Houzz Logo Print
petalnack

Stuck for ideas with my garden

Peter Butler
il y a 9 ans
When I moved into my first home the garden looked like the first image then after clearing it out and removing various things and tidying around it looks a bit better see the second image... but now I'm a little stuck for ideas of what to do with it.

I would like to add more lawn and maybe replace the fence at the back. But its more towards the back of the garden that needs filling up. The garden is bigger than it looks due to the size of the bushes at the side.

I have a patio at the front of the garden so don't need anywhere to sit. The type of garden I want is evergreen, low maintenance plants etc.

Thanks Peter (UK)

Commentaires (18)

• teenytinyhouse
    il y a 9 ans
    Are the paths dirt paths? If yes, you can just break them up a bit, whack some topsoil on and seed them with grass seed. In about 6 weeks you'll have a luxuriant lawn. It's a bit of a hard graft, but it can all be done with DIY and the 6 weeks will fly by before you know it! There are several tutorials online, including Youtube.

I'd purchase a nice shed with a decorative porch, paint it a nice cheerful colour and pop it in the back. Somewhere pretty to store your mower etc, and you can use the porch to grow tomatoes and potted plants away from your main seating patio maybe one of those small vertical greenhouses?

It looks from the photo like that end of the garden catches the light at one part of the day, you could have one seat/bench in that corner to catch those rays!

The advice I received on cutting back very big hedges was to tackle width first, then height the following year, then you won't kill the shrub. Invest in a hedge trimmer and telescopic shears and maintenance will be a doddle.

Send us an after pic? :)
    Peter Butler a remercié teenytinyhouse
  • embzop
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    How about putting some good quality trellis on the back fence and growing some clematis on them?
    [houzz=
    New dining room designed by DHV Architects · Plus d'infos
    ]
    Peter Butler a remercié embzop
  • minnie101
    il y a 9 ans
    What a difference you've made! I'm not a gardener in any shape or form but I'd add 3 cypress to the left of the tree where you get the sun just to add a different shape to the garden. I'd plant rhododendron bushes to the right of the tree. Extend the lawn to the back and up to the patio. I'd also add lavender in both beds in front of the patio to add some scent. Finally a chaise longue or similar may look nice in front of the tree on the lawn? The one pictured is from Amazon
    Peter Butler a remercié minnie101
  • Peter Butler
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you for all your comments... Some great ideas... Ive planted some quickthorn at the back where the fence is, so i hope it will grow to cover the fence eventually... But i like the idea of the trellis too... The sun actually shines on the fence in the morning (when i took the picture) but moves right round in the evening onto the patio.

Ill keep you all posted as I'm due to start work on it within the coming weeks.
  • Peter Butler
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I like this idea for the back too... Anyone know what plants these are?
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    The white flowered shrubs are Hydrangeas, possibly Hydrangea 'Annabelle', hard to tell what the groundcover plants are as the photo is too small.
    Peter Butler a remercié pannacotta
  • credz4
    il y a 9 ans
    I'm hazarding a guess at Hardy Geraniums which I have loads of and are a godsend for ground cover and last all year through. Cut down after first flowering and they will reward with a second flowering.
    Peter Butler a remercié credz4
  • luckey85
    il y a 9 ans
    My guess for the white flowered shrubs is also hydrangeas. We have a variety that is called Limelight that looks similar. These plants go dormant during the winter, need to be pruned back each year....absolutely spectacular in bloom. Hold the blooms well into fall.
    Peter Butler a remercié luckey85
  • Amber
    il y a 9 ans
    You have done a great job so far just pruning and shaping makes such a difference. You definitely need colour at the back to add interest be it a shed or planting. Some colourful plants in tubs would also be nice for the patio area. What about a wildlife pond where the round bit of soil is again with planting, it could look stunning and would add so much. Good luck, and look forward to seeing the results of your hard work.
    Peter Butler a remercié Amber
  • credz4
    il y a 9 ans
    Having had a few days to consider this, I think I would take up the lawn and continue your patio area in a sort of diagonal zig zag path shape all the way to the bottom, bringing in more plants at the side, include an almost hidden seating area with maybe a traditional statue/birdbath and carefully placed lighting and finish it at the bottom with one of those hobbit houses sheds, make it a 'fairytale' wow garden. I can't find any pictures of what I mean as its all in my head. Then you can come and do mine!
    Peter Butler a remercié credz4
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    I would stain the fence black. It is a much better foil for greenery than reddish brown and looks very sophisticated.
    What you do with the garden as a whole depends on what you want from the space and how much time you ware willing to dedicate to it....
    Peter Butler a remercié pannacotta
  • Peter Butler a remercié pannacotta
  • Peter Butler
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks Pannacotta... black fences does actually look very good.
  • credz4
    il y a 9 ans
    I like this one! In fact I would live in this one. Ok I can dream.
  • PRO
    Bouquet Gardens (UK)
    il y a 9 ans
    Nice mock up pic of the garden but, the slab steps through the lawn, detract from the varying green shades you have (or could have).
    The summer house is a nice and smart addition. Although, you may feel some are costly, you should view them the same way you would a property extension as, you can potentially, create extra space (or another room) with summer houses which is a positive.
    In terms of plants for low maintenance, evergreens will always be an option but, don't dismiss flowering plants as, a garden can be your sanctuary, your private, peaceful, place and as, we at Bouquet Gardens believe, your asset for good health. Pops of colour during the flowering seasons could, help change your mood, inspire you or de-stress you throughout the year.
    Peter Butler a remercié Bouquet Gardens (UK)
  • Peter Butler
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks for the advise Bouquet. Lots of stuff to consider.
  • steve3122
    il y a 7 ans

Have a look at elementi fires

a large range of gas fire pits to suit all types of gerdens

cosy and sociable

Peter Butler a remercié steve3122
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».