Houzz Logo Print
kristin_moussamarouf

Thoughts on RH chandelier?

Kristin M
il y a 8 ans
I'm looking for a big chandelier to hang in my two-story entry. I have wrought iron on the staircase and want something to go with that. I'm really liking the look of this restoration hardware "helix" chandelier. The ceiling is 18 feet and I will center it across a big window (6ish x 6 feet). I think I would need the biggest size (36 inch diameter, 55 inches high). The price with a 25% member discount is around $5,500 plus tax. I've never bought anything there. Is the quality worth the price or am I paying for the name? Thoughts? Also thoughts on the size and any other recommendations? https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6400006&categoryId=cat1701016

Commentaires (22)

• Kelley Dockrey
    il y a 8 ans
    Does RH happen to have a smaller one in stock so that you can see the quality of the workmanship and the crystal / glass pieces?

I can only say that the price is very low for a chandelier of that size.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    il y a 8 ans
    what is the style of your home?
  • Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I'd say my home is pretty traditional and the furniture is more transitional. What style chandelier would you recommend then? I didn't realize this was popular in the 80s. They didn't have the smaller version of this on display, but they had a one tier one with the same crystals that I was able to look at.

• Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    This is another chandelier I saw online the other day and liked. Would this be dated in a few years too?
  • Kendrah
    il y a 8 ans

It would be helpful if you showed us some pictures of your foyer, staircase and surrounding rooms. I agree that the first one shouts 80s and the second one I am not a fan of. It just seems a bit over the top and not classy enough for a house with a traditional look.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

For a foyer the chandelier should be room dimensions added together. So if you are getting a 35" dia then foyer should be at least 17'+17'=34"

• Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Here are a few pictures. My foyer and dining room I'm tackling next, so they are still a work in progress. I'm thinking about wallpapering one wall in the dining room, changing the chandelier to something more elegant, and then getting some centerpieces for the table. The living room you would be looking at as soon as you enter the house. The kitchen is then to the left, but if you're standing in the foyer you can't see it.
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

If your window is just 6'x6' then IMO a 35" dia chandelier is too big.

• Pool Habit
    il y a 8 ans
    I think I would look for something related to the lights you have in the kitchen. It looks great and seems to be the most relevant look in the house right now. I do think your kitchen goes well with your living room now, I not sure how much you are planning on changing. And then finally, something also in the same family over the dining table.
  • Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I just measured. The foyer is 8 by 14 feet (the 8 feet is from the wall to the base of the stairs). The window is just over 6 by 6. There's also an arch over the window which adds maybe another 3 feet in height but I'm not counting it because I want to center the chandelier in the 6 by 6 square portion. So what do we think about a size? Ceiling height is 18 feet but then drops down to 9 feet in the living room and kitchen.
  • Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    So should the diameter be a max of 22 inches? 14 plus 8? And what about height? The kitchen is a total remodel and the living room is all new, so those 2 rooms are staying the same. If you're sitting in the living room on the navy sofa, you would see the chandelier in the foyer and if you look to the right you would see the ones hanging above the kitchen island. So make them match then??
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

Your foyer and kitchen pendants do not have to match. Most people like to have the same or like finishes, but the styles can be similar or different. I would stay within the 22-25" range for the light. Better to be a bit too big than too small.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

And, Yikes! $5000 for a foyer chandelier. I bought a chandelier for my dining room about 2 years ago from overstock.com and the exact same chandelier on other sites was 3x as much.

• Kristin M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Thanks Susan! Does the length matter? My guess would be that the current fixture is about 22 wide and maybe 40 long? Very rough estimates. As far as pricing, I'm not sure what's considered reasonable, but I know RH tends to overcharge for other items so I wasn't sure if that was the case with lighting.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    il y a 8 ans
    Kristin, 22 inches in diameter is correct and when hanging light fixtures the bottom of the fixture should be around 7-8 feet off the floor unless it's over a table. Then it needs to be 32-36 inches from
    The top of the table to the bottom
    Of the light fixture. Hope this helps
  • PRO
    Bluevine Studio LLC
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi Kristin-
    Lovely house.
    I do allot of luxury hospitality design and usually we have select "contract only" venders because of quality, styling and durability. I have to say I have crossed over several times to Restoration Hardware, Rejuvenations, Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams for both residential and hospitality because of their quality. Some pieces are stand out show prices in a home and some you can turn to discount and box stores to finish a lux look.
    I think your first choice is classy and will hold value. If budget is really the issue check out designer discount sites. I don't recommend overstock.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    il y a 8 ans
    Hi Kristen M, Marie here.
    I've read a few of the comments, and yes the RH chandelier you chose is a refresh of an 80's style but it was also reborn from the 1930's Art Deco period. So any comments of it out dating is irrelevant. If this fixture suits your style,is proportionate to your room and or foyer, fits your budget, and illuminates the area properly the go for what makes you happy.
    I can't tell if this fixture is going to be too big mainly because I don't have a copy of your floor plan, can't see the style of your kitchen lights and what's happening above the foyer, And .upper hallway.
    All these things are important in choosing the right fixture for your home.
    Let me know if you want my help, send me more photos and dimensions of your foyer. Thanks!
    Marie
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    il y a 8 ans
    To add to this, I don't think the RH fixture would be too big
    And the black base will pick up on your stair spindles.
    Not sure it's going to go with your kitchen pendants, but can't be 100% sure until I see a better picture of these as well.
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

22"x32" $3100

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

This is the chandelier I bought on overstock. It is a Crystrorama Fiore Murano glass iron with gold leaf. Yes, I shopped around and maybe got lucky, but again, the exact same fixture on at least 3 other ,sites, including Houzz. and several other sites were 3x as much. It is a bit irritating to me that some Pros turn up their noses at O.com when they all know that furniture and light fixtures have a horrendous mark-up.

I also bought a Murano chandelier when I was in Venice, Italy and had it shipped back. I found a beauty in a little shop in town for$650, but waited until I visited the glass blowing shops and saw the same one there for $2600. Well, guess which one I bought. That same light in the US would have been at least $3600.

When you are spending that kind of money, do your research.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».