Houzz Logo Print
dcpuff

Best flooring for big dogs?

dcpuff
il y a 9 ans
I have 4 high energy dogs, 2 of them are large. What is the best hardwood/laminate/engineered material?

Commentaires (13)

• User
    il y a 9 ans
    Tile. Concrete.
  • gotbc09
    il y a 9 ans
    Stained concrete. Very forgiving and can be scored for a more unique look.
  • PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    il y a 9 ans
    Porcelain tile, and if they're prone to the occasional accident, give serious consideration to epoxy grout.
  • sybilevans
    il y a 9 ans
    What about the noise level when the dogs run on the floor
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    Porcelain tile is the way to go. There are plenty of hand scrapped wood look tiles that mimic natural wood. Get the same beauty as natural wood but with out the upkeep
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    il y a 9 ans
    When considering a floor for dogs, particularly large dogs, keep in mind that anything that is slippery can cause issues for your companions, especially as they age. Slippery surfaces can cause joint injury, not to mention a fear of walking on such a surface. Try to select a surface that has some texture to it. Cork is a durable surface that stands up well, as does linoleum.
  • PRO
    Terri Deskins Contemporary & Abstract Art
    il y a 9 ans
    We have three dogs and had the same exact concern. Now on our third house with them (laminate wood floors did not work). The best has been porcelain tile. No scratches and cleans up beautifully.
  • hayleydaniels
    il y a 9 ans
    If you go with tile, you'll need to put down some area and throw rugs so the dogs don't slip on it.
  • Natalie
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Hi---Porcelain tile. Small/narrow joints, non-sanded grout-seal well or use epoxy grout. CheerS!
  • dcpuff
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Just today I was at Lowes and saw the porcelain tile that looks like hardwood in a beautiful shade of weathered grey, like driftwood.
    Thank you so much for the concern for the health and welfare of my canine friends :) yes, area rugs definately for several reasons- sound buffer, warmth, traction, and padding on MY old knees :)
  • joandbenton
    il y a 9 ans
    I have three Goldens with Cork flooring throughout the whole house. The Cork has been fantastic (14yrs). It is not slippery, which is a major consideration for large dogs. Easy to clean, cool in Summer, warm in Winter. I dont use floor rugs - potential trip factor & fur catcher. I have never found it necessary as the house is cosy in winter. If I build again I will definitely use cork again. Plates literally bounce when dropped (seriously).
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    Joandbenton, I'm glad to hear you are having such a great time with your cork. A cork floor is an option...but it does require up-keep/maintenance. It can scratch which is where choosing the correct finish is a huge decision. I've had many clients love their cork floor (traditional colour and pattern) because it hides scratches. I've had other clients get upset because the darker colour show scratches...just like hardwood.

It comes down to what is right for your situation. If you are in the tropics then the "wood-look" tiles work very well because they have heavy embossing (they are not flat) that mimics wood. If you are in a temperate area then hardwood can do very well. If you are in a cold climate cork's benefits can out weigh a tremendous amount of "scratch" concerns.

If you CAN'T STAND the look of scratches then your best bet is porcelain tiles. If you don't mind a floor that will scratch but last 80 years than solid hardwood is your friend. If you want a floor that will look like hardwood but eats noise and reduces slipping then cork is an amazing option.

It all comes down to where you live AND your personality. A great finish can't make up for a personality that can't "handle" the look of the great finish. I can't stand yellow, orange or mint green. That means I will never purchase paint in those colours...no matter how amazing the finished product...I simply won't buy it. Personality is the driving factor in your decision. Choose what you can "put up with" and what you "can't stand" and then work with the product that matches your list.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».