Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9739567

Kitchen pantry

User
il y a 8 ans
Hi there, need some advice on kitchen pantry. We want to get this place organised. One option would be getting lots of containers etc but we are also considering having some sort of pantry "system" installed, eg with drawers etc. advice greatly appreciated

Commentaires (14)

• PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi Tom,
    These deep pantrys are always a bit tricky.
    It depends on how you use your pantry ie , things like are many people using it, in which case you need a system that works for everyone, if it's just one main cook, or whether there is much cooking done at all.
    The simplest and most cost effective is, as you suggest, a series of baskets/ containers which categorise things according to either use or size.
    If space maximisation is your goal and you categorise by height, you can then put all the tall bottles together and all the really short things together which will create the opportunity to add another shelf or two. There are also shelf stackers from storage shops such as Howards storage which are a wire stand that sits over the top of your goods to create another level of storage.
    You can also sort the containers into meal combos if you're a quick convenient cook eg, all your bolgonese stuff together all your pad Thai together so when you need a quick meal it's ready to go- depends on your style.
    If you want to spend more money, there are pre fab slide out shelves you can buy (storage shops such as Howards have these)for the lower shelves. This will mean you can pack that space tighter and again add extra shelves in because you don't need the clearance height to reach in.
    If you have more money to spend, you can get a cabinetmaker to do a refit as Luke suggested, or go to the full slide out pantry.

Finally, if you're keeping what you have, I think those shelves will sag, so adding more shelves to reduce the load in the few you have, or removing them and adding a central divider might be be necessary at some point.
    Ill attach a photo of my kitchen panty, it is shallow, so doesn't suffer the same problem, but you'll see some of the same principle.
  • PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 8 ans
    My pantry exactly how it is right now, stays organised because there is little room for disorganisation with use of cheap baskets and categorisation and closely packed shelves. I have tall bottles in drawers under cooktop which helps.
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Thanks for the advice. Are u aware of any good companies that do pantry fitouts?
  • PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Tom, sure I have cabinetmakers I work with who are great. If you email me at sally@cleverclosetcompany.com.au or call me on 9679 2848 I can help you.

• thinkoutsidethebox
    il y a 8 ans

Shelving vs a pantry "system" addresses accessing the contents in your pantry. However, the storage containers used to hold your food may or may not maximise the best usage of the space in your pantry. This last aspect deserves careful consideration if you are designing a pantry space.

I moved house a few months ago and am still tweaking my pantry, which consists of shelves (deeper on the bottom half and narrower at the top half). One of the best investments I've made over the years are Tupperware Modular Mates storage containers. The containers can be labelled, contents seen and are stackable. I can stack them to maximise the full height of shelves and sometimes have stacks in front of other stacks for items used less often.

I also have many open plastic containers for food packets, bottled items, very large spice containers, etc. These containers prevent packages, which don't stack easily, from falling everywhere and can be easily pulled out to access the item of interest. I bought some tall containers at Howard's Storage World and some large Sistema containers at Target and Woolworths (during their 1/2 price sales). Sistema containers are stackable, too. Smaller spice containers (stackable Tupperware Modular Mates again) have been placed on a round wooden carousel in one corner of the pantry.

• Carole
    il y a 8 ans

I invested in click clack containers for my pantry to organise all the staples we use. They now sit on narrow shelves just as Luke's photo shows for easy access as I am a baker. Spices are on racks inside the door along with slow cooker mixes and sauce. Less used items and extra staple items are organised into pull out baskets. Heavy items, oils etc are down the bottom. Works well for us and everything has its place. Good luck with getting it organised, then hardest part will be train others to put items back where they belong.

• thinkoutsidethebox
    il y a 8 ans

Click Clack containers are another alternative. It would be wise to consider brands of storage containers that are readily available and/or have been around for some time. It's only natural that containers which are often used may break over time (lids from use or containers when accidentally dropped.) You will probably like to replace those pieces with duplicate products. Tupperware pieces have lifetime guarantees. The only problem with them is that sometimes they change the lid colours. ebay can be a great resource when looking to replace lids in colours no longer available. My MIL had some Ikea containers she loved, but when the lids broke and needed replacement, the product was no longer available for sale. Something to consider.

• PRO
    User
    il y a 8 ans

Pantry Storage Ideas · Plus d'infos

When most people think of making their cabinets more functional, they think of new kitchens. The cost, time & inconvenience can be prohibitive for some but there are affordable options suitable for DIY installation. Furthermore, many of these solutions can be re-used should do decide to renovate at a later date.

www.tansel.com.au

• PRO
    User
    il y a 8 ans

Hi, shelves just about always waste space. Containers are good but then you still have to dig to the back. See this link showing how you maximise space in a pantry:

http://tansel.com.au/BlogHome.aspx?blogId={9484b8aa-ae92-4b4d-9b0b-0ba7efbd000c}

Not sure your location, but if you are in Australia we have an advice service & can work out exactly the solution (based on your internal cabinet dimensions).

• PRO
    Wonderful Kitchens P/L - Est. 1979
    il y a 8 ans

Hi, have some great pantry solutions in an ideasbook on our houzz page which I hope will assist you with your decision, please find one example below of inner drawers and shelving combination.

Kitchen Pantries · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    PaperClip Professional Organisers
    il y a 8 ans

Check out my blog for some tips and ideas. Consolidate, eliminate and then allocatePower up your Pantry

• PRO
    Impress interiors
    il y a 8 ans

I collected sets of jars and bought these black labels on line. using a white pen to write on them. Everyone is so impressed and it is so easy to keep like this. Just refill and recycle all those empty product boxes and bags.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».