Houzz Logo Print
nomusamagic

Non "fru-fru" window treatments for kitchen, great room

nomusamagic
il y a 11 ans
Took down vinyl verticals and donated them. Like open look but sometimes at night, seems invasive. Ideas on kitchen and great room (one room can be seen from other) window treatments that allow clean, no fru-fru minimal look, occasional privacy, bit of style?? Willing to do custom if necessary but prefer to save $$

Commentaires (61)

• nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Julie Herrell ... Thx for responding. I agree with you and have replaced my 1990s thick, nubby, fabric-y ones with hideous POWDER blue and PEACH striping :-) with what's currently available. Clean, lightweight, cheap buy 'em off the rack at Home Improvement store!! I may dig a bit deeper in pocket for great room :-) I know there are really lovely, more formal ones.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Mpoulsom ... Thanks for responding. As I said to Julie, I do like the Roman Shade concept. Interesting idea to mix it up with matching drapes that can be pushed outta way for in/out and light. Hmmm .. This could be it :-) thx again.
  • mpoulsom
    il y a 11 ans
    I think it could work.....like your house btw. very pretty! looks like you have good taste, whatever you decide will be nice i'm sure.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Jo Allan ... Thx for responding and your thumbs-up!! I can sense you know my "pain" :-). I agree on color pop and art. There were things .. but ... after painting, they never made it back up. Partly procrastination but as u suggested .. Not wanting to rush .. to determine what "speaks to me". And btw, it was all the GORGEOUS pix on this site that got me so crazy and inspired. Oddly, I'm a mostly traditional/transitional chick with a more contemporary home. I want MOLDING and wainscoting but in a NY loft kinda way! :-) sound koo-koo, right? Thx again!
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Marie Hebson ... Thx for responding! I assume u are a designer so I value your advice. I guess I get crazy watching hgtv where they replicate a million dollar room for $2000!! I definitely get your point and divided by the next 10-20 years (plz don't do the decorator-scream!), custom is really nominal. As someone said ... Why spend HALF the money and be ticked off FOREVER, every time u look at it vs getting what u really want (within avg ppl reason) and u can forever enjoy and don't even feel THAT bad sacrificing to pay.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Amy Burke ... Thx for responding! U are very right it's a great option! Coincidentally, I have ALSO seen sliding panels at Ikea. But.... concluded that while they certainly fit cost/cute criteria ... panels need to be "somewhere" when we want full light; most of the time. Not sure it fits unobstructive criteria. Holding my head w/ both hands in confusion :-) So many great options graciously offered. Thx again!
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Mpoulsom ... Awww shucks, thx!!
  • elcieg
    il y a 11 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 ans
    For the three in your family room, my vote is for Roman shades. Just make sure they line up https://www.houzz.com/photos/tudor-addition-breakfast-area-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~327478

As for the door in your kitchen I like it just the way it is. If you are wary at night, install a motion detector over the door and some ground lighting; otherwise it looks pretty private and pretty out there.
  • Amy Burke
    il y a 11 ans
    Your welcome! I agree, the stacking is always a tough one when in a horizontal side to side fashion. I wish you the best!
  • Michelle
    il y a 11 ans
    I would leave the top section of your windows uncovered and add your covering of choice to the bottom sections only. There were many good suggestions stated above :)
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    JudyG ... Thx for responding. U R right! I think we most all agree, roman shades ...perhaps with same color drape for patio door, is the ticket for great room! I am sorta in agreement re kitchen. It's not the safety thing. Hate to be graphic but its the making coffee at 6am in undies thing :-) the flora u see will be empty branches for what, 5 months! Born and raised in the great state of Michigan :-)
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Knees ... 100% agree. No matter what we finally do, top w/b open. Elevation is such that you'd have to really be DETERMINED to see in. In that case ... Enjoy the view :-)
  • elcieg
    il y a 11 ans
    Hey, with those Victoria Secret ads on T V why risk being a peeper?
  • PRO
    CASTLE Design Studio LLC
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi! Love your idea of ”Traditional in a Mod World”. Just to throw a completely different idea into the mix, these are dupioni silk panels (lined) with wood hardware. They add a soft, elegant touch but are simple. I sourced them from PB, very cost efficient and they seem to often be on sale.
  • PRO
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Hello!
    I own and run a workroom, here in Salt Lake and couldn't pass this up! There are a lot of comments here, but thought I would still share a few thoughts. Romans are beautiful, but not on sliding door features.

You could do A (1) drapery panel the arched slider. This could be stunning. You would use a rod with a 2" diameter and hang above the arch. I think that best option is to use a single panel, and it would stack on the right, up against the wall. You would use a very simple end cap in your hardware detail, not attacting the eye up that far, also, the endcap is very narrow in width, allowing more stacking space closer to the wall.

In your family room, you could do single panel on the square top slider unit, having the panel rest on the left side. Then you could do romans in both of the windows that flank the fireplace. Or other option is to do single panels on the two windows that flank the fireplace. Just not sure I like the left side of the room with that visual. I think that the fabric would start to get bulky. Love the panel on the slider with the romans flanking the fireplace.

Should you want to explore these details further, we could mock it up!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Inside Out ... Thx for responding. I do have a PB within 5 miles so I will def check out the silk panels. The picture u attached is just the "feel" I'm aiming for. Thx again.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Monique ... Thx for responding. Your ideas sound fab. 100% agree re Romans on sliders and def don't want a bulky fabric-y look. One idea has me stumped since I'm FAR from a designer. Do u have a picture that explains what this means?? ... "You would use a rod with a 2" diameter and hang above the arch" .. I cannot visualize this at all. Do u mean start at the floor and hang panels to 14 ft above, atop the arch? Can u then SEE the arch? The pic isn't that great the arch is on the side of the kitchen that has vaulted ceiling ( as does great room). Low side is where kitchen patio door is. High side is maybe 18 ft. Thx again
  • PRO
    il y a 11 ans
    HI! The rod would hang straight across the window bank, above the arch. It would not follow the vaulted ceiling line. Here is a photo of a square top transom with the rod hanging above it.
    I hope that you can get the idea. The 2" diameter rod it to weight the treatments being that the treatments are hung so high. The fabric in these photos are definitely not the fabrics that would be used for your application, but both of these are on 2" diameter rods.
    Talk soon!
    m.
  • PRO
    CASTLE Design Studio LLC
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi again N, I'm pleased that you like the photo-be sure that you scroll across the photo to see the entire shot. Sale Alert!!! PB has the drapes on sale right now via the internet or catalog! Check out the grommets for easy glide to open and close plus a mod look. On PB's website search "dupioni silk grommet drape". Note that the rods and hardware could always come from a big box home store to save even more $ (be sure the rods are smooth-no bumpy texture). Buy long enough drape panels to place the rods 8" +- above the entire windows/doors in the living room and the drapery panels could be across the line immediately below the arch or above the arch-- MJ's idea is uber cool and is done when the super mod/glam look is perfect or when the arch needs to be covered when the windows are covered. Great options for you, have fun!
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    InsideOut ... Thx! The pic with the gold drapes is awesome!! I checked out PB online options. Prices are great ($119.00 – $189.00 SPECIAL $101.00 – $160.00). I liked the gray and also the gold. Gonna stop by physical store today to see if they have samples. Now I have to search for a roman shade with a look similar to the softness and sheen of the drape. The ones online at PB are way to heavy and cotton-y. But I'll ask at the store. I so appreciate everyone on this discussion.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Monique ... Thx so much for the pictures to help explain the concept. I love those gold drapes and am off now on my quest to find similar look in maybe a steel gray.
  • PRO
    KHI Designs
    il y a 11 ans
    Monique has nailed it!! There are so many hard surfaces in a kitchen. The softness of a drapery would really complement the entire look. This is a beautiful space. You need to be comfortable in it all hours of day and night. I would select a warmer color other than the grey. Maybe even a subtle pattern. You can also purchase wands that help you pull the drapery across to close and open. The kind many hotels feature with their layered drapery installations. This eliminates the need for a traverse rod and the "pulling" cords. Great job Monique!!!
  • PRO
    sam kamber
    il y a 11 ans
    A great option which will offer you a "custom decorative" look as well as privacy and UV protection for your wood floors and cabinets is a Designer Window Overlay from Samuel K Designer Windows - www.samuelk.com . You can select from their gallery, customize your design with their Window Designer or request a custom design to be created. The price is amaizingly affordable and really easy to apply.

Sam
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    KHI ... Thx for responding and your thumbs up. I'm a design novice but hgtv junkie!! They make it look so EZ but once I tear a room apart, mega-indecision starts. I def like your wand suggestion. Hate hardware and cord clutter. I agree gray is a bit icy, so open to other colors. Not sure re patterns. Appreciated!
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thx Sam. Your overlays are very nice but MOST of the time, we wanna be able to see out (great view) and receive light (long Midwest winters). Only occasional need for privacy. I will keep these in mind for other areas!!
  • selawela
    il y a 11 ans
    Cool suggestions...I hope you post a picture of what you pick! Good luck! Oh, and yes, I think your home is lovely!
  • nan1
    il y a 11 ans
    nmassey mentioned window film - does any one have experience with using this. I'm concerned it might look cheap,
  • PRO
    sam kamber
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi nan1,
    Read the extract from from the front page of the website - this product has been applied in home that are in the multi-million bracket. - and look the part! - please visit the website, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Custom Designer Windows that Look and Feel like Stained Glass

Samuel K Designer Windows provides homeowners with timeless, classic designs for any traditional or contemporary home. Compared to costly stained or leaded glass windows, a Samuel K Designer Window makes breathtaking views possible for your home and budget. Our Designer Windows are a multi-layered laminated overlay that is hand assembled. We’ve revolutionized the window industry and are committed to providing our customers with innovative, original designs that highlight the beauty of their individual homes.

Sam
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Selawela ... Yes, the folks here have given terrific suggestions. may take a while but I will def post finished pics. Thx for the kind words!!
  • Guerrina
    il y a 11 ans
    For windows, have you considered lined bamboo roman shades? Unlined are great for day, but are see through from the outside at night only giving illusion of privacy.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Noankwaters ... Thx! Roman shades yes. That seems to be consensus from the great folks here for my windows, with drapes for patio doors. I think that's my decision now.
  • Cathleen Vought
    il y a 11 ans
    I agree on the roman shades idea.
  • PRO
    il y a 11 ans
    I am very familiar with window tinting and I would stick to 3M products. The problem is, they diminish your exterior view and do not provide privacy at night time. They are usually for SUV protection during the day, protecting your furniture and flooring. Hope this makes sense! When done correctly, along with choosing the correct color it can provide for beautiful views. Also, choosing the correct color tint is extremely important. You want a large enough piece as a sample that you can hang in your window and examine the tint that it casts into the room. Some will darken, some will cast in peach undertones. If you have any hesitation in what you are being shown, voice them.
    Cheers!
    m.
  • Tricia Jones
    il y a 11 ans
    I would go with Roman shades in a wild geometric pattern in a bold accent color. Then buy some or make some accent pillows for the couch and dining room. I love the look of the pleated window coverings, but my mother bought them and they have bugs stuck in the inside of some of the pleats now.
  • PRO
    CASTLE Design Studio LLC
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi N, way back 26 hours ago when I threw in the mix drapery panels, I must admit that I pictured them on all windows and doors. Especially when I look at your living/dining area, I could see a wall of drapes at nighttime perfectly matching your style which I call "Traditional in a Mod World". Of course we all have personal preferences and it is just mine to have the drapes matching instead of drapes and roman shades adjacent. I hope nobody minds my expressing this different view. Thanks!
  • workhorse
    il y a 11 ans
    I notice a lot of comments leaning toward Roman shades.... perhaps you've already decided. Just in case.... I think it really depends upon the statement you want to make, what style you want. You mentioned no fru-fru... I also notice that you have the wire rack for wine, etc. next to the sliding doors. That has a pretty busy look in terms of texture to the eye. Maybe I missed comments about this already, but.... If you are partial to the European/French country look that the wire rack seems to state, then maybe the thing to do is to look at how window treatments are done along the French country modern style. Often times when dark warm wood colors are used as you have (as distinct from when a light wood tone is chosen), the weight of the warm wood is balanced with flowing drapes with warm textured fabrics with small or no pattern, whether light or dark colors. I've also seen rich dark fabrics like velvet done beautifully, if you'd like to continue the dark tones. Very simple, can be done in clean lines. That style of elegance comes from the juxtaposition of clean lines with warm fabrics. You have several clean lines in your kitchen, along with the dark wood, with the accent of the country french wire rack. I would look into window treatment examples for similarly styled rooms. I feel the Roman shade option would continue the bolder lines, no matter what pattern you chose for the fabric or material because they are physically flat. If that is the look you would like, then you're all set. If you want a warmth to the look at night, then maybe warm textured/non-patterend fabric that can be pushed aside during the day might be an option, while keeping it on the simple elegance side. I also a lot of takes on sheers done in that region (partnered with drapes). Just a thought... In any case, while looking at the pragmatics when deciding a window treatment, I would keep in mind whatever overall style, statement about style you want your room to make, whatever budget you have. I don't have images to attach, but if you look up french country and then the modern take on that, I think you might find some suggestions. If you are planning to not use the wire rack, then never mind! :-)
  • lkswds
    il y a 11 ans
    Have you checked out Huper Optik Nano Ceramic Window Films? I know the product is available in the Detroit area. I have seen it in Florida and it is GREAT. Probably expensive!
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Workhorse. ... Thx. I actually adore velvet though concerned about its use in a kitchen (grandkids and puppies). U were first to notice the rack. It's left over from another time, as is glass topped table with matching (to the rack) metal bottom. Two expensive mistakes I'd prefer to sell on consignment to a good home, along with a grandfather clock. You know, the stuff u saved for and paid tons for but years later are wondering whatever u could've been thinking :-)
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Ikswds ... Thx much! Window Film has been discussed earlier but for reasons like lack of ease in applying it, blocking the view, no real privacy at night, etc .... Has been decided against.
  • annieinkc
    il y a 11 ans
    Shatterguard. It must be professionally installed, but a sepia (golden) would look great. (Search "Hong Kong apt with 24 rooms on You Tube to see the effect of sepia windows.) They have window films you cannot see in at night. All the mansions use it. You really need SECURITY. Sliding doors can simply be lifted off -- they're the worst. Or you can get 4-doors with half-door inserted windows that go opaque when you want it to. Security alarms do not stop intruders. Shatterguard will. Deadbolts can be bumped. I think my safety would be worth the price, especially if I had grandkids and puppies in the home. You can't put a price on safety.
  • annieinkc
    il y a 11 ans
    Shatterguard. It must be professionally installed, but a sepia (golden) would look great. (Search "Hong Kong apt with 24 rooms on You Tube to see the effect of sepia windows.) They have window films you cannot see in at night. All the mansions use it. You really need SECURITY. Sliding doors can simply be lifted off -- they're the worst. Or you can get 4-doors with half-door inserted windows that go opaque when you want it to. Security alarms do not stop intruders. Shatterguard will. Deadbolts can be bumped. I think my safety would be worth the price, especially if I had grandkids and puppies in the home. You can't put a price on safety.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Annienkc ... Thx! I viewed video. Amazing what one can do with 300 sf in Hong Kong. While i agree safety is key ... Price vs safety isn't the issue .. WINDOW FILM simply isn't for me. But thanks!
  • Melanie Marinucci
    il y a 11 ans
    I hate any type of window treatment on sliding doors because they always seem to get in the way... until I found the perfect solution. Doors with blinds already in the window! It would mean changing out your door but would keep the clean lines and still give you privacy when you need them. I bought mine from Lowe's. I couldn't be happier. The only downfall is that the door won't slide completely open as there is the mechanism for the blind that will stop it from opening completely. Go check it out at the store and see if you can live with that.
  • lkwess
    il y a 11 ans
    Attach a tiny accordion blind to the horizontal crosspiece above the window you want to sometimes cover. Let it down or pull it up completely out of the way whenever you need. I love the unobstructed view! Every window and door does not need yards of fabric enshrouding it.
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    One tier ... Thx so much! Have seen doors with embedded blinds as I agree seems so low maintenance. But .... Issues for me were replacing doors now, what happens when they aren't working is it an EZ fix, and finally ... Having to live with them long beyond wanting/liking them because of $ spent :-)
  • nomusamagic
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Ikwess ... Thx. Now there's a REALLY affordable option that can be accomplished immediately :-) I want a bit more "style" but can see me going this way because decisions, decisions, decisions ...
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 11 ans
    I'd say honeycomb shades not only offer privacy, but also stack compactly so they don't cover up your window when not being used. We offer horizontal types, but Comfortex has ones that slide right to left or meet in the middle for sliding glass doors. You can check out our offerings at: http://cellularwindowshades.com/smoothycontcord.html Check out the side to side "Ovations" at Comfortex's site: http://www.comfortex.com/cellular/Ovation.php
  • tmarinah
    il y a 11 ans
    Well, there are so many suggestions from everyone and I am sure they all work depends on what look you want. If window covers are not practical, and only privacy is important, I was told by an engineer to use light curtains - basically light fittings placed above and near the window/door. When the lights are on, it is difficult to look through it into the house. Its worth thinking about!
  • kaspytek
    il y a 11 ans
    parents did a large floor to ceiling drapery to cover 16 ft x 24 ft of glass windows. looks terrific. you can have it insulated back if in a cold area. to keep costs down, regular pull to open window or can do electronic pull. it pulls to one corner and is great at night instead of seeing blackness everywhere.
  • orddave
    il y a 11 ans
    We live in Douglas, MI. In our great room we used a silhouette blind. Our window is 12'X6'. We used Robin Bauer of Carlton T. Ashbourne. Amazing!!! 312.961.7722. Give him a call. He'd be more than willing to give you ideas or design something. No I don't work with him!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».