Houzz Logo Print
chantelle_edwards6998182

Hi, can anyone poke holes in these drawings. Anything missing??

Chantelle Edwards
il y a 9 ans
My husband and I are renovating and just received these drawings back from architect. We don't have much feedback for him. Can anyone suggest things we might be missing apart from a front hall closet on the downstairs layout?

Commentaires (49)

• PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Nice job of creating a compact plan - really compact. When doing a livable small home, consider what I call "boat design" - use of every nook and cranny. Kitchen/dining seems large for the scale of the home - if that many people living there, consider better balance with living space. Mudroom access to garage? visible to kitchen? Stair looks like it wants a tall vertical window top to bottom for interest and natural light. Consider solar orientation and passive approaches to energy savings when getting to next steps. Entry rather abrupt - if possible, create sense of entry other than Boom - you're here. Frank Lloyd Wright talks about pressure/tension/release cycle of compressing entry and then moving to larger space for psychological impact of "feels much bigger" response.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Hrivnak Associates, LLC
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    il y a 9 ans
    The reason why the architect didn't provide much feedback is because this is the 'best' design he/she came up with given the pre-existing conditions.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Dytecture
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I wonder if you could make your current laundry room deeper then switch the bathroom with the laundry room. This way you could have a little bit of counter in your laundry with a little sink. If you make the new bathroom 5 ft deep, you could have a tub in one end with a 5 ft deep vanity on the other end. I must admit that the minus would be to have the toilet facing the door but that is what I have at home and I got easily used to it. It is a small compromise to get a 5 ft vanity.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié suzanne_m
  • PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Can't answer question regarding kitchen door without more context (site plan, garage, orientation, etc.) Pre-existing conditions do indeed create design parameters - any of which can be overcome to a great degree pending your budget.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Hrivnak Associates, LLC
  • PRO
    Jacque O Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm somewhat surprised that the architect hand drew the plans...freehand. I do notice that there is a bay window in the kitchen which would normally be intended for a small breakfast table. However, there are no dimensions given. it looks like the kitchen door could be placed somewhere else. The mud room is glass windows on two sides. Is it possible to move the door to come in through the mud room and remove the window that is on the same wall the door is now?
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Jacque O Designs
  • PRO
    Jacque O Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Is there supposed to be a wall to the left of the laundry area? I'm a bit confused as to why there is a door there when there are doors that open into the laundry room as well. If that is supposed to be a separate closet...great. In the master suite bathroom, I would exclude the bathtub. It appears you have to walk through the shower to get access to the tub.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Jacque O Designs
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    There is not a lot of cabinets in the kitchen. I would use some of the space either in the bar or the built-in for kitchen storage. Also, it is more comfortable to load and unload the dishwasher when standing on the side instead of on the front. You might want to revise the location of the dishwasher.
  • PRO
    The Design Bar
    il y a 9 ans
    I am sure you are excited about your project! In looking at your kitchen layout, I agree with Suzanne_M and would be concerned with where the dishwasher and sink are located. In addition, the sink is located in an area that does not have much counter space for when you wash or dry your dishes. It looks like the dishwasher is positioned along the cabinetry line that is perpendicular to the sink and would be difficult to load while standing at the sink which would be normal way to load. I am not sure the scale of this drawing but you might not be able to barely stand at the sink while loading with the door open. I would suggest locating the sink and the dishwasher in the island. In addition, as an interior designer, I always look at what the "site lines" are as you walk from one space to the next. As you walk down the hall into the study, you will be looking at your desk which might always be piled with paper or work. You might want to consider switching around the space to have the desk "hidden" where the sofa is. Happy Renovating!
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié The Design Bar
  • PRO
    Ballack Design + Architecture, LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Big picture: Nice overall plan concept. Compact and efficient.

First floor: Consider screening off the living room from the entry by incorporating a "plane" consisting of a generous coat closet. This plane could engage the library, perhaps allowing an opening off the entry hall to the living room between the closet and library. I would swap the guest bedroom and den so that the bedroom is closer to the bath. The mud room space needs more definition. Hard to comment unless I had more context/program issues at hand. That being said, I would try to move the mud room door over to one end so you can develop a better flow from the mud room to the kitchen space (ie. Closets, bench, shoe storage, coat hooks, etc). Regarding the kitchen, consider locating the sink and dishwasher over to the island. Or consider locating the sink so that it is centered on the double window.

Second floor: Consider eliminating the triple door layout at the laundry closet and go with one pair of 6 ft wide double doors. Consider front load washer/dryer appliances centered on the space so you can have a large countertop over the top for work/folding. Then have wall cabinets and hanging space for clothing above. Bathroom storage is a premium. Make sure the master bath and hall bath has plenty of space for linens/towels/bath wares. Keep I mind your vanity cabinets will fill up quickly with the day to day stuff. Perhaps a linen closet can be worked into the master bedroom entrance ante room area?

Good luck with your new project! I hope all your dreams and wishes are met.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Ballack Design + Architecture, LLC
  • er612
    il y a 9 ans
    Definitely eliminate the L shape of your cabinets and move the sink next to the dishwasher. It may seem like you're losing cabinet space but you're actually just making the space more accessible.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié er612
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I just saw that the closet in the guest bedroom is the same depth as the width of the entrance closet. It is about 3 ft deep. That is a big waste of space. The depth of the bedroom closet should not be didacted by the width the entrance closet. As suggested by Ballack Design, create the closet entrance on the living room side. Then you can make the guest bedroom closet 2 ft deep instead of 3. The 1 foot you gain can be added to the den or the bedroom. I have the same opinion as Ballack Design about switching the den and the guest bedroom.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    There is another option for your sink and dishwasher ... you may not like it but it is worth mentioning it. What about moving your stove where the sink is and move the dishwasher and sink where the stove is. You would need to move the windows too. Unfortunately, you would have to nix the windows by the deck where the stove would be.
    EDIT: To compensate for the lost of the window above the stove, the door beside the stove could be a french door.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    il y a 9 ans
    Instead of giving you advice on the specifics of the drawings, my suggestion is for you and your husband to think about the plan relative to how you want to live in the house. First, think about how this house will sit on the lot. Where is north/south/east/west, that is, where is the light coming from? Light or lack thereof can make or break a room. Are there trees, houses, roads, or other sights visible from the windows, and do you want to see them? Walk yourself through the house, starting at the front door, and think about what you might see and do while moving through it. What activities will you do in each room? How comfortable would you be when doing those activities? Will children/pets/family/guests use these spaces? This is a very personal project and you need to immerse yourself in it and do some self-reflection.
    Then sit down with the architect and ask LOTS of questions. Why did he/she place the window/door/sink/stairway, etc. where it is? What was his thought process in creating this house? You are very fortunate that the architect included a furniture layout in this plan, many do not and then you are faced with where do I put the bed/sofa?
    This looks like a first step and the onus is on you and your husband to spend time thinking about how this house will serve you and then communicate to your architect any concerns you have. You will probably revise the plans and make changes before the final construction drawings are done. Good luck!!
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Architectrunnerguy
    il y a 9 ans
    Great comments above. Regarding the master bath I would add I don't like looking at the side of a toilet. Plus the toilet looks rather lost in the space.

Also, regarding the stair, it needs work. Great stairs connect a house, poor stairs dissect it. Right now you have the latter. And it appears that there may be a headroom issue with the floor of bedroom #1.

Haven't got time to put pen to paper but here's a couple of examples of reworking a stairs that connect a house that I've done here in the past:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-improving-layout-of-kitchen-and-master-bath-walk-in-dsvw-vd~1198458

And for this one scroll past my colored stuff to the B&W freehand sketch near the bottom:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-on-floor-plan-details-for-new-build-private-bathroom-dsvw-vd~941477

And I wouldn't worry about an idea being drawn freehand or with a computer, especially in the conceptual stages of design. Creativity comes from the head.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi,
    Your post indicates that you are renovating. It would be helpful to see how the new plans compare with the existing home.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Charles Ross Homes
  • Libbmom
    il y a 9 ans
    Is there any way the switch the stairs with the bathrooms? Also agree that the guest room might be best where the den is...possibly having 2 doors into the bath once switched bath/stairs...hope this makes sense.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Libbmom
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    Chantelle, you are very lucky to have architectrunner on board. This guy draws amazing layouts.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    il y a 9 ans
    You're too kind Suzanne but I am printing out your comment for the next time Mrs. Architectrunnerguy questions one of my ideas for around the house!! LOL!

And your thoughts above, as well as on other threads I've read, have been an invaluable contribution to the community.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I am not questioning, I just want to learn from the master in architecture ;)
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    You have many windows on the East wall. Is there a specific reason to that? Is your house very close to the neighbor? Can you put the windows at the back instead. Having one in the stairs is nice too. It makes the space look larger and not as dark. I have learned that from architecturerunnerguy :))
  • grewa002
    il y a 9 ans
    As a non professional, I love this discussion, because this is similar to how I would imagine the floor plan of a house ( if I were to build one).
    I agree with comments above that the dining space seems large.

I also agree with a comment about switching the guest room and office/ den. This way the guest room would be closer to the bath, more private, plus, if you were to have a big party, if you put french doors to the office/ den, you could incorporate that into your living room space.
    But of course, this all depends on your lifestyle and family size.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié grewa002
  • PRO
    Woven Concepts
    il y a 9 ans
    Isn't the sink too far from the stovetop. If you cook a lot it may create some complications. Do you have another water source near your stovetop?
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié Woven Concepts
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I am not sure how wide are your stairs. The moving of the furniture to the second floor may be a little bit hard since you have a 180 degrees turn to make.
  • potter99
    il y a 9 ans
    Do not proceed with this plan. Instead read Diana Bier's comment and take your time with each step she outlines. Then look at ALL the the issues caught by Susanne m and the architectrunnerguy. These two have identified many fundamental issues with the functionality of this plan - please consider each one.
    Then start with a clean slate! - however- It is possible to maintain the "envelope" of this plan but make far better use of the square footage available resulting in enhanced livability.
    Return often to Bier's outline: make sure you've considered each point. List your desires and priorities (negative & positive)
    EXAMPLE my priorities would be:
    -Site lines from the kitchen and great room
    -Never have entrance directly into kitchen
    -Hallways are a waste of square footage
    -Straight access to basement
    - laundry situated so easy to do other tasks at same time

Those are some items on my lists, - you could even decide the shapes and size rooms you prefer and don't forget proximity. Do you want the master removed from or close to the other bedrooms. TAKE YOUR TIME!
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié potter99
  • emilyam819
    il y a 9 ans
    Potter99, how do you know that the homeowners haven't already taken their time and decided they want the laundry upstairs, with the master on one side and the other bedrooms on the other, and decided the shapes and sizes of the rooms? Perhaps the hallways DO serve a function - such as creating a foyer area and a bit of separation between the main living areas and the office and guest bedroom. Some people want that. We don't have enough information to decide that this plan isn't functional.

Chantelle, what do you think about the suggestions so far? What are the features you really want and which are constrained by the current layout of the home and the lot? Maybe the reason you don't have much feedback from the architect is that he incorporated almost everything you wanted. I think it is a GREAT plan; however, if it were my house, I would rearrange the appliances, switch the guest bed and the office, and move the kitchen entrance into the mudroom area, if possible, as the other posters have suggested. I would also ditch the tub and try to get two walk-in closets - but maybe you don't agree. I think everyone following this thread would love to hear from you.
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié emilyam819
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree with potter99 and Diana Biers not to proceed with this plan as it is now and walk through your house first. There are issues that must be addressed, other that you will have to make compromises. I don't want to completely destroy your floor plan but I will continue to point out issues when I see them, small or big, just for you to consider if it is important to you or not. I will also offer solution if can think of one. There are two more issues I just saw: You have no place to hang your coat when entering in the house. I would use some of the space of the built-in to make a closet for the mudroom. Also I am not liking too much the idea of having to look between 2 chairs to watch the television unless the television is mounted high which is not the best situation. You may develop neck problem. You might want to move your television where the library is and move your 2 chairs on the East wall. BTW, will you have a basement? Do you plan on finishing it? Part of it?
    EDIT: I also partially agree with emilyam819. However, we don't know what Chantelle like or dislike from the plan suggested by her architect so the best we can do is to tell her what we dislike. Isn't it what Chantelle indirectly asked when she posted her dilemma after all?
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    It's me again, I don't know if having a couch and coffee table in your den is a necessity. If it is not, maybe you can have a smaller den moved closer to the entrance then have the guest bedroom and somehow reconfigure the stairs to be enlarged or avoiding a 180 degrees turn and also have a bigger bathroom.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I am better at working with 2 dimensional floor plan than 3 but it seems to me that the stairs are not working between the first floor and the second floor. If you look at the outline of the house on the second floor, they are sticking out but they are not on the first floor.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    il y a 9 ans
    I saw that too Suzanne. Thought maybe the roof came up from the 1st floor.

Also, there are windows shown in the master bath with a lot of kitchen space in the 1st floor below which needs a roof which will have to be very shallow or nearly flat to clear the bath windows. Maybe a problem if the look does not have a modern/contemporary bent.

As Charles Ross pointed out, it would be great to see the starting point in both plan and elevation.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    Or unless they switch the ensuite with the master bedroom and have a deck for the bedroom. I am not crazy about that idea if they have close neighbors at the back.
  • PRO
    alexandragilson
    il y a 9 ans
    How big is your family to have an idea of your needs ? Do you have the plan of the original house and what was your demand to your architect ? A first reflexion : Do your dressing need a door ?
    Chantelle Edwards a remercié alexandragilson
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    If I align the 2 floors with the width of the stairs and the front of the house, this is the result. There is a lot of work to do to make this layout works. I think there is not much more we can do until we hear from Chantelle.
  • PRO
    Kitchens and Baths by Curio
    il y a 9 ans
    I have not read the other posts, but try the sink as a corner installation with DW washer on left side. Corners are never good storage area.
  • Chantelle Edwards
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi Everyone,

First off, thank you very much for all of the insightful commentary and suggestions... The feedback has been invaluable. In regards to some of the comments provided, we have attached the existing floor plans to provide some insight into what we are working with.

Feedback on the feedback -

Orientation: What is technically the front door, is the south side of the house. That said, the natural/convenient access is through the mud room, which is accessed from two parking stalls (no garage or carport). The home sits on a NW corner lot, an benefits from good sun exposure on the south and east sides of the home. In the same breath, there are a lot of windows and we don't want people driving by to see directly into the kitchen (via the mudroom).

Kitchen & Dining: As suggested by many of you, we have decided to move the sink and dishwasher over to the island. We appreciate that the dining area may be a bit large, but we enjoy entertaining and want to be able to accommodate large groups for dinner. We'd ultimately like to have a bit more cabinet space in the kitchen, but are limited due to windows. Accordingly, we are hopeful that the bar and built-ins will provide the additional cabinet space we'll ultimately need. We'd prefer a bit more separation between the mud room and the kitchen but are not sure how to accomplish this.

Mud Room: Continuing with the mud room, we're not sure how best to address the lack in closet space and shoe storage. We are thinking that built-in benches will help a bit, but think more storage is necessary.

Office/Bedroom: Reason for moving the existing bedroom on the first floor to where the current office is, is so we can attempt to open up the staircase. As it stands right now, the stairs are very closed off and narrow..... otherwise, our preference would have been to keep the bedroom where is currently is.

Living Room: We maintained the two walls, which create a small hallway because it does block the site lines to the bathroom. Furthermore, and more importantly, they are load bearing and we don't want to incur the costs of removing. While we would like to incorporate a fire place into the living room, we're not sure if it's realistic. We're also not totally sure about possible location for a TV in this room as our preference would be to face SE and appreciate the view.

Second Floor: All things considered, we're happy with the layout of the second floor. We think the idea of having the front loading wash/dryer centered with 2 large doors was a great suggestion, and one that we'll likely incorporate. Because of the angle of the roof, we may not end up with hanging space above the w/d, which is a concern we have. We're not totally sure on what to do with the master bath as the comments regarding the side of toilet being exposed did resonate with us.

I'm sure we have neglected to respond to a number of comments in the above, but do appreciate everyone taking the time to provide their thoughts regardless. Please keep them coming.
  • Chantelle Edwards
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I have included the original floor plans above for reference. Also, I am being told that the wall between the built in and the mudroom that would have the built in on the other side is a load bearing wall and cannot be made into a closet.

Additionally, I am very perplexed about the laundry up. My husband says many of his friends who have recently built love having it upstairs. Ours however will not be ceiling height. and will be in a small closet with no counter or bar space. I'm worried their will be a basket of clothing at the top of the stairs all the time and I will have to take the clothes elsewhere to hang them.

I have also included the basement floorplan which we plan to largely leave as is.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions. We really appreciate the advice.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    Chantelle, can you tell me if I aligned the second floor correctly with the first floor? Should it be aligned with the front of the house or the back or somewhere in the middle? Also, there is a window behind the built-in, are you planing on having a built-in low enough so it fits under the window? Just out of curiosity, do you think you will still be using the laundry room in the basement if you have one close to the bedrooms?
  • Chantelle Edwards
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi Suzanne, you did align the second floor correctly with the first. There are multiple peaks on the house. This is a picture of the mudroom entrance off the car park area. The peak furthest to the right is over the kitchen.

RE: the built in the window will still exist. There will be a counter top installed so you can still use the window.

Re: laundry - it's not ideal to go to the basement but I think I will have to. There is nowhere for a sink or a place to hang on the top floor.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    I wanted to suggest a different layout for the 2nd floor but before I did this, I needed to lay the new 2nd floor layout over the old first floor to have an idea of the dimensions of the rooms. When I laid the floor, I assumed that the stairs was the same width in the old and new layout. When doing so, I found a discrepancy. See green areas on the pictures below. I don't understand. It seems to me that the back wall of the stairs should have been where I drew the red wall. Do you know the reason why I have that anomaly?
    Also, part of the floor of bedroom #2 is under the foyer. Although it does not affect the functionality of the house, it may look strange when you look at the ceiling when standing in the foyer. I also attached the picture I had previously posted above so you can compare the 2 side by side.
  • suzanne_m
    il y a 9 ans
    When looking at your current layout and the proposed layout, I find it is a really good one in term of efficiency considering all the functionality you want to add vs the space availability while trying to cut on the cost of the renovations by reducing the re-location of the existing plumbing. You have to make compromises and I think you made the good ones. However, to me, there are two points that you must discuss with your architect to verify that it is not a problem. They have been mentioned by archtecturerunner guy: the head space on the stairs below bedroom #1 and the windows in the master bathroom knowing you have an angled roof in the kitchen. There are other 2 points that are less important but would be nice to fix. They have been mentioned already: the distance and the size of the entrance closet and the view of the side of the toilet in the master bathroom. Would it be possible you give us the dimensions of rooms in the proposed floor plans? I am thinking that if you extend the north wall in bedroom #1 to be aligned with the stairs, you can reconfigure the bedroom so that you can give a bit more room for the head space in the stairs. Also, I am thinking that if you extend the laundry to be aligned with the south wall, you may get a bigger laundry room and reconfigure the master bedroom so that, at the end, you can allocate more space in the master bathroom. This maybe give you the opportunity to re-locate the toilet so it is not in full view. I also find by extending the laundry, you won't have that unappealing look of having a partial ceiling showing in the middle of the foyer (green rectangle in the picture above). I also wonder if you can reconfigure the living room just a bit so you have a closet by the entrance and you don't need to watch the tv between 2 chairs. It would also give you more space in the den and/or guest bedroom since you can reduce the depth of the closet and make it a standard 2 ft deep.
  • er612
    il y a 9 ans
    I saw this house and thought of your master bath:
    Craftsman Revived · Plus d'infos

Not sure if it will work in your space but thought the compact tub/shower could free up space for your toilet. You could also shift the double vanity to the left and install the toilet to the right of it:
    Craftsman Revived · Plus d'infos
  • Lisa Williams
    il y a 8 ans

Depending on your existing plan/limitations...

I would put sink and DW opposite your island and move the cooktop/stove to the wall where your sink is currently shown. I believe you could still have your facing a window.

A stackable washer/dryer would allow you to create more storage/folding space within the current closet configuration.

I agree with previous posters that the bay window/dog bed area is better combined with your mudroom and shielded from the kitchen.

Lastly, I would consider swapping the guest bedroom and office so that the bedroom would be nearer to the bathroom and more private. A sliding or barn door on the office would offer some quiet and privacy from the living area.

Have fun and enjoy your newly renovated home!

• Lisa Williams
    il y a 8 ans

Oh! Any way to create a water closet for the toilet in the master bath?

• sheilaskb
    il y a 8 ans

The guest bedroom seems a bit far from the bathroom, so would there be any chance of switching the den and the guest bedroom? As for the hall closet, what is the small enclosure across the hall from the label that says "library?" The area looks like a coat closet to me.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

discussion ended in aug?

• karolz1
    il y a 8 ans
    Is there enough room to the left of the kitchen sink for stacking dirty dishes and do you really want to look at your mud room from the kitchen?
  • suezbell
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Did you do the renovation yet? If so, update, please.

I suspect this is an owner drawn drawing (rather than the work of a pro) -- someone that needs to invest in some graph paper and do some accurate measuring of the current walls. Once this is done, post what you now have and what you want to do if you want input that actually matters.

My first thought at seeing your plan is that I'm not at all that sure your steps are going to line up as you hope -- the exterior wall doesn't.

Your downstairs exterior walls need to support your upstairs walls; then if you add any room downstairs beyond the exterior wall, it's preferable to adding enough usable space to justify the expense -- such as one single story room to serve as a mudroom / back entry w/laundry closet beside the kitchen (and, perhaps, a back porch under the same roof) -- that would be a more practical plan than the two angles you now show at the dining, mudroom, kitchen exterior wall.

Having the noises of the laundry room over the living room is something you might find you don't like -- and that's if you actually had the interior walls downstairs for the plumbing pipes for the laundry room you show upstairs -- walls needed to support the substantial weight of a washer/dryer -- which you do not appear to have.

Investing in a single piece tub enclosure and having the shower head added above the enclosure on the end where the tub spout/drain are located is likely a much more practical idea than the expense of separate tub and shower units and walking through a shower to get to a tub. Again, you're going to need the interior walls downstairs (preferably interior walls if you are in a geographic area with seriously cold winters) for the plumbing pipes.

Your door to your deck from your kitchen is not actually drawn but the curved line indicates the door would open outward and would hit the downstairs bath window as it does so.

You should consider putting the sink along the same long exterior wall as the stove and fridge (with the sink under a window) -- or, at the very least, put it in the corner under the windows so you'll have room for setting stuff (clean/dirty dishes and/or veggies/food being washed) on either side.

If you do not turn the corner with the countertop on the left (deck) side of the kitchen, you could leave room for a sliding glass patio door to the deck from that left side of the kitchen.

(Bonus: You'll also likely find you countertop is a bit less expensive without that unnecessary corner/angle.) Make sure you have at least a 18" cabinet w/countertop between stove and refrigerator so the heat from the stove doesn't keep the refrigerator running unnecessarily long and at least that much on each side of the sink as well.

I don't see the purpose of the "mudroom" since you're not actually entering into it to wipe your feet there. You really should rethink the short interior wall between the "mud room" and the kitchen/dining area and the wall where the "Built ins"; however, you could also consider putting the "dog bed" accessible from the mudroom and built into the back of your built ins if you decide stay with your current floor/wall plan and keep the dogs dedicated space out of the kitchen -- perhaps even adding a half/half door to shut the dogs in the "mud room" and out of the kitchen when you need to (also putting the doggie door in the mudroom wall rather than in the kitchen door).

You have a large island bar and dining room table almost next to one another. That has the potential to look awkward.

You're crowding your dining area with another bar/countertop and built-ins. Where you have the word "Bar?", you could either build in floor to ceiling cabinets as a built in china cabinet -- or just put your china cabinet there. Where you have "Built ins" you could straighten the wall and have two windows or a sliding glass door to a new patio (and lose the extra, unnecessary angle in the exterior dining room wall -- unless that "bump out" where you've drawn "Built ins" actually already exists).

You have a shower stall in front of a window downstairs -- that may prove impractical.

You have an upstairs bath without a window and another with both a shower and a tub. You might consider building a "bath and a half" here rather than two full baths: You'd have two powder rooms (toilet/sink) -- one on each side of a center room with only a tub enclosure with shower fixture. One powder room would have a door to the master bedroom and the other powder room would have a door to the hallway as a children's powder room. You'd have more room in each room and could have a window in each room....and you'd save money.

Instead of a laundry room upstairs, consider a large closet for coats and luggage and vacuum cleaner.

You should at least consider putting the guest room where you have the den and, unless it is a weight bearing wall, lose the wall between the living room and the other front room, enlarging the living room rather than having a separate den but putting your "library" den/office in that left end of the living room.

• PRO
    Fazzolari Custom Homes & Renovations
    il y a 8 ans

Given that this is a remodel, there are probably limitations on the plan that we cannot know of without being involved in the process. One suggestion I have for all of my clients is to imagine the vertical elements of the home as you look at the floor plan. Imagine the walls and space on them that you can utilize - do you want built ins, how about lighting? Lighting is something to think of now - as it can make a big impact with very little cost. Look beyond the single dimension of the floor plan and imagine it as the space you will be walking through. Have fun! It should be fun!

• PRO
    Dickinson Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

This post was almost a year ago button looking at it I would suggest bookcases with closed storage below on either side of your 'study' window. This would be interesting to see from the doorway if you use books, art, and accessories on the shelves and the closed storage below covers up equipment and perhaps a printer.

Dickinson Interiors, Columbus, Ohio

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».