Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Shelves or Cabinets?

Tom Flanagan
il y a 9 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 9 ans
In preparation for our Live Chat on clutter - https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/houzz-live-chat-how-to-de-clutter-friday-the-14th-at-2pm-dsvw-vd~1265881 - I thought I'd ask you all what your storage preference is. Shelves are a great way to display your favourite home and kitchen wares, as well as hang things off them, but cabinets often fit more in and keep things tidier.

If you had to choose, which would you go for - shelves or cabinets? Leave a comment explaining why!
Shelves
Cabinets

Commentaires (25)

• PRO
    Mac interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    If its purely for storage I would nearly always go for cabinets, Items on shelves are really a display therefore for the shelves to look good you have to keep it looking orderly, up to date, clean and not allow any day to day paraphernalia to be dumped on them otherwise they look a mess. However it does depend what you want to display and the style and layout of your kitchen.
  • Aby Molenaar
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree that cupboards hide stuff, however they can be overpowering in some spaces where a shelf would be more in keeping. I guess it depends on the room and the space.
  • soozmacrae
    il y a 9 ans
    Shelves have to be kept tidy and organised. Cabinets are just asking for things to get shoved in never to be seen again!
  • breda44
    il y a 9 ans
    Albeit I like the simplicity of uncluttered shelves in a kitchen but both shelves and cabinets need to be practical and aesthetically pleasing within their individual settings. Choice is the answer.
  • whiteleghorn
    il y a 9 ans
    I love being able to grab an item off the shelf without having to look for it in a cupboard, but things undeniably get dusty and a bit greasy left on a kitchen shelf.
  • Tom Flanagan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    It sounds like both shelves and cabinets require a bit of organising and cleaning - are there any good ways to organise your shelves/cabinets and keep them clean? I'd love to hear any tips!
  • Siobhan Ousby
    il y a 9 ans
    Cabinets - I choose this option mainly because I wouldn't need to dust as much. I prefer to have a storage space that can be designed to organise my items rather then display them. If needed I still could have a glass door to display but I like the privacy of cabinets.
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm sadly too messy to have all open shelves, I would like a few though!
  • anuita
    il y a 9 ans
    Shelves are very efficient as you can see everything, it is less easy to lose things at the back of a cupboard and putting away stuff is just that much quicker when you don't have to negotiate cabinet doors especially when there are tall people hanging around. Cabinets, even the glass fronted ones also tend to make a room look top heavy particularly in a small kitchen. The downside of shelves is it puts a lot of pressure on you to be neat, have matching crockery and if things on open shelves have not been used a while they can gather dust or grease from cooking.
  • Rashmi Singh
    il y a 9 ans
    Apart from storage vs. display I personally think open shelves are too hard to keep clean! Be it dust or accumulated grease from serious cooking. In my opinion if you are a serious cook and do more than boil pasta you need cabinets - and no open plan kitchens either!!
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    il y a 9 ans
    Unless you have the time to keep it clean and tidy or are a naturally tidy person then cabinets are the only option! If you really like them, then use them to store plates and bowls as these tend to look tidier....
  • Tom Flanagan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I voted shelves initially because I like the look of an open kitchen (and I love that specific picture above!). But hearing what you guys have to say, cabinets seem like the more sensible option, and I do like to cook quite alot....
  • Average Jo
    il y a 9 ans
    Both!
  • PRO
    MW_Cabinets
    il y a 8 ans

shelves really help to open up a small space

• PRO
    Gardens of London
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Great for easy access and visibility!

• PRO
    Ayres Haynes Architects Ltd
    il y a 8 ans

Great for display

• Fergal
    il y a 7 ans

As a cabinet maker myself I prefer glass door cabinets opposed to open shelves: they are stronger and there is less dusting involved

• PRO
    Northbrook Designs
    il y a 7 ans

I have to admit I love the look of a chunky open shelf but for practical living the cabinet win's hands down . How long is that super organised open shelf going to stay that way ?? Not to mention dusting / cleaning

• PRO
    Oak Tree Cabinet Makers
    il y a 7 ans

we find clients prefer cabinets.

• PRO
    Shelving Company
    il y a 7 ans

we find shelves open the space up, allow easy access etc

• Heidi Cullen
    il y a 7 ans

I am disabled and cannot afford the purpose built cupboards that drop down etc. My carpenter has made me thick wooden shelves and a similar worktop all within easy reach. He is taking all my cupboards out in a couple of months and replacing them with shelves. I can't wait x

• PRO
    Sustainable Kitchens
    il y a 7 ans

I absolutely love the look of shelves in a kitchen - they help to create a really light and simple feel to the space, and create a stage for all your favourite things.

However, they do provide less storage. So if you dont have the luxury of plenty of storage, I would suggest going for wall cabinets instead, or having a mixture of the two.

There is something to be said for keeping the walls open too - it can be tempting to fill every possible space, but don't be afraid of leaving space for your cabinets to breath. This might mean having a clear out, but it will make your room feel much more open.

Charlie

• Heidi Cullen
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Charlie,

I live alone so don't need much storage. I've been living with my open shelves now for nearly 3 months and I have to say they save me time and everyone loves them. I have left little pathways up to some very high shelves and my cats love climbing them and watching me cook. The kitchen is much lighter, easier to use and I love it. Really glad I got rid of my wall units.

• PRO
    Sheridan Reis
    il y a 7 ans

I think it depends on the style of your kitchen and what kind of look you would want to achieve but for me, I would choose cabinets as it gives you more versatility when you want to change up the design or colour scheme. It also keeps everything looking neat and tidy - even if the cupboards are jam packed:)

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».