Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1007783

Looking for Suggestions on Window Treatments in Kitchen/Dining Area(Style, colour, where to mount, etc.)

User
il y a 11 ans
We just completed a renovation and built a small addition which contains the kitchen. The kitchen is new. The cabinets are maple with "rye" stain. I wanted as much natural light as possible and also wanted a clear view of the children playing the the back yard.

I'd love to hear suggestions on window treatments that will maximize the natural light, and not obstruct the view when they are open (eg, I want to avoid valances). If we didn't have neighbours so close, I'd not have any window coverings at all...however we're feeling a bit like we now live in a fishbowl! So we're looking to have a little bit more privacy in the evenings.

The dining area is part of the old house (one day we'll upgrade the dining area window to match in style when budget allows). And one day I dream of a custom built-in padded bench/nook in the dining area...but for now we have to just make do with the furniture we have. I also prefer to stay away from corded blinds (young children). And please excuse the clutter - we're still getting unpacked/organized!

Thanks in advance for your ideas/inspiration!

Commentaires (8)

• michigammemom
    il y a 11 ans
    You might consider a textured roller shade...no cords and unobtrusive when fully open.
    KitchenLab · Plus d'infos
  • PRO
    Waters Edge Blinds and Window Treatments
    il y a 11 ans
    Check out sheerweave solar shades, they will not block your view like a roller shade.
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thanks for the tips!.

How would you treat the picture window (that has the vertical slider on either side - it's all one unit)? Would you install a single roller blind to cover the entire window (it's nearly 6 feet wide), or would you split them into 3 separate ones (as I see in the above picture). If they were 3 separate ones, since our window is 1 unit, I assume we would have to mount them to the top inside part of the window casing. Or would it still look okay to mount them outside the window to the casings above the window? I'm new to roller blinds - thanks!
  • PRO
    F&R Interiors Custom Window Treatments
    il y a 11 ans
    You mentioned that you would like to have some privacy at night as well as keeping maximum sunlight during the day. The best treatment in my opinion for your windows that will give you all functions is the Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shades. They can be rolled up all the way up using a continuous cord loop, which is not dangerous for children like some of the other long thing cords. When rolled down they have two positions: 1) with the louvers completely closed, which lets all the light in and gives you 100% privacy. 2) with the louvers open which allows you to see out with some privacy and full sunlight... it's also soft and will look beautiful with the maple cabinets. While the sheer weave shades would be a good option keep in mind that the privacy is limited and at night when the lights are on in the kitchen and it's dark outside you will be exposed with not much privacy. Silhouette shades are more costly that the sheer weave but they do give you the function of two completely separate shades.. one see through and the second full privacy (day or night). I'm attaching pictures of both shades for your viewing.
    if you reside in the LA area please visit our showroom so you can see some live samples. Our website is fandrinteriors.com and it has all contact information. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck!!!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    il y a 11 ans
    Perhaps something with a bit more thickness will provide additional privacy.

Kitchen Transformation · Plus d'infos
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    il y a 11 ans
    Given your set of conditions, a sheer roller shade is a good option. A roller shade will take up the least amount of view. A sheer fabric will allow light, but give you a layer of privacy. You will want to inside mount the roller shade. Hope that helps.
    Charmean Neithart
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Plus d'infos
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thanks again for all the tips!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».