Houzz Logo Print
kendra_murphy47

Chair dilemma

Kendra Murphy
il y a 8 ans
I purchased these 2 unique wooden chairs to go in our small office, thinking they would be great. Well, my husband loves them, but I think they make the room look too "woodsy". Haha! Any suggestions?

Commentaires (23)

• apple_pie_order
    il y a 8 ans

The chairs are overwhelmed by everything else going on in the room. They are simple, stylish and unobtrusive.

• Karen P
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi Kendra. I love the chairs but agree that they get kind of lost in this room. Can you show more pictures of the entire space?
  • Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Yes, I agree. They don't add to the room at all. Sad, because I do like them. Here are a few more pics.
  • fiddleandco
    il y a 8 ans

I love your darker wall color, what it is?

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    Does your husband see clients in the office? The chairs are unique, but don't look very comfortable.
  • Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    @fiddleandco-its gauntlet by SW. @sandyc-No, he doesn't see clients there. They are certainly not for sitting for a long period of time. I like the unique look of the chairs, but as mentioned earlier, they get lost in the room. Any suggestions on another chair set or chair?
  • User
    il y a 8 ans
    I have an acrylic ghost chair in my office that I throw a white sheepskin over.
  • PRO
    Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
    il y a 8 ans

The room has a bit too much wood. The chairs are nice but they blend too much with the floor. I recommend fabric chairs in a small animal print pattern in the same color as the draperies or a crocodile texture leather in a dark brown.

• TraceyE
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Would you consider a contrasting colour?

West Newton · Plus d'infos

Could the orange work for you?

• Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I love the idea of some color!!! The orange looks great! I'll have to see how well it would go with dining room decor as the rooms are right across from each other. I want there to be a nice flow.
  • Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Doreen, I agree! There is too much wood action going on. Fabric chairs it is!
  • TraceyE
    il y a 8 ans

HI Kendra, could you post a pic of your dining room decor?

• Madeline McCloskey
    il y a 8 ans
    You could paint the back shelving units white to eliminate the 3 colours of brown wood in the room and leave the chairs which match the desk and the dark floors as the two "natural" woods! Add some more clutter that go with the dark tones of the floor to those shelving units to get some contrast
  • Madeline McCloskey
    il y a 8 ans
    and maybe paint the walls so they all match, they seem a bit busy and that would get toned down if they were all the blue colour
  • terry toon
    il y a 8 ans
    The rug is overwhelming I think. I love the shelves and the wall color.
  • PRO
    il y a 8 ans

I love the interest of the rug. I am concerned about the chairs getting caught on the edge. Perhaps you could move it forward a bit in front of the desk.

• Kendrah
    il y a 8 ans

1. Say more about who uses this room and for what. When will there be three people sitting in here and what will they be doing? The room has some great features but honestly, it looks a bit like a staged shoot for a store display and lacks a bit of personality. I think these chairs add some great personality but they don't have a lot of contrast with the rug.

2. Could you play with putting them along the window wall or one near a window and one near the map wall? I think they would pop more if they had some color behind them rather than floating.

• PRO
    il y a 8 ans

Do not paint the bookshelves. Their texture is a good part of the mix in the room. It is more rustic in style. That is a lot of it's appeal.

• Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    @Madeline- Thanks, but my husband built and stained those shelves to my liking and I love them! I've thought about painting the wall with the map gray as well, but fear it will make the room too dark. @Karen- Thank you! I think I am going to add some color. @Doreen-Rustic is the style and I'm glad it conveys just that! @Carol-My husband uses it for work and I use it as my principal's office for our 2 boys.
  • Kendra Murphy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I'm glad it looks staged! It's one of the first rooms you see when entering our home. Storage and cabinets are on the opposite wall. I want a pop of color, so I'm going to try 2 small upholstered chairs in a burnt orange or mustard yellow. Those 2 colors work with the decor in the dining room. I will position the chairs closer to the desk as well. Thanks everyone!
  • User
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Adding a pop of color as in Tracey's rendering will really be beautiful, Kendra. Orange or mustard yellow are perfect color choices, especially since they work with the decor in your dining room. There's nothing wrong with a space looking staged...my front home office has the same look, unless I'm in there messing things up. Lol

Hopefully you can find a place for those 2 wooden chairs somewhere else in your home.

Keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing the new chairs!

• TraceyE
    il y a 8 ans

I am excited to see how a bright coloured chair will look in your office- you've decorated it beautifully and have a wonderful office- magazine worthy :)

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».