Houzz Logo Print
jordanshea518

PLEASE help me find the right color for my ORANGE(ish) kitchen!

jordanshea518
il y a 9 ans
I wrote a post a month or two ago trying to find the perfect white. I have come to terms with the fact that white will just not suit this house with the current kitchen. Unfortunately we don't have the budget right now to redo the kitchen, so I have to find a color that works well with this (orange) kitchen!! I absolutely hate it- nothing looks good! We have gotten numerous quotes, but we are going to paint ourselves.

Please help me with suggestions. I would prefer to use Sherwin Williams, but am open to others within that price range (I love BM but it's just too costly).

So far I have sampled SW Creamy (too white), White Duck, Greek Villa (way too white), and Panda White. Panda white is the top contender, but I am extremely uncertain- it may be too pink.

Ah!

Commentaires (14)

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 9 ans
    Have you tried the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer?

Do you have extra tiles and wood planks?
    jordanshea518 a remercié apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    We have used SW Nomadic Desert very successfully with the amber tones of some cabinetry. Can be used throughout the house as well.
    jordanshea518 a remercié Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • mrsmarchese
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm no help but I LOVE that space!!
    jordanshea518 a remercié mrsmarchese
  • jordanshea518
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you! Yes, I have tried the paint visualizer, but nothing looks right. I am either seeing too grey/white, or too pink. We do not have extra tiles or wood samples, as it is a 7 yr old house. It is proving very difficult for "guestimating".

I just looked at Nomadic Desert, and it seems to be too close to the color we already have. We are looking to lighten up the space and make it more modern. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Thank you mrsmarchese!
  • boundsgreener
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi. I know this isn't what you are asking, but how about if you paint your kitchen cabinets and then you can choose the colour for the walls that you really like? The kitchen cabinet colour doesn't go with either of the two types of flooring and you hate it, so cover it up and I think you'll be much happier. (P.S. I love the room and the windows also.)
    jordanshea518 a remercié boundsgreener
  • PRO
    Inspire By Color
    il y a 9 ans
    The cabinets are warm, so I would suggest a cool tone. Anything else will simply be a competition in neutrals. These cards are winners in my fan deck for such cases, because they're muted but not lifeless - and very cohesive with earth tones. Think about how beautiful the blue/green patina is on copper or the mossy green lichen on trees. Colors that compliment each other live on opposite sides of the color wheel, not very unlike personalities. ;)
    jordanshea518 a remercié Inspire By Color
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    There is something to be said for Inspire by Color's suggestion. Your hardwood has PLENTY of gray in it (which is standard for oak). You can look to the gray/dark streaks in the hardwood to find some tones that will work. The beige on the walls is fighting, just ever so much, with the gray in the floor. The beige is having a very hard time playing nice with the orange/oak cabinets (that is from the finish...if you strip it down and apply a clear coat you might just end up with cabinets that work much better with your floors).

Sadly the tiles are reading "yellow" sand, the counter tops are reading gold and the back splash is reading a bit too pink/peach. The colour combination probably did well when everything was put together but the changing colour of the cabinets and the floors has causes several clashes going on in a very small area.

If you don't fix those areas (you need a budget for that...which you already admit it just isn't going to happen) you are going to paint, and paint and paint again without much success. Until you fix the things causing the upset, you will spend hundreds/thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours trying but without success.

If you can, save your money and work towards the final fix = new kitchen colours.
    jordanshea518 a remercié Cancork Floor Inc.
  • Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
    il y a 9 ans
    Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee is my favourite white.Home Depot will do a colour match with Behr or CIL paint. It looks really nice with the warm tones of the wood in these homes...
    Hillgrove · Plus d'infos
    Mountain modern Living Room - Grace Home Design · Plus d'infos
    jordanshea518 a remercié Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
  • The big house
    il y a 9 ans
    Silver Spoon color, a Martin Seynour color can be matched by SW or BM. It is a very soft green gray that looks wonderful in many settings. My cabinets are like yours and that's the color I used. Very soothing.
    jordanshea518 a remercié The big house
  • inpdx
    il y a 9 ans
    I bet replacing the tiled kitchen floor would solve your orange problem.
    jordanshea518 a remercié inpdx
  • jordanshea518
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

My Fiance actually wanted to do a grey tone, but I wasn't sure how it would look. Maybe I will give it a second chance. I do have the SW color fan, but because we have SO much natural light (windows facing south) the light is always changing and I can't get a true judge of color.

I love that Hillgrove color, Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti. Maybe I can get SW to do a color match.

Eventually I am aiming for a kitchen renovation to get it to look something like this (1)
    but my Fiance loves white cabinets so we are in debate (2).

Kitchens · Plus d'infos

Bella Rosa Court · Plus d'infos

The backsplash, tile, and painting the cabinets would be a simple enough redo, but the counters would be an expense we might not be ready for at this point. They are VERY orange, so anything cooler would look awful, in my opinion.
  • bdionne
    l'année dernière

I like your idea best with the black and white. Any updates?

• PRO
    Calvert Custom Homes
    l'année dernière

Sometimes with Golden cabinets, bringing in a bit of color helps, especially if it it a bit darker so it adds contrast. Think medium to dark tone blue, grey, brown, or green. It helps to offset the other tone. It is a cheap fix for now.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».