Houzz Logo Print
ambergribble

I need help with updating the front of my house (more curb appeal)

amber gribble
il y a 11 ans
Just looking to update the curb appeal of my house, any ideas would be helpful.

We are painting the house this spring: Grey with white trim..........

Thanks for your help!

Commentaires (47)

• AMN
    il y a 11 ans
    There are many things you can do, but the first one that comes to mind is to go even darker on the garage doors than they currently are. So, when you change to gray, go with a charcoal on them. I adjust them in the attached photo. It's subtle, but I think it enhances the look.
    amber gribble a remercié AMN
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 11 ans
    Again I say I love your house. Gray and white will look great. Use a bold color on the front door like a red. The garage dorrs should be done in a darker gray than the rest of the house.
    amber gribble a remercié User
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 11 ans
    The hedges are def an issue and need removal. I would replace the iron railing with something that replicates the deck to pull that style across the front of the house.
    amber gribble a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • Dar Eckert
    il y a 10 ans
    Nice house! Not sure if the walkway is wet or stained. Try power washing it. Maybe add some crushed rock or add some paving stones along side to make it a little wider and more inviting.
    amber gribble a remercié Dar Eckert
  • Roni Filla
    il y a 10 ans
    Those tall hedges are covering up so much of your house and that makes the balance off at least to me. Your choice of colors may brighten up the house as well. I agree with someone else that a Soft Red or Brick color on the door would be more inviting.
    amber gribble a remercié Roni Filla
  • ASN ASN
    il y a 10 ans
    I would place a new modern dark wooden deck /patio in front of the door , get rid of the metal railing (would use the same railing material for the terrace and entrance , maybe white colored wood or even pure glass )
    The entrance-door deserves a bold color ( red, yellow or orange ), your choice of the exterior color is great by the way ( gray and white)
    If you want to keep the hedges you may put some rocks stones in front of them, plant some nice colored flowers ( I just attached pictures to give an idea)
    Maybe your garden should get a japanese-garden look, put some pebble stones, plant suitable flowers ..
    Anyway good luck
    amber gribble a remercié ASN ASN
  • Daren Merchant
    il y a 10 ans
    How about opening up the entry to more light and cleaner modern lines? There are just a reference but might help you visualize.
    amber gribble a remercié Daren Merchant
  • Dar Eckert
    il y a 10 ans
    Another option would be to replace the horizontal siding above the garage with stained wood horizontal siding matching the deck railings. Paint out the garage doors so they are the same color as the siding. Definitely get rid of the overgrown shrubbery.
    amber gribble a remercié Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    A Yard You'll Love, Inc
    il y a 10 ans
    Beautiful home! I agree that you should yank out the hedges. Use the sloping nature of your front yard to create a set of steps with generous size (no less than 6 by 6') landings leading up to your front door. Resist the urge to add curves to your front yard. It's totally rectilinear. Your front porch needs the most work. It's too small and insignificant for the house.
    Once the hedges are out, see how you feel about the visual balance of your home. Do you find yourself looking at it with your head tilted? If you do, I think you might want to consider matching the siding over the garage with the house.
    amber gribble a remercié A Yard You'll Love, Inc
  • PRO
    A Yard You'll Love, Inc
    il y a 10 ans
    Oh, and lose that retaining wall garden out front. It's a maintenance problem, and those blocks have always been beyond tacky in a residential setting. They're OK in commercial applications, but YIKES in a yard.
    amber gribble a remercié A Yard You'll Love, Inc
  • PRO
    garden design online
    il y a 10 ans
    Some my design,hope you like.
    amber gribble a remercié garden design online
  • victorianbungalowranch
    il y a 10 ans
    I don't think the retaining wall is tacky, but it could be integrated more into the landscape by use some vines or cascading planting to soften it up a bit and more and taller planting on top, and something besides mulch on the sides.

Highlighting the exposed rafter tails in the gable would be a nice accent. I agree that the garage doors should be darker, and maybe the whole lower level, to ground the house, and thin or remove the heavy bushes. Thinning takes patience and time to hand prune from the middle of the plant to open it up--don't just wack it all off at once.
    amber gribble a remercié victorianbungalowranch
  • PRO
    Suloma Kitchen & Bath
    il y a 10 ans
    Given that the original post was January 2013, would love to see the final product. How about posting pictures of the end result?
    amber gribble a remercié Suloma Kitchen & Bath
  • jeff_the_chef
    il y a 10 ans
    The things that strike me first off are: The tree has to go. I LOVE trees and hate to remove them but that tree is in such an important spot and is doing nothing for the house. I you'd still like to have a tree in that spot, I would suggest a nice 3 trunk white river birch but whatever you get the canopy must be tall so it doesn't obstruct ones view of the door from the street. The shrubs on the left have to go also. The are blocking the light to the windows downstairs and again add nothing. Anything you have there should be allowed to grow no more than HALF that size. Your big money has to go into a beautiful wood front door and matching garage doors. These should be something like Mahogany or Teak, but a high-end possibly custom product. These doors are such a BIG part of the front of your house you need to make them the stars. Finally, you have to do something with the windows above the garage. Lets be honest, they are weird. Having siding just beneath them simply underlines the issues, like a man with a big nose growing a moustache! I'd remove the siding, keep the lower half plain and try to tie the two windows together so they look purposeful. Perhaps with bands of wood in Mahogany like the garage doors or painted espresso or something so the become one stripe. Very last, remove whatever that is that runs up the house between the garage doors, re-route it or do what ever you have to, to place it to the side of the house, the rest is just landscaping and some sexy landscape lighting for nighttime viewing.

Now stop procrastinating and get on with it!

Jeff
    amber gribble a remercié jeff_the_chef
  • JAC Frances
    il y a 10 ans
    One of the first things I noticed was the color of the door. I'd change it to a warm, inviting vibrant color. The second thing I noticed was the plain cement entry pad. I'd change that to some sort of slate, flagstone, or tile.
    amber gribble a remercié JAC Frances
  • oliver101
    il y a 10 ans
    while I agree that the shrubs in front of the lower level windows need to go, I disagree wholeheartedly with Jeff the Chef that the tree needs to be removed. What it needs is a professional trimming, it's been allowed to grow too tall without necessary maintenance pruning. Can't tell what it is but I'm guessing that it may flower in Springtime. It is the only green element that I would leave in the front. The left side needs to balanced with another medium sized tree, maybe a nice upright (not pendulous) Japanese maple, something that would have an open appearance and not like a soldier. Some up lighting under both trees would be fabulous for night time. Behind it closer to the house I would love to see a dark green arborvitae, the largest one you could afford. in front of the lower windows some lower growing evergreens, prostrate yews or if the area is in shade or semi shade and compatible with your zone, hosta would be wonderful. A new railing in wood and some large, bold house numbers on the plain wall above the stairs would be a nice touch and yes, remove/reroute whatever that is currently there...a hose reel? The front door itself needs to be a great bold color, a brick red to match your new Japanese maple maybe? Also add something, maybe a small tree to the planting area near the street. Have fun!
    amber gribble a remercié oliver101
  • daniellaamit
    il y a 10 ans
    I suggest giving the walk way more weight and make your front door more welcoming. I would start by making it wider, more detailed, using beautiful paving materials. The front door could be painted with a strong colour (Yes, even Red), to give it weight against the large window above. The landing and stairs deepened and upgraded. The hedge should be cut back too.
    amber gribble a remercié daniellaamit
  • auntdudy
    il y a 10 ans
    One of the things that I noticed, is that there are so many horizontal and vertical lines because of the different window sizes. I would paint everything one color, including the garage doors. The front door color should be changed with the roof line trim being the same color. I do think that the hedges should be removed or trimmed. Good luck, spring is just around the corner.
    amber gribble a remercié auntdudy
  • aak4
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi Amber, your house is beautiful as it is but a few minor changes can make it look just gorgeous! I would paint the garage doors and the light wood inserts in the front porch the same dark brown color as the entrance door. I would also replace the outdated metal railings with wood railings stained dark brown as well. The foundation plants are hiding your house so I would just get rid of them & replace with much smaller foundation plants and a few colorful perennials. I don't find the retaining wall tacky at all, but a few trailing plants would make it look softer. And the tree in front of the house adds a nice architectural touch to the entrance. I would just trim it to keep it from getting too large. Have fun with your project and let us know how it comes out!
    amber gribble a remercié aak4
  • tedcamesano
    il y a 10 ans
    Must be Portland and those must be Rhodies. They can be pruned after they bloom.
    amber gribble a remercié tedcamesano
  • Tracy Scott
    il y a 10 ans
    The taupe looks good. I would change the accent color to sage green for window trim, garage doors and above windows near garage. Eggplant for the front door....and landscaping which capitalizes on the eggplant colors with touches of yellow.
    amber gribble a remercié Tracy Scott
  • Daren Merchant
    il y a 10 ans
    Would love to see the finished product.
    amber gribble a remercié Daren Merchant
  • PRO
    Trio Landscaping
    il y a 10 ans
    Great split house! We love working with these and found a new entry will be a great assent to your curb appeal and function- bring the walk out past the tree, create a court yard type patio space there and a nice wide set of steps down to the drive. You may want to look at the integrity of the walls while you are at it to make sure they have another 20 years in them so you are not heaving to fix that after you re-do the top side.
    Love the front deck- only make it bigger if you have the need for more space or add'l access to the house to keep the front door a focus.
    and I as for the "keystone" planter in the front- it is a distraction that should be removed. wall materials should match / compliment eachother
    amber gribble a remercié Trio Landscaping
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    il y a 10 ans
    A very cute way to update the curb appeal on a home is to place two Adirondack chairs in the front yard. Here is one at a great price:

http://deciture.com/shop/outdoor/7/acacia-wood-adirondack-chair/

It also comes in gray and white :)
    amber gribble a remercié Warner Decor
  • PRO
    ErthCOVERINGS
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    the windows are fantastic! Update your curb appeal by adding stone! ErthCOVERINGS stone veneers are easily installed and can make a big impact on the overall look of the exterior of your home. www.erthcoverings.com
    amber gribble a remercié ErthCOVERINGS
  • amber gribble
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you everyone for all your tips/ advice! Love reading all them! And things have changed since I last put this post up last year!!! I have painted, removed the shrubs and the flower area out front. I will be putting up new pictures soon to show the progress.... i still want to change some things, but its coming along. I have 2/1/2 year twins with a baby on the way ...so needless to say I'm working in stages on updating the house. Again thank you for all the comments, my husband and i have lived here almost 3 years and have put a lot of heart into making this our home :)
  • aak4
    il y a 10 ans
    Can't wait to see the pictures & congrats on the new baby!!!! May you and your family have many wonderful, happy memories in your new home!!!
  • poeticmoma
    il y a 10 ans
    Looking forward to the updated photos. Once you can stand back and breathe, look at the space above the garage doors and between the windows - you need an architectural detail there.
  • marlso
    il y a 10 ans
    I like what Daren suggested. Go more clean and modern. To me, the rail on the deck suggests this. I would add a modern style wood arbor over garage doors with handsome climbing hydrangea
  • PRO
    Vandenberg Landscape Design LTD
    il y a 10 ans
    Remove the shrubs in front of the deck, build a solid wall other than the boulders by the front door. A segmental concrete block wall would work well. And then move the pathway that is up by the house to a spot in front of the large maple tree. It will make access to the front door more inviting from the driveway. Also make the front door landing a bit larger.
  • ljfq
    il y a 10 ans
    Just curious, what is a "segmental concrete block wall"? Anyone know?
  • Sarah Clemment
    il y a 10 ans
    Get rid of that plastic siding above the garage and get the matching wood panels. That split look is doing nothing for the curb appeal.
  • PRO
    Vandenberg Landscape Design LTD
    il y a 10 ans
    A couple of examples would be Pisa stone and Allan Block.
  • PRO
    Superior Windowland LLC
    il y a 10 ans
    I would update the window over the door to me it screams dated
  • PRO
    AppWood Custom Woodwork
    il y a 10 ans
    Of course we thing entry doors can change the look of a home. I've attached a style that would seem to fit your home and the glass that is already there. The would could be painted any color or stained. All of our doors are custom so we could built to suit your particular style. Good luck, it's a great looking home.
  • dbowmay
    il y a 10 ans
    Would suggest conceal or move the hose out front and expand the area around in front of the entry door at one level.
  • thecottageiroquois
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi Theresa here with some Landscaping Ideas. If you decide to remove the hedge, visually the weight will be on the right side/garage side of the landscape.

I would remove the hedge and the old evergreen shrub leaving the tall shrub on the left but thin it out to give it some air and new growth. I would add some Aspens 4 or 5 of them starting on the left side corner of deck and trickle them down the front yard (zig zag) following the walk way. Creating a open forest feel for privacy and beauty, I would add 3 very large square shaped boulders and next to them some table top grasses in between for soft movement. Using a dark brown mulch and landscape lighting. Wala! Great House have fun!
  • Meg Sullivan
    il y a 10 ans
    I would get rid of the walkway through the front yard and concentrate on a nice new porch and steps. Maybe stone with a new railing. Something a little more modern looking with some hidden lighting.
  • springlering
    il y a 10 ans
    a sunshine yellow door.
  • hayhaspring
    il y a 10 ans
    1. Prune the shrubs or you may replace flowery plants
    2. Put some tree on the side street to put an accent to it
    3. I agree with the additional lightings
    Your house is a beauty so no need to do a lot
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    il y a 10 ans
    First I will say that I love your house. It won't take much to make it feel more updated. I'm not sure about the condition of your paint, but I wouldn't change the colors. They are lovely. Remove the hedges and redo the garden with grasses and low maintenance shrubs etc. Remove the wrought iron handrail and replace it with a wood one to match the wood on the deck. Add similar wood trim around the garage doors. Finally, to hit it out of the park, add a killer wooden front door with a modern look in a darker wood tone. Voila ... Beautiful!
  • RosemaryR
    il y a 9 ans
    Can't wait to see the changes you made and congrats on new baby, you will certainly have your hands full.
  • PRO
    Balber Architecture, Inc.
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    This house has some really nice lines. I think it cascades nicely and plays of the topography quite well. I also think the color scheme is fine as-is. Here is what I would do per my rendering: the front tree needs to be relocated to the far left to create a diagonal…as it stands it is in the center of an asymmetrical building which tends to look like a mistake. The shrubs can stay in front of the balcony just cut them in a clean horizontal as I show. The wrought iron railing needs to be replaced with a similar railing to that of the front balcony. The front landscape retaining wall pavers need to be stuccoed to match the color of the house. The plants in the front planter bed need to all be the same species (too much going on there…I’d pick one as I have shown and stick with it). I would then take this same plant species and repeat it down the railing to the entry as I have shown. This will create a homogenous look and the front landscape bed will speak to the home to make it feel more like an estate. Little tricks like this make the home itself feel larger and more impressive. Good luck! :)
  • 99ways
    il y a 9 ans
    Nice house. Grey and white is a good choice. Front door should be high gloss red.for good chi.
  • PRO
    Nu Hom Design
    il y a 9 ans

Hi!

Your home has SO much potential. It is a blank canvas. I offer very affordable exterior design you can view examples of my work here : http://www.nuhomdesign.com/

I basically gather your ideas and inspiration, and come up with 1, 2, or 3 design directions. I package them up in a look book for you to decide how you want to upgrade your home. Making upgrades to your home can be a big decision, so its always nice to conceptualize and see it first!

Cheers!

Rosemary Williams

nuhomdesign@gmail.com

• PRO
    Schafer Construction, Inc.
    il y a 7 ans

What a great spacious front yard. So many options. I do think the hedges should be pulled and am curious about pulling that tree and replacing it with something that blooms or something to add flow like hanging wisteria or a flowering plum

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».