Houzz Logo Print
geoffnbrenda

Need ideas for my empty wall above fireplace/tv

geoffnbrenda
il y a 11 ans
We have a 20 ft. wall that should have had brick up it, but we didn't want to spend the money when we built the house. We ended up using tile around fireplace. What can I do without spending a ton to decorate this wall so it has appeal? It is a main focal point in our living room. Help!

Commentaires (7)

• charleee
    il y a 11 ans
    Your built-ins on either side of the fireplace look seriously undersized, almost like doll furniture. I think all you need to do is make them a lot larger than what they are now and you'll be fine. They need to be at least of equal height to the tv/fireplace. This may mean moving everything to the left to avoid hitting the stair landing.
  • geoffnbrenda
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    I am not going to rip the wall apart, bedroom other side, too much. Want ideas on how to add style to wall, such as art, framing etc....
  • feeny
    il y a 11 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 ans
    I'd be tempted to hang a large beautiful tapestry, antique Persian or tribal rug, or hand-made quilt horizontally in that upper space.
    BTW: I'm not sure the placement of the TV over the fireplace, in these circumstances, is doing you any favors. It ends up making the above-mantel arrangement look squat and crowded, whereas a work of art, hung a bit higher above the mantel (beginning, say, at the top line of your built in cabinets), would be in a better proportion. Even placing the TV a bit higher would accomplish this, though it isn't ideal for viewing. Or, if you put the TV elsewhere, you could hang a beautiful rug or tapestry vertically in that space.
    Scenic Drive Project · Plus d'infos
  • PRO
    Summer Classics Columbus
    il y a 9 ans
    I would add more architectural detailing on that wall, it just looks like it wasn't completed. The bookcases are at the height you need them, it is just needs additional detailing above the fire place that would blend into the bookcases. Remove the paint color from around the fireplace as well, it chops it up too much. Can the TV go somewhere else? Would help a great deal.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    il y a 9 ans
    Love the idea of a tapestry or Persian rug. Another possibly less expensive idea would be to hang a large mirror horizontally over the fireplace, extending from the last third of the way across the bookshelf on the left, to one third of the way across the book shelf on the right would tie all the elements together. Even if the mirror was hung just over the mantel, one's eye would go to it and not the bookshelves. (The TV would of course need to be repositioned either way.)
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    il y a 9 ans
    Hello geoffnbrenda
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money, maybe just painting can give your wall a bit of a pop. Your wall can be an accent wall, you can paint that wall a different color or apply a pattern with color you already have. Like the following examples.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».