Houzz Logo Print
annindc

Advice from users of Nuheat radiant system

annindc
il y a 16 ans

When I went to program my brand-new "Nuheated" bathroom floor, I realized that the contractor did not install the temperature probe in the floor. How big a problem is this? I've got the Nuheat NTG5110 controlling thermostat, which provides several control modes, including one based off of the floor temperature (which I can't use, since the probe wasn't installed), and one based off of ambient temperature. I'm assuming that use of the floor probe provides superior control - but by how much? The GC has rightfully offered to fix the situation, but I have had so many other problems (that were not his fault) and delays, that at this point I just want my bathroom back. However, I don't want to regret this decision later. I've spoken to the manufacturer, but I'd also appreciate hearing from users. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Commentaires (19)

• bill_vincent
    il y a 16 ans

Let him fix it. Without that probe, you might as well have an on/ off switch.

• callieandkarin
    il y a 16 ans

I've got Nuheat in my kitchen floor (great system, great heat, you are going to love it!). As much as I can sympathize with wanting to be done, I think you'll regret not putting in the probe. I always use the floor temp to regulate it, and I think the ambient temp is affected by so many other factors, it would be a tough way to get the control you want. Besides, I think the probe protects the system from overheating and damaging itself. And the last thing you want is a short or other damage in the system down the road. Besides, the stuff is not cheap-- you want your $$$ investment to be perfect and protected!

Keep in mind that once the bathroom is done and your toes are toasty, this will be a minor speedbump in the road. Good luck!

• annindc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 16 ans

Thanks for the reality checks. I'll have him fix it.

I've had it on for the past two days, manually setting the floor temp. As someone who now lives in Virginia and thinks that it's the North (I'm from sunny Miami), I'm loving it!

• mommielady
    il y a 16 ans

annindc,

I am considering heated floors and must make a decision very soon. Reading your and Flyleft's posts today is making me shaky. Are you saying that you have ALREADY had the contractor put in the probe and it's been repaired, or have you been running it manually or by ambient air? ("I've had it on the past 2 days, manually setting the floor temp.")

If he hasn't fixed it yet, I don't think (after reviewing more than one instruction manual) that replacing a probe would be as nightmarish as trying to find a damaged wire. Usually a probe goes in kind of at the front of the job, But what do I know? I'm still riding the fence.

I do agree that you should protect your expensive investment. I sympathize with your having to ask a "nice guy" contractor to fix yet another boo-boo, though.

Anne

• annindc
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 16 ans

My contractor never did install the floor thermometer probe, which (your're right) should have been installed early on when he was laying the heating mat. Now he's got to take up some tiles to set the probe in place, run the wire up the wall to the thermostat, and fix the floor and wall. Not nearly as much of a problem compared to ripping up the whole floor if the mat itself had a damaged wire (which it doesn't).

I used the Manual function to set a specific temperature, and the floor heats up nicely. The problem is that I have to use the sensing mode in which the thermostat senses the ambient air temperature, not the floor itself, to control the floor temperature. Not every thermostat does this, but my model does. I noticed that the floor temp does fluctuate a bit irregularly, depending (perhaps?) on when the house forced-air heat comes on. So it does seem that having a floor probe would provide better control of the floor temp. As Bill said, right now I've got little more than a fancy on-off switch.

Hope this helps. We really do like the warm floor. My little daughters like it too - they keep running in naked to sit on the floor to warm their buns...

• mommielady
    il y a 16 ans

I've got a visual on the little bunwarmers, and I'm smiling. How cute.

I may just have to go ahead and grab the courage to get those warm floors.

• astaw
    il y a 16 ans

I'm from the New Orleans area, and wonder if I should be desiring the radiant heat floors as much as I do. I am in the process of getting quotes, and the installers look at me as though I just grew a third eye. One quote for just the additonal radiant heat (with a Thermotile)mat and installation was $2500 for 70 square feet. I have researched Thermosoft, Warmly yours, etc, and the price of the mats are not that unreasonable. Is Thermotile a new product? Does anyone have advice about the advisablity of using the radiant heat floors in the south. I did not intend to use it to warm the room, simply to avoid the unpleasant chill of a tile floor. But there does not appear to be much experience in this area down here.Thanks Astaw

• woodinvirginia
    il y a 16 ans

Go with Sun Touch now at Lowe's by special order ,or available at Costco .com (called Premium Underfloor heating by Watts Radiant. ) It is a DIY project to some extent, but electrical must be done by Electrician. Watts Radiant is oldest company in this business, having been around for 130 years.
    ---------
    $2500, that guy must be smokin something.. Why do you need Thermotile in New Orleans? I could see if you said Illinois or Wisconsin.. Thermotile ( full radiant with water not needed in the deep South) go with an electric mat for 70 sq ft.

• mommielady
    il y a 16 ans

One minor correction, guys,

That is PREMIER Underfloor Heating, not PREMIUM, and I was researching their cost the other day when the phone rang. That ended that, but I plan to try again.

I was recently quoted SunTouch from Warm Your Floor and it came in at almost twice as much as Thermasoft, which has gotten a couple of bad reviews on this forum, lately. (i.e. flyleft and codnuggets). Now I am 'iffy' on whose floor to choose.

Astaw,
    I am from Houston and understand your preference for the radiant floors. I am cold-natured, dislike cold tile and was mesmerized by the hype, "it is like stepping unto a beach of warm sand!" Then some soothing music plays... They had me at 'stepping'.

woodinvirginia,
    Do you know if SunTouch from Lowe's or the Premier from Costco is any better priced than the SunTouch from Warm Your Floor? They are all Watts Radiant, but I don't think Costco (Premier) will draw a floor layout for you the way Warm Your Floor will, once you purchase.

• astaw
    il y a 16 ans

Thank you woodinvirginia andmommielady. Lowe's wasn't very helpful for a first-timer. However I found a "Warmly Yours" supplier in Baton Rouge who is helpful. I'll be faxing the bath floor plans to him. He will need to know the thermostat location before the final order.He also recommends contacting the Warmly Yours rep before installation. He states that they can walk you through it. We will need an electrician for the hook-up, but that the actual laying down of the mat should not take over an hour or so. (Warmly Yours will provide a direct layout of how the mat is to placed). He then recommended using the 2-step method of applying thinset over the mat, and returning the next day to lay the tile. Does this sound correct?

• PRO
    Artspiring
    il y a 8 ans

NUHeatTHERMOSTAT PROBLEMS - A certified electrician installed 2 NuHeat mats in a master bathroom. They both worked when tested initially, then when the tile installer laid the tile he tested it. It worked for a day and then the Thermostat went out. We got another thermostat and it worked for about a week and then then one day it reached over 100 degrees. Now one of the mats will not work. We called NuHeat and they said the thermostat should have not allowed it to go that high without tripping a breaker. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone had this problem before?

• PRO
    WarmlyYours Radiant Heating
    il y a 8 ans

@Artspiring,

If you are having an issue with your floor heating system, the first step towards a solution is to take Ohms readings of each heating mat. Do this with a digital multi-meter that has the capability of reading on a 0-200 Ohms scale. All mats have a specific Ohms value depending on length. The core to core reading should give you set Ohms values. The core to ground sheath readings should give you a reading of 0 or infinity depending on the meter. If these are not the readings that you receive, then there is most likely a problem within the mat or mats themselves such as a break or short in the wires, and we will be able to provide additional troubleshooting support after the Ohms reading has been taken.

There are few possibilities why thermostat may fail that quickly. It can be related to the overheating of the unit, due to the incorrect size of the electrical box or incorrect wiring, another option is that this unit was overloaded (usually floor heating thermostats are limited to maximum 15 Amps).

If you need additional assistance, you can reach our technical support 24/7 by dialing 1-800-875-5285 and choosing option one.

• alishabild
    il y a 6 ans

I have a NuHeat question: My thermostat recently died, (but the electricity to it is fine). Is it ok to use a different brand, ex honeywell, thermostat with nuheat floor heating? Thanks!

• thatsmuchbetter
    il y a 6 ans

rule #2 with radiant heat Always install a backup thermostat .

are you over a crete slab or unheated space in a cold climate zone??

• thatsmuchbetter
    il y a 6 ans

i have a different #1

• badgergal
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Alishabild, when our NuHeat thermostat was just over 5 years old it went out. I contacted the manufacturer's customer service and they sent a new thermostat at no charge. It arrived within a week and was very easy to replace.

When the thermostat stopped working I had envisioned it as being an unfixable problem (sensor or something else beneath the tile) and knew I would be really annoyed every time I stepped on cold tile. I was pleasantly surprised that a new thermostat was all that was needed. I was even more impressed that NuHeat customer service was so great.

Hope you great the problem solved.

• cat_mom
    il y a 6 ans

We had to replace the original NuHeat thermostats in both bathrooms. When the first one went, it might have been under warranty, or close enough, so NuHeat sent us a brand new one, same model. By the time the thermostat in the other bathroom went (sometime in the past year) NuHeat had discontinued the Solo, which was the model we had, so the rep told me to get the Home thermostat to replace it (similar features). She also told places near us that might have it in stock or could order it for us, so we bought it and DH replaced our non-functioning thermostat with the new one. The rep did say that they have a ______ year lifespan, so we purchased a second Home thermostat to have on hand.

• geoffrey_b
    il y a 6 ans

What ever floor system you have. With the old thermostat removed, use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the in-floor sensor. When buying a new thermostat - make sure that it's sensor's ohm reading is close to your old one.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».