Houzz Logo Print
hobomobo

Front yard landscaping ideas

Pete Mudge
il y a 8 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 8 ans

Hi guys,

I'm looking to re-landscape my front yard. As you can see from the pic, it's a blank canvas! The dimensions are approximately 4.7m across the front by 4.6m along the side fence (Note: the sick agapanthus and rock bed are my neighbours yard).

As some background information, I live about 1.5km from the beach, the front yard is north facing and gets full (hot Adelaide) sun, and can get very windy. Would also like some privacy for the front window.

I am looking at options for:

- Side fencing and/or hedging to provide separation from neighbours yard.

- New letterbox

- Feature tree/s and lush underplanting.

Was thinking along the lines of a Crepe Myrtle for the feature tree but open to suggestions. I really like the idea of citrus and olive trees too and more of the edible garden approach. No real idea what to underplant with.

Will also be looking to excavate soil (as current soil is just rubble left over from build) and put in new soil.

I understand a full-blown design is asking for too much but any ideas or leads to investigate would be awesome.

Thanks

Commentaires (16)

• PRO
    Designs by Chloe
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi, I don't know much about landscaping but looking at this image, I believe using a tree/plant with some red flowers or leaves would look beautiful
  • Pete Mudge
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Chloe, a big dark red/burgundy ornamental plum tree is one of the other options. And it's an interesting idea with the stainless steel...i was planning on painting that front porch area a different colour from the rest of the house, but some plants going up there could look great too!

• PRO
    Yardstick Landscape Services
    il y a 8 ans

Hi.

A quick concept for you- give me a call if you would like to investigate options

• PRO
    Yardstick Landscape Services
    il y a 8 ans

variation

• Jodie Bennett
    il y a 8 ans

Very nice Yardstick. I love that fence/wall.

• deanli14
    il y a 8 ans

Gorgeous house but yikes those north facing rooms must get hot in summer with no shade on the windows! If you're not keen to put awnings up then you might get some summer relief from deciduous trees. Good luck!

• Gemma
    il y a 8 ans
    I put a white crepe myrtle in front of mine and little shrubs under it. It grew so fast.
  • fleurbie
    il y a 8 ans

As your house is a lovely grey I would consider plants which harmonise with that shade. So consider a range of grey leafed plants such as olive trees (these look great at night as the leaves have a silver backing), wattles, feijoa, euphorbia, lambs ears - an interesting textured ground cover, as is snow in summer. Then a striking deciduous coloured tree or large shrub such as a maple with red leaves, smoke bush, or crepe myrtle. There is no need to build a fence unless you really want significant privacy, shrubs do provide adequate separation. As the home is tall and quite imposing I would also plant three pencil pines neat the front of the building, these will soften the edges of the building and help it relate to the garden. Most grey leaved plants are very hardy. wind may prove more of an issue than sun or soil, I recommend that you look for plants at are labeled 'suitable for seaside locations'.

• Pete Mudge
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Cheetsy, what were the shrubs you planted under the crepe myrtle? and deanli14, yep the aircon gets a good workout.

• Clare Tuckerman
    il y a 8 ans

Maybe check out the Waite Arboretum north of Adelaide for some trees that will work in your climate. A smaller eucalypt - some have gorgeous bark or a stunning grafted flowering gum - underplanted with a range of green, grey and maroon native grasses, native rosemary and traditional plants like stachys, lavendar and sages would compliment the tones and modern style of your home and cope with potential salt-laden winds and hot, dry summers.

• Carol Rea-Francis
    il y a 8 ans
    I like hedges so I'm thinking a lillipilly hedge. This would be very low maintenance and assimilate withe the clean lines of the house. You can keep the hedge low or grow taller for privacy or even very tall which would provide shade to the front of the house. We have these and they are very fast growing clean and neat. Require only a handful of fertilizer a couple of times a year and only occasional watering once established.
  • tuggeranong
    il y a 8 ans
    The area is quite large so I would try to make use of it as a courtyard. Crepe Myrtles are beautiful and not invasive and would be a great way of providing summer shade and winter sun. Mop-top Robinias could also look good - see photo. I also think that a mid-size hedge dividing you from the neighbours and across the front would enclose the space well, give you privacy and a lush look. Paving some of the area in a 'patch-work' pattern -see picture, would minimise lawn maintenance.
    Good luck.
    PR
  • PRO
    Prospect Contractors
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

You might like to have a look at our Rockweld Gabion Fencing for a fence idea. They work well as a stylish, modern privacy screen as well as an effective noise and wind barrier. If you had one as a front fence as well, a letterbox can be fitted within the mesh. Stainless steel letterboxes look great with the sandstone or bluestone rock we generally use. (photo example of a fence we recently installed at a home in Beaumont)

• PRO
    Prospect Contractors
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Sorry photo wouldn't load. Rockweld Fence with letterbox example.

• Gemma
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi I planted pink azaleas under it. But mine has lots of shade so they are really healthy. My azaleas in another spot which get lots of sun struggle. I also put some green grass type plants which have a white flower. Not sure what they called sorry.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».