Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Flooring With Severe Allergies

sail_away
il y a 8 ans

I would be interested in hearing what others consider to be viable options in a situation which demands hard floors, rather than carpeting, due to severe allergies/asthma. We currently have site-finished oak hardwood floors, which we love. However, we are downsizing in anticipation of future retirement from a 3000+ square foot home on three levels, and we're trying to watch our budget closely. We have decided on engineered wood flooring, as it will be more economical than solid hardwood that is finished on site.

I'm just wondering what others have done or would recommend? Traditionally, if one can't extend hardwood through the entire house, then carpet would be put in the secondary rooms. However, if the allergies are present, it might not be an option. I looked into luxury vinyl planks, but they are surprisingly expensive if you want a reasonable quality that will look good and hold up. Unless you put it through the whole house (again, would probably be equal to or more expensive than the engineered wood floors), you would have to choose something other than the wood look, as it would not look good up next to the wood flooring. Wood-look tile is attractive, but a very hard surface and very expensive.

We briefly considered wood-look laminate. I think it looks okay, but wouldn't want it in the wet areas of the home. Like marmoleum, but not for the entire house. Also, it is expensive and, if I understand correctly, must be installed by the marmoleum installers if you want any kind of warranty.

As I said, we have settled on engineered wood flooring, but I'm just wondering if we've missed any good alternatives and also wondering how others have addressed this dilemma.

Commentaires (7)

• PRO
    The Carpet Guys
    il y a 8 ans

Algeasea is right on a lot of points. Some products may contain chemicals and treatments that can irritate your allergies, so you want to research the product before purchasing it.

Here is a little article about engineered hardwood from the Healthy House Institute. It may help you out: http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com/hhip-768-Engineered-Wood

sail_away a remercié The Carpet Guys
  • sail_away
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Carpet Guys, Thanks for the link. It reinforces the need for research. Appreciate your response.

• malabacat
    il y a 8 ans

Also consider how you heat and cool your home. Forced air/heat kicks up a lot of allergens into the air that settle in the ducts.

sail_away a remercié malabacat
  • sail_away
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Good point. We do have an electronic filter on our current furnace which seems to help.

• handmethathammer
    il y a 8 ans

I understand your concerns. Mr. Hammer has allergies and suffered a lot in our last house. I was never able to nail down why. It could have been the farms that surrounded the house. It could have been the carpet. For some time, we thought it might be the cat (it isn't).

We had our vents vacuumed, which was a huge waste of money. It didn't help at all.

He isn't allergic to all carpet. We put cheap end of roll stuff in when we finished our basement, and he was fine with that. Everywhere else in the house he suffered, but was fine in the basement. We lived in an apartment for 10 months after a transfer and he was fine with that carpet (and the cat).

We did put engineered floors in most of the main level of our new home, and he has been doing well. He did give up sweeping and vacuuming, which is a pity, because he was good at it. But it brought up the dust. We do like the engineered floors....a lot.

sail_away a remercié handmethathammer
  • sail_away
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Happy to hear Mr. Hammer is doing better. I need to talk to DH about my needing to give up sweeping and vacuuming : } Actually, we have a central vac, which I do believe helps tremendously---and we plan to put one in the new build as well.

I've had allergies since birth, and testing revealed that I was allergic to all but 1 of the things for which they tested. So I've accepted that I can't rid my environment of all triggers, and I don't want to live in a bubble, so I'm trying to eliminate what I can. I'm just trying to avoid the terrible asthma attacks which can send me to the hospital---the other allergy symptoms I can deal with.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».