a 9 ans
    The world lost a great unique talent. A man that can bring laughter to our face, a man that can change roles and be a family man and change role to being a sinister. Robin Williams, we can't forget you. While I first saw you in Mork and Mindy, my son first watched you on 'Mrs Doubtfire' and he watched it tirelessly until I hid it. Oh how we've lost a star. Rest in peace!
    bungalowmo a remercié Bisi Okusami
  • purplerain123
    il y a 9 ans
    Rip
  • Karen Ginas
    il y a 9 ans
    Will be missed. 3 rd star to the right. Onward to never land. Will miss you Peter Pan. You will forever be a little boy. Bang array!
  • rbcola
    il y a 9 ans
    I have been accessing/watching all the Robin Williams movies to honor and remember him. I had never heard of "August Rush" until I believe one of us in this discussion mentioned it.
    It hit many "notes" with me. Even in Robin's role which was not "the star" - Robin plays a "talented", "caring", "user"......who you might not always like.....yet still saw the good in him too. (I'm talking about the character he played which I think Robin was very good at pulling that role off.).
    What a beautiful story. I recommend it for many reasons. Thank you for mentioning it.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    il y a 9 ans
    I shall ever miss him (Robin Williams). Period!!!!!
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    il y a 9 ans
    A touching Robin William story he played a clown to terminating ill children...don't rememeber the film title...all i remember is the impact he did...and i know i can never create such an impact...
  • bubbasgma
    il y a 9 ans
    An excellent film called "Patch Adams", Curt.
  • rbcola
    il y a 9 ans
    @Curt D'Onofrio.....Something I learned watching Robin's movies. " Awakenings" w/Robert DeNiro and "Patch Adams" (both doctor roles for Robin dealing w/institutionalized (Awakenings) and hospitalized (Patch Adams) patients......are the stories of REAL doctors and their "missions". Patch Adams is really called "Patch" Adams, is a doctor who later started a hospital that still exists today I believe. The doctor portrayed in Awakenings is trying to help people w/debilatating (catatonic) mental issues a more "normal" life.......
    These were both very emotional films for me. Watching them after losing Robin - I feel like these roles were ways for Robin to share his own inner struggles and sensitivity in some way - I wish he was still with us - not as much for us as we will always have him, but for him. I miss him and wish he knew how much he gave all of us.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».