Houzz Logo Print
user0000001

Replacing carpet with wood...but which wood?

1 0
il y a 9 ans
I'd like to remove this grey carpet and put down wood flooring in the recessed living room area and attached bedroom. The issue is that in order to avoid a discrepancy in the floor height (which creates issues with bathroom floor in the bedroom etc), I'll need to use engineered wood, which will be very difficult to match exactly with the kitchen floor. So I'm hoping for some engineered wood floor recommendations, similar or different, any ideas for grain/color/pattern/quality/etc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Commentaires (11)

• printesa
    il y a 9 ans
    Agree with Terri. Go with solid wood,,the engineered one can't really be refinished,,maybe once, but that is about it
    1 0 a remercié printesa
  • printesa
    il y a 9 ans
    What is the discrepancy difference? Hard wood comes in different thickness, so you could buy the one that would fit well with the height of the bathroom floor
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Do you mean engineered or laminate? Engineered and hardwood are about the same thickness.
    1 0 a remercié JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Arley Wholesale, Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi Asad,

Are you definitely looking for wood material or just the look?

Christiana
    1 0 a remercié Arley Wholesale, Inc.
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    il y a 9 ans
    Looks like 2-1/4 natural white oak. Hard to tell if it's pre-finished or a water base site applied finish. Stay with a 3/4 solid product for a consistent look. Most engineered floors are rotary peeled giving a different grain texture and pattern. If the solid product is a different height than the bathroom floor, a pro can purchase or make you a custom transition saddle to give it a clean look. Good luck!
    1 0 a remercié The Men With Tools
  • 1 0
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. To try to answer everyone at once, I'm shopping around for options and solutions...I'd prefer solid wood for reasons stated here already but the problem lies with the fact that beneath the carpet is cement, which would require us to lay down a subfloor and I've been told this raises the floor about 3/4" best case scenario. This creates a significant enough height discrepancy with my bathroom floor, which would either require a transition or retiling of the bathroom.

How do we feel about laminate floors...how is the quality/feel/look/durability? Also, is this the method/material that would result in the shallowest height difference?

Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Terri Weinstein Design, Inc
    il y a 9 ans
    Consider a dark wood (cherry or Walnut stained-it could be oak)to define and make a dramatic difference between the floors. From the top of the stairs that would look really great. Also, if you're concerned about tying the floor colors together, you could do a border of the lighter wood around the darker floor, or use 2 or all 3 colors in a checkerboard or grid. Another possibility would be to use the darker color for a border and the lighter (same or close as existing, maybe run in a different direction in the center. Remember, too, the border doesn't have to be smack at the walls. It could be in a bit allowing the center floor to also be the outside edge, while the border would make that floor special and therefore not expected to be the same.
  • PRO
    Terri Weinstein Design, Inc
    il y a 9 ans
    I understand the height discrepancy problem. Would still prefer a threshold that is angled to make up the 3/4" difference to an engineered floor. Haven't used laminate floors, but my instinct would be to stay with 3/4" hardwood. You could even bleach and stain a color or have someone paint a rug on the hardwood floor and then seal it over several coats with a protective material so that you don't walk off the design. This painted rug idea works extremely well in a dining room where a fiber rug is bound to get dirty under the table, and has to be quite large to accommodate the sliding in and out of the chairs.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    How do I feel about laminate? Honestly, I would prefer something else. The one big thing that annoys me about it is the "clicking" sound. Maybe that can be resolved with a better underlay, but I can't comment on that issue.

Have you investigated any of the vinyl options? My daughter used glue down strips in her entire cottage...everywhere. It looks so real that when she tells people it is vinyl, they will stoop down to feel it. Looks great with area rugs, easy to clean. I believe she bought the Earthwerks line.

http://www.earthwerks.com/lvp.php
  • lisashrout
    il y a 9 ans
    I completely agree about looking at vinyl options. We recently decided to use it in our basement after it had water intrusion. I was stunned by the look.....everyone thinks it is wood. It is actually a click panel so it is easy to install over cement and easy to replace a plank if it damaged. It is completely waterproof which is another bonus.

You can get the planks in just about any color. Again, I was surprised at how much I like it. I wish I would have known about it before I spent so much money on bamboo hardwood.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».