Houzz Logo Print
melissa_girard38

Help re-designing layout for one large all-inclusive great room

Melissa G.
il y a 8 ans

Hello! I am a newbie to houzz and I need help!! :( I have a ranch house with a super duper large great room. The only real division is the peninsula for the kitchen. Other than that, we have an eating area, living area, and what we assumed should be a "formal" dining area.

I am planning on buying a larger nicer table for the "eating" area off the kitchen because we hardly if ever use the formal dining for its intended purpose. In any case, I have got myself wondering if it would look so odd if we re-purposed the formal dining section of this large room to something like a sitting area (with a couple chairs and a cozy couch?). I was hoping you all could look at my current layout in pics and tell me what you think? Or if you have other ideas?? Thanks!! :)

Oh, mind the playpen mess :) I have a 2 yr old!

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Meg B. Frank Interiors
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to Houzz! You can definitely use your formal dining room space for an additional seating area. I suggest changing the chandelier to something that is more for a living space, or put it on a swag hook and pull it over to the sitting area. I am available if you have any questions. Good luck and post pictures of what you end of doing!

• Lindsay K
    il y a 8 ans

Yes, I think a little sitting are would look nice. You could make it look seperate with an area rug, maybe. I normally don't love rugs on top of carpet, but it can help in certain cases. You could put a little chair for reading and have a lamp there, and a little bookcase if you have one...I think there's a few things you could do!

Here's a "rug on carpet" picture ;)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    il y a 8 ans

yes please loose the second dining area, when the house was built it was grand to have all these extra living and dining rooms, but its just not so for today's family. I would even see about taking out that little wall one day, and treating it like an entry seating area. and for now it would make a great kids play space and storage area some low bookcases, storage bins a rug and two chairs, it can grow up into a reading space.

also consider pulling you couch back a ways, and using up some space, adding a console table behind to define rooms.

dont by a new dining set paint the one you have!

• Melissa G.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Flair Lighting, do you mean pulling the couch back into the formal area a little? that seems like a great idea!

all of the ides are great!!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    il y a 8 ans

yes i do !

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».