Houzz Logo Print
ehobson121

Help for my tiny garden

Elaine Hobson
il y a 9 ans
I have a small town garden and whilst the upper two thirds are decking and the two flower beds which will be fine (honestly) in the spring I've lost my way with the bottom third of the garden where I have just bought a new shed. The bin store to the left needs to be retained somewhere so that I can hide the three bins but any ideas about what to do? I have two dogs who use the area as an occasional loo so grass won't do.

Commentaires (26)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    il y a 9 ans
    Reduce number of small pots, or store them. Could you introduce some height with mature trees?

You don't mention your budget.

Does this area get sun at end of day? A bench might be nice.

Is it a potential dining area?
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    I should have said the garden is in disarray and the pots are there for convenience not design! The garden gets sun until about four o'clock as it faces directly south west. The building to the right shades it from that time. I can spend up to £500 mainly on hard landscaping. I think I will turn the shed around so that the doors face the house but could still put a bench against the window side for Al fresco breakfasts.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    Think first about the function. What do you want to use the space for? Eating/gardening/sunbathing/dog toilet?!
    Painting the shed black will help it recede. Some greenery around the boundaries would make it look much softer and more welcoming, are there any areas you can plant into?
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Gardening and toileting (a reality with urban dogs) mainly. However the reglular use of disinfectant means that planting into the soil isn't likely to work hence the pots. I was going to paint the shed green as in the fence colour with a contrasting door. I really need to lift all of the slabs and get the shed turned around. The slabs are badly laid and I'd quite like the breadth of the shed facing the house. That means it can't sit against the right side fence or the window won't be of any use.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    WHat aspect is the garden? Does the shed need to be kept there? Do check that the shed isn't occupying the sunniest spot...
    If you cant plant into the ground then perhaps consider raised beds where you find it easier to grow climbers etc as they have a deep root run.
    Have you looked on Pinterest for ideas for small courtyard gardens?
    This is a lovely website for inspiration she manages to fit a lot of planting into a small garden.
  • henrystamp
    il y a 9 ans
    Just a thought...
    It seems that the area to the left of the shed is really just moving through space (access to shed door, bins and back gate) so you cannot do much with it. Also both it and the shed don't give a good focal point to the small garden while also making it seem shorter.
    How about moving the shed to where the bin store and 'junk' at the end of the left planter is? Yes it will need to be turned though 180 degrees to get to the door.
    It could then be a screen for bin/s put behind it: both bins and shed could be as close to the back fence as possible with just enough space to open the gate.
    Then perhaps a patio (acting also as doggy loo) where your shed and table currently are. With shrubs/plants around the edges, including around the base of your small tree, which would also hide the back and right side fences. That patio could contain your stone bird-bath and outdoor table shown in your picture.
    This could be your long view focal point, and might make views from inside your house better, as well as from the decking.
    Hope this might help.
    H
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree that the shed would be better on the other side, used to screen the bins and storage area, leaving the other side of the garden to be the long/pretty view. There is quite a lot of space to the left of the shed as it is now and this could be used for planters and seating.
    There was a good piece on small gardens in Gardeners World last week which you might find useful.
    I'd try and get some evergreen planting going to add some interest through the winter months.
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you both. I'd never thought of moving the location over to the left mainly because Of the other garden sheds in my neighbours gardens but I can see the benefit of the longer view from my french windows. It's true the garden is dull in the winter.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    I meant to add this website to my earlier post
    http://www.turning-earth.co.uk/
  • PRO
    Shelley Hugh-Jones Garden Design
    il y a 9 ans
    I agree, painting the shed black is a good idea and something I do a lot and it will become less prominent and plants look great in front of black - you could do the fences as well. You could either move it to the left or leave as is and plant in front. An evergreen jasmine would work well here. An evergreen shrub and some other planting would also make the view prettier. Either in a bed or amongst the gravel .
    I would add more paving within the gravel if budget allows and this would help cleaning the area after the dogs.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Wherever you put the shed I would incorporate the bin/storage area with it, so that you aren't dedicating the whole width of your garden to practicalities.
    Tucking the bins behind the shed and getting it all into a far corner is your best bet and if you face south west then the left side is the shadier side so I would recommend that, just as henry suggested.
  • tannaz56
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I feel half of the garden is taken over with shed and the bins on the left hand side,
    Firstly do you really need a shed and that big, you can get small shed which will store tools needed for the garden.
    Secondly the bin on the left hand side and other bits do you need them or do you have to store the bin inside the fence.
    stepping stones are good are you might need it when you have to walk on a wet condition.
    As I notice there is a table on the right hand side you could place where the shed is and have it as your entertainment area.
    Both side of the path you could have nice plants planted against the wall and in the ground
    I also notice you already have raised beds, you use it wisely.
    The shape of the garden is nice it just needs tweaking here and there and not much to spend, except for plants.
    Have a look at this I have enclosed the link
    Lincoln Park Garden Path · Plus d'infos
  • PRO
    Bouquet Gardens (UK)
    il y a 9 ans
    As, a totally creative option; why not cover your bin store "fencing" in reflective chrome vinyl (similar to the chrome spheres you see in gardens and garden centres) to incorporate it into the area? I agree painting the shed black and maybe the fence or softening the fence with evergreens will help, too. The chrome bin store fencing will then blend and reflect your plants.
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you for all of your comments and I've been able to incorporate many of them into a design brief for a contractor. I'm going to re-paint the shed and fence black, move the shed 90degrees so that the doors face the house and to the right snug against the fence but leaving space at the back for the bins most of which are static except for fortnightly emptying. The former bin store will go as it gets the most sunshine then becomes a paved or bricked area for a table and chairs to enjoy the sun when it's around. That will open up the space considerably. The existing paving slabs to be removed and used to provide stability under the shed and a path created similar to the Lincoln Park photo. More chippings but maybe the larger slate type and a small retaining wall to stop everything sliding off to the gate on the left. Then some planting to be done at my leisure! What trees shrubs would people recommend for the fence line? It gets sun until lunchtime, please don't say bamboo I've just dug one out due to its predatory nature! I wondered about a climbing hydrangea.
  • PRO
    il y a 9 ans
    Sounds good but if you leave the shed as is, you can plant shrubs and climbers directly in front of it to help disguise it from the house whereas if the door faces the house you will have to leave a reasonable area before planting but that is still possible. Try trachleospermum jasminoides as an ever green climber with scent. Evergreen shrubs to hide fence: Pittosporum tennuifolium or Photinia 'Red Robin' .
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Good point and thank you for the plant recommendations. I know Photinia likes the ground here as there are several around our estate.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    Sounds good. Pittosporum is very good for screening as the leaves are small and it grows fast but isn't too dense. Pileostegia is a good evergreen climber which is self clinging but it is a bit slow to get going.
    I would add some deciduous plants too for interest, Amelanchier is lovely, as is the winter flowering cherry which is slow growing and lovely in the cold months.
    Have a look at the link I posted for some planting ideas.
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Thank you so much. I can't find the link for the planting suggestions:-/
  • tannaz56
    il y a 9 ans
    I would cover the fences with the climbers, as it brings life to the fence rather than a sore for the eyes, which will add greenery to the garden e.g. ivy, climbing Hydrangea, etc.
  • Elaine Hobson
    il y a 9 ans
    Shed is black now and looks much better. I am deliberating on whether to paint the doors black or another colour. The planters or stands are clay and lavender, the inside of the shed is silver birch but looks grey mauve in daylight. I've started to paint the fence black too and quite like the "aged" look of the green coming through. I'm waiting for a quote on the hard landscaping and wish he'd hurry as I can only start the planting once it's agreed.
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    Looking good. I'd paint the shed door black too. COuld you plant some bamboo or something tall and airy in the right hand corner, to soften the hard edges?
  • pannacotta
    il y a 9 ans
    btw I think the shed looks good placed as it is with the doors facing the side, seems less obtrusive somehow.
  • PRO
    il y a 9 ans
    Looks good- keep shed doors the same as shed. Definitely plant in front of shed to soften it. Pittosporum ten. 'Elizabeth' very pretty and evergreen. It has a silver variegation with pink edges to the leaf . Add lower planting with this.
  • louisep2012
    il y a 7 ans

Any updates?

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».