Houzz Logo Print
teamelsie

I need help!! Pine hutch - my husband built it.....

teamelsie
il y a 8 ans
As a first anniversary gift 18 years ago. It was stained natural, but has turned a lovely orange. I have white kitchen cabinets, and my table and chairs are oak stained in dark walnut.
How do I update this sentimental piece without ruining it?
Thanks for any ideas!

Commentaires (75)

• bichonbabe
    il y a 8 ans

What pdk920 said multiplied by 100 !

• Marty Grimson
    il y a 8 ans
    Beautiful piece! I'd leave it as is, have husband add a top piece and change the nobs to porcelain or something you like, a bit larger than what you currently have.
    I'd paint or restain the table and chairs before I'd change this piece.
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 8 ans

This is a gorgeous piece you will have forever! I personally would paint it. I would paint the outside black but paint the inside of the glass cabinets white so that anything inside would pop. Next I would put some fun new hardware on it.

• apmalac
    il y a 8 ans
    I would leave it as is and add some color inside the cabinets that you can interchange to your mood or the seasons.
  • santoslhauper
    il y a 8 ans

Agree with leaving it alone and not matching everything. Only thing I might consider is swapping out pulls.

• PRO
    The Cabinet Connection, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

I would leave the cabinet as is and just swap out the hardware to make it feel new again.

• Andrea H
    il y a 8 ans
    It's a lovely piece and I would accept it as it is if it were in my home. I understand your issue with the multiple wood tones in your space, and with country pieces that age to orange. I get it.

I'd be concerned about the piece losing its character and personal history and I wouldn't want that. Instead, I'd edit the items in and around it, and add new farmhouse pieces, big and simple, in bright white and cream to it. I'd also look for glazed pieces of pottery that have this shade ( or deeper) of sherbet Apricot and I'd introduce the colour in bits in other areas within your sight line.

The orange finish can also show off lovely aged dark wooden objects, bowls, cutting boards etc.

Paste wax for wooden antiques applied thinly and buffed might add some depth to the colour.

Just dress it differently and let it age on its own course.
  • Andrea H
    il y a 8 ans
    Just another thought...add one or three large baskets or a hand turned wooded bowl to the cabinet that matches the colour of your cabinets and other furniture.
  • marytrav
    il y a 8 ans

Lots of good ideas. Here's one more...when I have dilemmas such as yours, I like to do mock-ups, such as painting cardboard and taping it to the piece to see how the color changes the piece, the room, your feelings (and your husband's!), the compatibility with other furniture, etc. We agonized for years over whether to paint our '60s redwood bedroom ceiling, which had darkened to be the point of being totally overbearing, but also seemed a sacrilege to paint. We finally tacked up a white sheet to simulate paint, and were stunned by the effect on our mood, and how it changed and lightened the whole room. We did the same with a sideboard, which became an even more beloved piece because it looked so pretty, and didn't jar the senses by being out of step with the rest of the room. My feeling is that the quality, craftsmanship and love will remain, as long as updates are done tastefully. Good luck with your decision.

• BJ Walker
    il y a 8 ans

I just did my grandma's buffet with chalk paint and it turned out great! Your piece would also look good white. Chalk paint is very easy to use, you can do it indoors, and use Howard's Citrus wax rub for an antique look. I did it all indoors;no bad smells!

• acm
    il y a 8 ans

periwinkle blue would be great in a white kitchen and really let this sentimental piece shine!! would paint rather than stain, I think.

Welsh Hutch, White · Plus d'infos

Adrienne Chinn Design · Plus d'infos

Shaker Grey · Plus d'infos

Traditional Kitchen · Plus d'infos

Solstice Home's Sandwich House, Photos by ethanollie · Plus d'infos

• auntqueenie
    il y a 8 ans
    Add a shelf across top so there is connection from one side to the other, add on a piece of trim to top it off. I think painting it white, and paint the top (of bottom section ) black, or a dark wood paint or stain.
  • breta000
    il y a 8 ans

Maybe with some jewelry! Try these:

http://www.lookintheattic.com/glass-hardware.html?f=fitype|Knob&gclid=COTB_LKbl8cCFZRgfgodH08Opg

Replace glass in doors with: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=chickenwire+glass

I'd leave it the "lovely orange" finish color, unless he'd be OK with painting it; then go with some lovely COLOR....his beautiful handiwork and your favorite color.

• PRO
    User
    il y a 8 ans

If you want to keep it the same lovely orange color but are worried about the various wood tones in the kitchen, I would stick to accessorizing with cream accessories and picking up another color from your kitchen decor. I think perhaps putting more wood accessories on the hutch may make you feel "wooded out."

The suggestion to paint the table and chairs (Marty Grimson) is a good one; especially since these are probably of less sentimental value.

• PRO
    Knockout Knobs
    il y a 8 ans

custom cabinet hardware for this beautiful hutch for your 20th anniversary would update the piece and add to its uniqueness. You now have the option of creating your own hardware with your monogram or favorite design. knockoutknobs.com uses 3D printing technology to create your cabinet knobs.

• Gail
    il y a 8 ans

What a beautiful piece!

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    il y a 8 ans

Properly clean the piece and then have it refinished or resealed. It's a very nice piece, no big deal to deal with this issue.

• janearrington
    il y a 8 ans

Keep it the same....work with the oak table and chairs instead!

• gingybear
    il y a 8 ans

Agree with janearrington. Live with two different woods or loose the table and chairs. This is a custom piece of furniture made by someone you love. Worth everything. Sometimes you just have to sit on your impulses until they go away

• pollygoose
    il y a 8 ans

If you make any changes it should only be the hardware. This is destined to become an heirloom and your husband is a real craftsman. Don't like the contrast between the hutch and the dining set? Then change the dining set! (FYI, painting wood lessens its value, and down the line it will be a real pain to strip it off.)

• PRO
    canary closets and cabinetry
    il y a 8 ans

Do you like it as is? What don't you like? I'd strip the finish and use wax only. Ask your husband to build a top with crown molding. I like the wood knobs. You may want to consider painting the bead board at the back a white/cream color to lighten it up and tie into the kitchen cabs.

• Nancy Fraser
    il y a 8 ans

I wouldn't stain it to match--matching isn't necessary. I would put solid white dishes on the shelves to be seen through the glass, and put some solid white pieces on the surface of it. It is beautiful as is--just my opinion, and natural woods/stained woods work well together.

• lorewren
    il y a 8 ans

I would update the hardware with white enamel knobs with brass metal. Alternatively black metal if suitable from a artisan blacksmith shop.

• pollygoose
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Just a thought... buy some luan (very thin, thin plywood and have your husband cut it to fit the recesses in the cabinets and the open shelves. Next, cover it with a fabric or wall paper design you like, or even just paint it the color of your choice. Now, slide the panels to the back of the piece and maybe use some self adhesive Velcro dots to attach it to the back (if necessary) to hold it in place. Voila! Big change in fashion, no permanent change to the integrity of the lovely piece. Hey, you could even change out the backgrounds to fit the season if you wanted to! :) Just a thought, if you decide on the fabric make sure the color finds its way into the rest of the room in a table cloth, pillows or crockery. Also, think about color and stay away from really busy designs. They will compete with your lovely dishes etc.

Whatever you decide, I hope you will share your plan with us and the finished result!

• ishopper
    il y a 8 ans

Do not change this wonderful loving gift! Your husband must be so proud of such a functional and appealing piece. Let it continue to age so well! Instead, go with a lighter table and chairs that will preserve this piece as the focal point. Maybe sparkling with a glass top, and hubby could make a beautiful table base...? I think you will regret making such a large piece darker.

• pdk920
    il y a 8 ans

llswink has a great suggestion. You can do the same thing with artists' mat board; white foam core works fine too. It's fun, fast and inexpensive.

That said, I think your hutch is lovely just as it is.

• gaelferguson
    il y a 8 ans

I wouldn't change the wood in this hutch. Knowing your husband built this makes it very special. You might want to consider putting in leaded glass in the doors and change the hardware or even put in some lighting in the shelves. Simple changes can really alter it,

• scrappydot
    il y a 8 ans

Understand about not liking the "orange" color, but leave it as is. Your feelings may change in another few years & painting or staining will be hard to undo.

• Chris K.
    il y a 8 ans

Whatever you do, don't strip it and try to stain it. Pine gets very blotchy. You can seal it with shellac first and it helps, but either the natural color or paint will look better.

• Diane Greenholdt
    il y a 8 ans

I'm with the people who say leave it alone. It's a beautiful piece. But if you must change something, why not replace the knobs with ones a bright color and then put objects on the middle shelves that match the knobs.

• jerryandsusan
    il y a 8 ans

I would paint and distress it. Dark underneath, white on top to go with the kitchen cabinets and match the hardware with the cabinet hardware. However, I have an oak hutch stained dark that my son made that I left alone but I replaced the hardware to match the mushroom colour paint on cherry kitchen cabinets. That brings it together like it was meant to be. I'm a fan of eclectic but not a fan of the orange hue that pine gets.

• Meghan de Silva
    il y a 8 ans

I have used whitewash stain on several antique oak and pine pieces that I have. The whitewash doesn't take away from the beauty of the natural wood but would bring the color of the pine more in line with your white cabinets. Also, you can do as much whitewash as you want, even a very light wash will change the tone of the orange. You can follow up with a nice rubbed wax finish, Here is an example of the look.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/storage-case-pieces/cupboards/19th-c-white-washed-french-pine-vaisselier/id-f_324074/

• wiss
    il y a 8 ans

My dining room had a very old pie safe cabinet that has a orange stain. We too had a oak round table that was a dark stain. I painted our chairs black and scratched out the edges so the wood came through. I even did the same to the oak table legs. It seemed to make it all go together well each piece having it's own statement. I agree with others about putting a board on the top of the cabinet and if you would do what I did than paint the board black.

• sandralukas
    il y a 8 ans

Don't try to update the great looking cabinet. Update your table and chairs.

• jacknaccio
    il y a 8 ans

It is a lovely piece. Paint the beaded back in a whitewash (can be easily replaced in the future if you no longer like it), put on crown molding on top (to counter balance the bottom) and change the hardware to draw in the walnut piece or the cabinets. Or just bring in the same colored pine somewhere else in the kitchen.

• teamelsie
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! As a first-time user, this format is awesome!
    My husband is all for changing it up...... He agrees the pine has gone a bit orange. Our hardware on our cabinets are oil rubbed bronze. We are starting with changing up the hardware to match...... Then we'll see how it looks.
    I agree I am blessed to have have such a talented husband. Without him, there would never be any work done around here! He is definitely a keeper.
    I will post a pic after I change the hardware. I am having a hard time finding the right size hinge.
    Thanks again! :)
  • ycity
    il y a 8 ans
    Nice piece
  • kim1101
    il y a 8 ans

If you don't like the color of the hutch i would paint it with annie sloan chalk paint.

• Michelle
    il y a 8 ans
    I agree with Kim1101. Use Annie Sloan Chalk paint. You will Not have to strip it at all. Just sand a little. I painted a knotty pine cabinet my husband made for our son when he was born 33 years ago. The varnish had aged and was very yellow looking. I used chalk paint and in went on great!
  • Linda
    il y a 8 ans

Lovely piece! I have not had a chance to read the comments, but it is so funny because I wanted to quickly recommend a fantastic solution for your yellowing hutch, and that is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I see the previous two posters had the same idea. Great minds and all that jazz. This paint is amazing, and really fun to use -- truly. It is a tad expensive, but I can tell you from experience that one quart goes a long long way! More than enough for your project. You can purchase online or through your local "stockist." No priming is required ... just clean the piece and paint! It's very different than latex, and you do need to use the special wax after you paint (which dries super quickly) to seal and protect. You can distress (sand the edges) a bit if you like that look, and add dark wax for a little drama, too. I would recommend going to anniesloan.com and/or thepurplelady.com for tons of helpful information on these products, as well as photographs and videos. It is really easy, even if you have never painted before. Have fun, whatever you decide!

• Linda
    il y a 8 ans

Okay, I just went back and read the posts. If your husband says it's cool to update the hutch, then any of these suggestions will work. Personally, orange(ing) pine is not a good look to me. Even just a whitewash would make a huge difference. Changing the hardware won't fix the orange (and orange is a great color -- just not in this case). On the other hand, and most importantly, you have a gorgeous piece of furniture made especially for you by the man you love. Wow! Lucky lady!

• wheelingdecorating
    il y a 8 ans

Don't change the hutch if anything new table and chairs I have many pieces built by my grandfather and they are heirlooms

I took up building pieces for all my children and grand children and store bought can be replaced but heirlooms are forever to be passed down

• Linda
    il y a 8 ans

I have a question, and I am asking with the utmost respect, for the posters that have commented that painting the hutch would be ruining it or disrespecting the original poster's husband. I am so confused by this. My question is, "Why?" He created the beautiful piece of furniture, he did NOT create the pine wood. The pine on this piece has aged to an orange color. The hutch is gorgeous whether it is whitewashed, re-finished, painted, glazed, whatever. How is updating the tired wood in any way disrespecting our poster ' s husband and why would it no longer be an heirloom? Do a search for the Palace of Versailles and take a look at their furniture. Stunning, 100s of years old, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and painted. I really am respectfully curious. I asked my own husband of 25 years (in December), and he didn't get it either.

• pdk920
    il y a 8 ans

I don't consider changing it a matter of respect or disrespect, but the hutch was a gift for a very special occasion and so has special meaning and memories. Of course it would look fine in any number of colors or finishes because it has good lines and good workmanship. My feeling is that when the current fad of slapping a coat of white or black paint, or "chalk" paint or whatever the next "trend" is becomes dated and old, many will regret the loss of natural wood furniture. It will require a lot of elbow grease to try to replicate the old patina of beautiful wood that was covered up in a rush to update.

• rouxb
    il y a 8 ans

Why is the wood "tired"? It has a patina that the OP likes so what value is there in painting it?

• ishopper
    il y a 8 ans

Glad you are happy with your choices for updating! Wish you all the best!

• Linda
    il y a 8 ans

Hello rouxb. Thanks for getting back on my question. I DID use the word "tired." The original poster used the words "I need help... update." I should have used her words, to be fair. I could be wrong, but I took her statement that the piece had turned a "lovely orange" to be tongue-in-cheek. Orange pine is not a good thing. It means something must be done to fix it. I am pleased that our happy couple found a way to start their fixing process by changing the hardware.

• Linda
    il y a 8 ans

Hi Pdk920. Thanks for responding to my question. I appreciate your love of wood furniture. My house has many fine antiques, beautiful hardwood floors throughout, and many heirlooms handed down through the generations. That said, just because something is old and made of wood does not mean it is still beautiful. Certainly that is not the case with our poster's hutch. I am talking about old pieces that have water damage or peeling veneer, etc. I am also talking about some newer pieces that are of good quality, but need a little updating. You know where I am going with this, right? Ha! I must say that painting is NOT a trend. People have been painting furniture for 100s of years. Again, look at the furniture in the Palace of Versailles. Lastly, I must defend all the lovely folks out there that paint furniture, either for themselves or for others. I am not talking about the "perfect" Pottery Barn style painting. I am talking about hand painting -- and there are many different techniques. We don't "slap" the paint on. Not even close! There is a lot of time, money, and love that goes into painting furniture. And when we get into distressing and certain finishing -- a lot of elbow grease, too. It is a form of art that people take very seriously, whether or not YOU personally like it, so let's all try to be respectful of different ways of approaching design here on Houzz -- we will all have a lot more fun! And thanks again for your time.

• sas2551
    il y a 8 ans

That is a beautiful piece! Each to their own, but my thinking is that trends come and go, I would not paint/stain to match any current finishes/decor you have, likely those will change at some point in the future, but I'm assuming you will treasure this for life. Like others have suggested, I would change out the knobs (storing the old ones) which is an easy update.

• pdk920
    il y a 8 ans

Of course anyone who owns a piece of furniture, whatever its history, beauty or value, can do whatever they choose with it. After decades of working in a museum and seeing how different wood furniture ages, fades, darkens, lightens and develops patina over the years I know that once that cycle is interrupted, further changes will be man made; the original is gone forever. If the owner finds it ugly, dated, or unfashionable it will be stripped, distressed, painted, embellished, sanded, waxed -- whatever. It might be very attractive in its various reincarnations. Just be sure the original is not personally meaningful (or worthy of Versailles) before starting down that road.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».