Houzz Logo Print
classicjanes

Help! Need suggestions for front garden!

classicjanes
il y a 8 ans

We just moved into our house in October. As you can see in the before photo the front garden was a jungle covering the house. We ripped everything out and are starting from scratch. The river rock along the front is for drainage (the front yard has a bit of a steep slope up to the road).

The front of the house gets plenty of sun. This is my first time doing a garden and was hoping to get our structural pieces in this year. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm not sure where to begin!

I don't want anything too large that will protrude into or block light into the porch.

Commentaires (2)

• PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    il y a 8 ans

It would be helpful to have a picture from the doorway looking out to know what size and type of plant material to put there.

For hardscaping I would continue the central walkway through the riverrock to the lawn area. You could clad the porch in flagstone if you wanted to.

For softscaping you will have to start by scraping down the sod and existing soil in the plantbeds. Go down 3-4" and amend with new bedding soil. Your biggest issue is definitely going to be the riverrock swale. It really separates your space, and doesn't leave much room for anything between the concrete porch and swale beds. It all depends on your style as well. Do you prefer informal, formal, modern etc. Also, where do you live, what zone are you so you can properly choose the right plants for your climate zone.

Some vines might be a nice touch growing up a couple of the porch posts and some hanging baskets would lighten it up. The plantbed near the house should have a mixture of flowering shrubs and perennials. Hydrangeas, geraniums are hardy and good for colour and vigour. When facing the house, I think the left hand-side could use something with some height perhaps a Japanese Maple of Serviceberry (again don't know your growing zone)

Good luck!

• PRO
    Contemporary Stonescapes
    il y a 8 ans

You can try to use paving stone for the walkway, make it at least 5" wide, to give it a grand entrance, on both sides of the walkway you can make a nice border design in like herring bone shape. Also, you can plant along the walkway combination of perennial and annual plants to create a gorgeous entrance. Good luck with your project!!!!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».