Houzz Logo Print
brrmmm

Queenslander Exterior Colours help

brrmmm
il y a 9 ans
Here's a pic of my home that we're just about to repaint.

I'm thinking of grey walls/ white trim / black gutters & sills combo in the dulux colours below.

Wondering though how that combo will work with the terracotta driveway.

I'm open to other colours if anybody's got some better ideas.
Cheers.

Commentaires (15)

• karencopland
    il y a 9 ans
    Hi
    Love the house! Your colour combo looks good, but I would back off on the black to a dark grey. Just my thoughts
  • snicker4
    il y a 9 ans
    You need to be very careful with grey as it can look cold. The greys' you have chosen look mid range between cool and warm. They will work together but not so well with the very warm toned terracotta driveway nor the cream roller door. Do you have to do grey? How about a slight shift to grungy purple? There is so much of grey around Brisbane lately, using it will date you paint job as definitely from this era. If you want to sell soon -good but if you want to sell in ten years- not good. Queenlander houses are such fun why not go a bit funky and get into the colour a bit more. Colour is very personal of course and I have to say it would be hard to resist avocado green, indian red and a bit of a grungy sort of purple plus a bit of a wild tropical garden out the front. Life is for living why let grey suck it out of you!
  • brrmmm
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks for your comments snicker4. No, I don't have to do grey, I've looked at soooooo many colours my heads spinning. Finding it hard to decide.
    I'm quite happy to go with bold colours, but then I look at that bold yellow that I decided on 10 years ago (blaming that decision on pregnancy!) and I frighten myself back into grey/white/black or beige/white/black land again.
    We're not selling, here to stay, so the new colours are for us. And yes I'm tired of the beige/white black look. In fact, in my tiny little street, every single house is a variation of those colours.
    "Life is for living why let grey suck it out of you!"............ha ha ha ha love your comment. Maybe that's the kick up the boomba I need to search some more. Cheers !!

So.........help me with some colour choices people. Pleeeeeeeease
  • felicityrous
    il y a 9 ans
    We did our little Queenslander in a colour called Anchovy with Charcoal gutters and white trims. Anchovy is a greeny/brown that really suits this architecture I think (and looks great with black and white striped awnings or even a red front door!)
  • brrmmm
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Absolutely no offence taken with your comments. This is an Aussie forum after all. I can pick someone with a sense of humour and fun.

You're very anti-grey. Tell me what you think of this then. Don't hold back !! Is that gonna suck the life from me every time I drive up to it?

What do you think of the second pic of grey & terracotta colour. Too much orangey/terracotta on the house?

Trust me, I can do something else than grey. ha ha

I'm enjoying your honesty, it's what I need at this stage. My head is spinning, I can't sleep at night.
  • brrmmm
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Do you know what? I looked at this post again and saw that first pic of grey/white/back and just realised how bloody bland it is.

Heeeeeelp !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • snicker4
    il y a 9 ans
    Well- The one on the right is probably looking more like it would go with your driveway. The left scheme is cold and bordering on lifeless basically what I would call impeccably dull and I would make no effort to befriend the occupants who would no doubt be rather tidy tickety boo types with lots of storage and white interiors. The one on the right is better. The grey is what I imagine to be an anchovy sort of colour that another person suggested. You still need to tie in the cream garage door so it will not really work for you. At least it is in the shadow. Your terracotta driveway has brighter orange tones. It is noice but it wouldn't work on your place. You need to find a complimentary colour to work with terracotta. If you get a colour wheel 'complimentary' are the colours placed approx 120 degrees away. So in theory look in the mauve and blue green ranges. Then once you take the impact of garden greenness into account - currently just bright yellow green lawn- Purple is looking good.

Sometimes when trying to get a colour scheme together I look for a piece of floral or patterned fabric and use the colours in that. Oriental rugs are good too. Liberty prints are another good source.

You got me on the grey. I hate it. I do not even consider it a colour. I even hate silver cars for their blandness.
    If you are nearby to Newmarket you can come and borrow my big dulux colur swatch pad to pick colours. The little swatches at the paint shop are too frustrating to use.
    brrmmm a remercié snicker4
  • PRO
    Yarn and Loom Rugs
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    Hi Brmmm....We actually have our Queensland painted in the exact same colour scheme and it looks great! If you like, and you are located in Brisbane - feel free to email me (info@yarnandloomrugs.com.au) and I can share our address with you and you can have a look at our place and decide whether it is for you!
    brrmmm a remercié Yarn and Loom Rugs
  • brrmmm
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks everyone. Time to step up and get some colour.
    OMG, I drive a silver car !! hahaha But in my defence, it was the ONLY colour available, really. I wanted red.

OK, down to business. Our gate is "clotted cream" dulux colour, but our garage door is house colour. So garage door will get painted house colour and we can change the gate too. So no worries there.

I have tried to play around with photoshop with no success, just headaches. Will get my teenagers onto that I think. Have also tried to play around with paint company website thingys, but they're close to useless. This is part of my frustration I think cause I cannot picture my house in any colours.

I am near Newmarket. I dropped into Dulux trade centre for a look in their big bible of colours there. I've also driven around many suburbs but everything is beige/white/black or variations of that.

Oh to be judged on my friendship by the greyness of my house!! OH NO, and my car! I promise I'm not tidy-ticketyboo, and the inside of my house is a riot of many different colours - no white to be seen. hahaha

Back to the drawing board and the colour wheel.

Cheers everyone.
  • nellyreid
    il y a 8 ans

what did you decide in the end?

• PRO
    Jenny Ford Design
    il y a 7 ans

This is a great read!!! Please can I see the outcome!!

• gardentime
    il y a 7 ans
    That second pic looks great. Greys need something like terracotta to warm them up. I love grey with white and black. Very classy. Will look awesome when you put some warm foliage down plants around too. Illawarra flame tree, yellow tabebuias, fruit salad or tricoloured frangipani. It's gonna look great.
  • gardentime
    il y a 7 ans
    Ps, paint the garage door domino with a white trim.....it will look so glam
  • Irene Smith
    il y a 7 ans

When everything thing in painting Queenslanders' was Mustard, Cream & Green we decided on Dulux Blue Gum (Main), Warm White (Pickets), Beige (Posts), Indian Red (Railings) & Kelp (Palings). It worked quite well for the house with bushy location.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».