Houzz Logo Print
tacotac

Does plant hardiness account for windshield factor?

Tiffany Marshall
il y a 8 ans

Say a plant is hardy to zone 5, meaning it is hardy to -20. Does that account for the windshield factor too? Like if they say it is -8 degrees outside, with a windshield factor of -25, does that mean your plants that are hardy to -20 probably not survive, or is the zone hardiness factor only taking account the ambient temp of like -8 in this case?

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    Avant Gardening & Landscaping Inc
    il y a 8 ans

Good question! Wind chill only affects people or rather the way we perceive the temperature. Plants are only affected by the actual air temperature which is what the USDA Zone Plant Hardiness map takes in to account. The real issue with winter winds on plants is that it can dry them out. This is one reason it's important to make sure your plants (esp. evergreens) are well watered heading in to winter.

• tamraallen68
    il y a 8 ans

I agree....wind chill does not effect plants.

When I garden with certain plants that may not be winter hardy to my zone, I plant in what I refer to as a "micro-climate". Meaning the plant has protection on 3 sides. Example....the house, a large fountain grass, and the garage blocks the harshest of winter cold. The large fountain grass and buildings act as a barrier.

If interested, do a search on micro-climates. I'm sure they'll explain it better.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    il y a 8 ans

Many of my plants are also covered in mulch/leaves which protects them. I let the leaves fall in the fall on my flower beds and don't clean them out until spring. It's similar to the above post. My plants on the south-faced slope get more sun and less wind than the ones on flat ground in open spaces (where the leaves won't stay and get blown away). Heidi in Nebraska

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».