Houzz Logo Print
rebscrap

Tiling idea for my narrow hallway.

rebecca
il y a 9 ans
This is my first post to Houzz! I really need some help! I want to put new flooring in my hallway and think I will go with a porcelain tile. I have dark hardwood on my stairs and living room/dining room, but a light wood floor in my kitchen, and don't want to try to match up the hardwood or it may look like a total disaster! Also, tile is so much more durable for a hallway with cold winters. I think I have found a few nice tile choices (see pic) that will bring both wood colors and wall colors together well. Can someone help me? I am also wondering what pattern is best to tile the floor. My existing tile pattern makes it look like a thin corridor and I HATE it!!! Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. Thanks!!

Commentaires (11)

• Libbmom
    il y a 9 ans
    I would like to at the porcelain tile that looks like wood...
  • rymerson
    il y a 9 ans
    I like the idea of a herringbone pattern, with a light colour. Or if that's not your thing, going to a larger tile could make the space look larger because of the small amount of grout lines.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    il y a 9 ans
    Both of your selections would be fine. Modern tile is laid with a much smaller grout joint than your current floor, and make sure to match the grout to the tile. This will eliminate the grid effect.

I agree, you have two colors of wood already don't introduce faux wood too.
  • PRO
    Transforming Architecture LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Both your tile selections go well with the wood you already have. If you go with a square tile, I would put it on the diagonal (45 degrees). This will make the hallway seem less narrow. If you go with the rectangle shape, I like the previous recommendations of the herringbone pattern.

Make sure you post "after" pics. I'd love to see the difference. Best wishes!
  • PRO
    Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
    il y a 9 ans
    Hello Rebscrap, useing a larger square tile and laying it on a 45 degree angle can help resolve the narrow hall issue, however, this may not work with your overall interior design style. Best of luck, Jerome
  • zazfuzzroc
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I agree with your choices. And agree with above, set at 45 degree angle is best. I think its a much better look. :)
  • Jennifer
    il y a 9 ans
    I would choose a light color to lighten up the narrow and dim hallway. If you add deep stone it will darken the lightness of your railing against the wood. To make the space feel less confined I would maybe do some form of staggered tile arrangement to widen the space. See photos for examples. My favorite is the striated looking beige tiles (last one)
  • rebecca
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you everyone! I love this site! I do like the pattern of the last pic you sent, Jennifer. (The first one looks too much like faux wood though.)A few of you are suggesting a light tile. I guess I am so tired of my existing tile that I am looking for a change and fear that a light tile won't update my look enough. Also, should I go with a uniform colour (such as Jennifer's last pic) or should I go with a tile with a bit of non-conformity within the grouping (see pic. Do you all think this colour palette would be too dark then?) Thanks again, folks!!
  • rebecca
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I just searched 'herringbone pattern' looking for some photos. I'm not sure if you all meant a larger herringbone but think that this might be a bit busy...also, Jerome...what did you mean when you said that turning the tiles on a diagonal might not go with my current decor?
  • rebecca
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Two more views of my current hallway. (Sorry for bugging everyone but tiler is coming on Tuesday to measure and will want me to have my mind made up)! Any other suggestions? I think I will upgrade the baseboard too.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».