Houzz Logo Print
daniellaviloria

VERY odd shaped kitchen - HELP

daniellaviloria
il y a 8 ans

I am trying to renovate my kitchen but the shape is very irregular so I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do!

My main problems are lack of counter space + lack of storage. I would also like to keep is possible some seating space. I am happy to move appliances/radiator and even doors.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Thanks

Commentaires (10)

• Victoria
    il y a 8 ans
    First thing to consider is losing the radiator by using alternative heat sources, plinth heaters or UFH, then you have much more room to play with.
  • Victoria
    il y a 8 ans
    Also, rehang door to kitchen so it opens into hallway or install a pocket door so as to not compromise space in the kitchen.
  • daniellaviloria
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks! Unfortunately this is not my design, it's the current kitchen (just bought the flat), hence the need to change ASAP. Thanks for the advice!

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    il y a 8 ans
    If you want help taking on your project then let us know. There is some fantastic storage options behind doors nowadays. Also we provide completely made to measure units so can adapt these to the shape of the kitchen!

However we are not treble the price for being bespoke so give us a shout if you need us!

Jade.
  • Jonathan
    il y a 8 ans
    I would fit the fridge freezer wall with tall units.
    I would put the sink and cooking area on the radiator wall and the find a small round table for next to the window.
    However there are likely loads of possibilities - you should talk to a kitchen designer.
  • PRO
    Yasmin Chopin Interior Design
    il y a 8 ans
    Agree, an awkward shape but don't panic. Yes, lose the radiator in favour of under plinth heating and I would take the sink from under the window. It's always difficult advising without seeing the room or meeting you, but my first thoughts would be to use the radiator wall for a run of units to include sink, fridge/freezer and cooker, which would leave the rest of the room for a nice table and chairs.
  • PRO
    Create Bathroom and Kitchen Studio, Glasgow
    il y a 8 ans

Hi,

An odd shaped kitchen can be a bit of a headache to work
    around, but we always advise our clients to look on the irregular shape
    as a positive - no one else will have a kitchen like you!

Tips to
    ensuring your odd shape kitchen works well is to try and keep the oven, fridge and sink relatively close to each other (this is what desginers
    refer to as the kitchen triangle). These items form the greatest area of
    activity and if they are well positioned cut down on wasted time spent
    walking up and down your kitchen!

Use akward spaces, such as
    areas between doors for storing larger, less used utensils ensuring that
    you dont create a bottleneck in your kitchen when you are searching in
    them.

Consider different height units to make the most of any
    slopes in the ceiling and to add a bit of character to your kitchen
    design, in fact consider different unit colours or even styles in the
    kitchen. Embrace the odd shape and give your kitchen some
    personality-you cant do this with a perfect square kitchen so enjoy your
    home's quirkieness!

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    il y a 8 ans

Curious shapes always present challenges, but there is plenty of scope in your kitchen at first view. I would certainly echo OnePlan wrt fridge/freezer and hob/oven - as a minimum I'd be looking to have 300mm between these and ideally more.

I would strongly recommend removing the existing radiator and either install a tall, thin "feature" rad (possibly to the left of the entrance door) or install under-floor or plinth heating.

The "radiator" wall offers plenty of scope for additional workspace, with or without storage above and below. With space limited and the desire for seating, I would look at options for some form of breakfast bar along that wall.

The sharp, irregular corners have their own challenges - consider radiusing these in some way or using triangular corner units to "step" the transitions.

Consider embracing the quirkiness of your space - irregularly shaped shelving (thicker at one end than another, possibly alternating which end is thicker/thinner) could add some fun to the space and making it a fantastic feature!

I'd definitely seek out a pro to help you with this one - give OnePlan a shout for starters or seek out a good, local independent to help you.

Have fun!!

• Utilisateur Houzz - 183456659
    il y a 5 mois

Hi Daniella. Just wondering if you could share your design outcome for the odd shape kitchen? I have a similar kitchen and would love to see your final outcome

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».