Houzz Logo Print
sushiiphoto

Toilet roll dilemma - over or under?

Sushiiphoto
il y a 9 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 9 ans
I'm sick and tired of my brother always changing the way how the toilet roll sits and it's making me think... maybe.. JUST MAYBE I'm doing this wrong?

I like them rolling over, what about you?
Contemporary Renewal · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (36)

• Luke
    il y a 9 ans
    you need a third option - doesn't bother me!
  • carthiefintexas
    il y a 9 ans
    Let me guess Luke, because it's not a bother, you also don't replace the roll ;)
  • lounicks
    il y a 9 ans
    Really? Is this even a thing?!
  • miglooteacher
    il y a 9 ans
    Always over. I change people's rolls if they go the wrong way. I just think they mustn't understand the science. Any pattern on any roll ever was printed/embossed to be viewed with the roll going over. End of story.
  • enyaj11
    il y a 9 ans
    When I trained as a nurse aid we were told for hygiene it had to go
    Over so people didn't reach behind and touch the wall.
  • chris412
    il y a 9 ans
    Hate toilet roll holder placed too far back, too low, or the ones where the roll slides off? All very badly designed by someone who doesn't use it. The worst are those huge containers in every shopping centre, airport, hotel etc.....always too low, never ending squashed paper that never tears off......what is this thing about ?
  • Barbara Dunstan
    il y a 9 ans
    Agree with enyaj11, over so that you don't have to touch the wall
  • lynmoresfinelinens
    il y a 9 ans
    How often do you want to repaint your toilet wall?? I'm married to a painter,it should always go over if it goes under people always touch the walls and it ends up leaving a dirty marks.
  • dozbilly
    il y a 9 ans
    Always over. I recall being told by a hospitality lecturer at University that this method actually results in less toilet paper useage in hotels.
    Sushiiphoto a remercié dozbilly
  • Herbal Bohemia (Amber)
    il y a 9 ans
    @enyaj11 I was going to say something similar. I'm a nurse, and can't believe it when I see the roll going under in our staff toilet...it must be changed! It's even worse when someone doesn't replace it...how rude.
  • Karen Ginas
    il y a 9 ans
    Over and a bidet would be nice.
  • Sophie Smith
    il y a 9 ans
    soooo gotta be over...... ever since i was about 5 yrs old i can remember swapping it to over if i ever found it going under;)
  • PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    @Sophie, me too! Do you do it at your friend's house as well?
  • Sophie Smith
    il y a 9 ans
    hahaha....... sure do.....any toilet i ever go to & find it that way:)
  • s1ara
    il y a 9 ans
    You're all WRONG gravity rules! It's under all the way. It sits neater and you can see the pattern without interference with the flap on top
  • asquithoatley
    il y a 9 ans
    I think gravity works for the toilet paper placed over as well. I have never found my toilet paper reaching for the ceiling when I place it over.
  • Sophie Smith
    il y a 9 ans
    great point asquithoatley....... yeah I don't think I've ever witnessed mine grasping towards the ceiling either.
  • gnviney
    il y a 8 ans
    We don't have to worry about touching the wall.
    This could be the solution for the hygiene concious under rollers
  • Judy
    il y a 7 ans

Well, I decided not to let this thread die. How could I resist sending this? :-)

• cloudpants
    il y a 7 ans
    Definitive answer!
  • LesleyH
    il y a 7 ans
    Wow! Next we must move on to how to squeeze the toothpaste.
    Sushiiphoto a remercié LesleyH
  • Judy
    il y a 7 ans

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :-) (personally, I have a squeezer gadget :-) )

• Luke Buckle
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

You what, @Judy? Oh right, that comment wasn't about toilet paper. Phew!

• Esther Woodward
    il y a 7 ans

For the OCD me, its over. How ever things that are far worse is using the last of the loo paper and not replacing it. Had a work situation where the extra rolls were stored on a shelf, not within reach of the loo. There seemed to be that ONE person who would never replace a roll. So a hasty hand written note was taped to the inside door " I prefer to pat dry not drip dry. So please be nice and replace the loo paper PLEASE"

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

hahahah!!! @Esther that's the worst!!!

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    il y a 7 ans

Under doesnt seem to have the numbers. Lol

• PRO
    ideal drape makers
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely over.

1. As miglooteacher pointed out if you want to show off the pattern then it has to be over.

Of course, if you tend to buy plain toilet paper (non-patterned) then that argument will only have a certain amount of relevance.

2. enyaj11 ' s comment about the hygiene concerns of people touching the wall to get a fist full of 'under' hung toilet paper, has a lot of merit.

3. misshayley Solution is certainly outside the box. Though I am not sure how I would like the 'hang' which there surely must be going vertical like that?

It's a sign of how incredibly bored I was that I actually looked up and found U.S. statistics on the question which state found that:

• 72% – hang toilet paper with the first sheet going over the roll
    • 28%- prefer to hang the first sheet under the roll

4. Of course, much meditation on the whole question of 'sanitary equipment' in the toilet led me to wonder about bidet's. .. and what in the heck is the deal with them?

Perrin & Rowe - Edwardian bidet 1 tap hole · Plus d'infos

I even found a 'how to' video on YouTube (I'll let those who are interested 'Google' the subject of bidet's and their use for themselves!)

Apparently, with bidet's it's the norm to either use toilet paper at the end of the operation or a towel. So the question of over/under may still be relevant depending on what is provided. - It's something I'll be especially mindful of if I find a bidet with nothing but a towel to finish off with!

.. but I digress.

• hayley
    il y a 7 ans

ideal drape makers I totally agree - what the hell do you need a bidet for? Seems like a great way to use more water.

• Judy
    il y a 7 ans

Well, I grew up with a bidet and love them. Under the heading of TMI, I would start by using toilet paper, (perhaps not as thoroughly as one would without a bidet) then finish by properly cleaning myself with a bidet. One can never do that with paper, regardless of how much one uses. I'd have a pile of hand towels handy, with a pail to put used towels in. I wouldn't like to use paper for that (perhaps paper towels, but definitely not toilet paper - too flimsy)

• miglooteacher
    il y a 7 ans

@Esther Woodward... Check before you sit.

• PRO
    RubikOn
    il y a 7 ans
    according to the original patent created when the idea of toilet paper was developed in 1851 the creater had it showing over the top not under or sides.
  • me me
    il y a 7 ans

It was always under when i was growing up with one of those outside dunnies. That way it would sit flat against the wall and not flap around in the wind!! Now - it's either for me.

il y a 7 ans
    If the toilet roll holder was patented in the 1800s how come in the 50s most of the families I knew were using cut up newspaper in the outside dunny?
  • annb1997
    il y a 7 ans

I am weirdly curious how many people were actually in the dunny while reading or replying to this interesting but mostly exasperating topic. I'm in favour of over, hubby under. I always change it back, but I do marvel at why he feels he has to remove the roll in the first place...it does roll after all.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».