Houzz Logo Print
opdos

Replacing Deck with Stamped Concrete - Outdoor Design/Landscaping Help

Opdos
il y a 8 ans

We used to have a beautiful deck and backyard. Between our dogs tramping down the grass, the giant tree that drops stuff all over the deck and the constant deck maintenance, we have decided to do a major backyard makeover. We want to go to a stamped concrete patio with nice landscaping that will be less maintenance as we get older. I have seen beautiful stamped concrete patios, but also have seen them look like a big parking lot which is my biggest fear.

So...we are getting ready to demo just about everything you see in these photos except the house and the picket fence you see that runs parallel with the street which is our property line (where you see the open gate). The other parts of the picket fence will go, the yews that are up near the deck will go, furniture and all the stuff stored on the back patio---gone! We may take out the huge elm tree since it drops stuff constantly on the deck. We can remove the boxwoods, the fountain and the columnar yews behind the fountain or not---or move the fountain elsewhere.

Years ago we picketed off a smaller section of the yard around the deck and patio and put in the fountain, etc, to make a more intimate garden setting. Grass is gone as you can see due to the dogs in this small space. Once we open this back up to the bigger yard, we hope to not have this problem . We will be left just with the L-shaped house and the wood fence that you see that runs parallel to the street and on toward our back property line. This will open up to our larger yard which goes back behind that blue spruce tree.

I would love design ideas on how to design the patio and garden beds

1. We have two big dogs that live inside but are frequently out and end up with dirt paths where they run

2) We don't want a fire pit

1. We use our deck a lot and will want seating for 8 and room for a BBQ grill and a smoker.

4) We love landscaping but low maintenance style---we currently have boxwoods, hydrangeas and a fountain which can remain or be moved.

So pretty much an open canvas with just the L-shaped house and the property line making an open square. How should we design the patio? Curves, garden beds? How do we put lots of interest into it so it doesn't look like a giant concrete parking lot? How can we make the ugly door going into the garage that we never use look better?

First photo standing at the picture window looking out and 2nd picture standing at the fountain and looking back toward the house. Its a panoramic photo so the house looks a bit curved but it is true L-shaped. Thank you!

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 8 ans

I would build the deck all across the back of the house and make it much larger so that it would actually cover out to where the grass does not grow I would make it 2 levels and have the lower level concrete and the upper the decking that is man made and easy to clean. I would not get rid of the big tree as it provides shade as for the dogs make a space with gravel and train them to go there (it is easier than you think) The idea is like this pic but much larger so that the upper is for the BBQ and dining and the lower for seating

• PRO
    Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
    il y a 8 ans

You may want to consider a pavingstone patio instead of stamped concrete. The pavingstones will provide you with a beautiful look, and will be more durable than stamped concrete. Once you've created your patio, you can begin to add outdoor amenities, like an outdoor kitchen. You can accomplish this by first visiting our website and viewing the magnificent photos in our electronic brochure and our gallery. By linking to Cambridge’s Designscape Visualizer you can upload a picture of the front of your home and actually re-design using Cambridge Pavingstones and Wallstones. Visit our website at www.cambridgepavers.com.

• Opdos
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

These are beautiful, however, I wonder how they adjoin. We currently have a brick patio that we are taking out since grass and weeds are constantly coming up between the bricks. This doesn't look like there is space, or maybe it is mortared between? How are they laid?

• PRO
    Marlinski Landscape & Stone Work
    il y a 8 ans

This area used to be a large deck. The animals loved living under it ! Skunks, raccoons, etc. We tore it down and built a raised patio using Cambridge pavers and wall stone. The customer loves it ! Marlinski Landscape & Stone Work

• PRO
    Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
    il y a 8 ans

Valerie, they are laid in sand, never mortar. A
    polymeric sand can be swept into the joints to eliminate weed growth. Remember, the weed growth comes from germination in the joint not from below.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».