Houzz Logo Print
nataliepatton

Drab hallway

Natalie Patton
il y a 8 ans
Hi again I've been going back and forth over what to do with this drab hallway. I'm very minimalist and all my rooms are very neutral but since the hall is the first think you see when you walk in I want it to be warm comfortable and homely without being dark and dingy. Help me out with the flooring please... I secretly love it and my partner hates it with a passion so I want it to stand out is there anything I can do to brighten it? I want the wall decoration to bring out the floor as a feature rather than hide it. Any suggestions would be fantastic thanks all. (Sorry I've posted this twice as the pics wouldn't upload)

Commentaires (13)

• minnie101
    il y a 8 ans

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/tiles/tiles.htm Hi natalie, they look as if they need cleaning and sealing. I've attached this article but Google how to clean victorian tiled floors. Is the porch a different colour? Is that panelling on the wall?:) I think once cleaned you won't need to change the wall colour (maybe some paint in the porch and then mirrors, art or whatever) but I'd try that first and see how they come up

• headers13
    il y a 8 ans

I love these original floors, had one in my last property & I miss it. They are not meant to be shiny but you can get it cleaned up. if you are in London try the Victorian Floor Company. What about adding some panelling to the hall or a dado rail half way up. Pick up one of the tile colours & paint underneath the dado. You could also paint the inner of the front door another shade than white like an off white or a stone colour. Add some pics & a great light. Good luck.

• ali270
    il y a 8 ans
    Love the floor ........mirrors.....mirrors.....mirrors will immediately
    lighten and brighten your hall .
  • Louise Jones
    il y a 8 ans
    I have a dark hallway at the rear of the house with little light, I painted it white and immediately looked shocked at the dull shadows it cast upon itself, I then painted it a chalky blue and I mean chalky, which lifted it immediately it was very forgiving and removed the shadows , Mirrors worked well however had to keep repositioning to catch the best of the light to refract it along the walls . The blue picked up the accent in the tiles knitting it together. Blue might not be for you however White isn't always right for every property. Good luck and don't forget to post the finished results.
  • nohopeinhel
    il y a 8 ans

Please don't change the floor - it's beautiful. A bit of a clean and a reseal would bring it back to its old glory. I would not try to create a white, bright, light feel for the hallway, but would opt for a strong, yet muted colour on the walls - ideally picking out a colour in the tiles (difficult to tell exactly what they are from the pics). I would then add a few high impact accessories - a statement mirror, great light fixtures, some art. I would replace the carpet on the stairs and in the other part of the hall with wooden floorboards and add a stair runner (exposed wooden treads with a central runner - either in a rustic material such as jute or hessian with a contrast binding echoing the key colour you selected). Good luck with the renovation!

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    il y a 8 ans

Definitely keep the tiles! If you don't like them or for the winter you could get a complementary runner made to fit down the middle, leaving the border on show. It would be helpful to see a photo of how the two spaces connect. Looks like there is a green in the tiles but again another photo of a closeup of the tiles would help. If there is, what about a warm pale sage green for the walls? It would bring out the terracotta colour. As long as it's a warm tone then it will be bright, inviting and homely.

• soozmacrae
    il y a 8 ans

How about some fab statement lighting. People will look up rather than down.

• Alison Heppell
    il y a 8 ans
    Peculiar shaped mirrors like they have in IKEA
  • 163 hrd
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

What about painting the skirting and door architrave in one of the floor colours?

• Natalie Patton
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    We pulled out of this house in the end as there were a lot of things needed done. Thank you all so much for all your suggestions though
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    il y a 8 ans

Hello,

Keep the floor as it looks very nice and original. You can brighten up your hallway with some mirrors, just as others suggested. How about a large framed mirror with a traditional style/look?

As seen on the third image, you can add multiple mirrors on the wall and I think the wall paint also looks great on this picture. Definitely gives more light to a living space.

Good luck with your Project!

• PRO
    Casdron Enterprises Ltd (Lithofin in the UK)
    il y a 8 ans

Hello, wanted to just direct you to our website which contains method statements relevant to refurbishing Victorian/quarry tiles.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».