Houzz Logo Print
gemma19

Marble or limestone? Kitchen/living space help

gemma19
il y a 8 ans

Hi all,

I need some help with a house renovation we are doing, the back of the house will contain our kitchen, dining room and living space - all open plan. It will all be south facing and flooded with light as we have three large openings to the patio (bi fold doors). The original plan was to lay white moleanos limestone down throughout this part of the house - and have the paving slab version of the tile outside (hoping for a seamless link). However we've since decided on worktops - a quartz version of white carrara marble, and the limestone just doesn't work.

I had considered getting a similar coloured marble floor but worried that it might be a bit 'much'. It would also need to be unpolished as I wouldn't want to worry about my young children sliding all over the place. Colour palette will be greys - planning on purbeck stone for back wall and mole's breath on the centre island. We are having underfloor heating so not concerned about the tiles being cold.

Its a decent size space 14m wide by 5 metres deep. Would anyone recommend marble? Or perhaps a silver/grey limestone floor instead? Ive attached an image of the worktop and original limestone.... any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Commentaires (12)

• nicolakwai
    il y a 8 ans
    this is mine, laid last week
  • gemma19
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    They look great thank you, how hardwearing are they? Will they be sealed?
  • nicolakwai
    il y a 8 ans
    They are made of porcelain so will be really hard-wearing and no they don't need sealed. I got them from inter ceramica in Harrogate, the colour is fog and there was a darker grey too.
  • PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

White Carrara Marble come in different 'shades' so you play with them to keep the same colours but with different 'pattern'. I don't think it will look to overpowering, the opposite!

here some examples

• Helen C
    il y a 8 ans
    There is a blue moleanos limestone as well which is more silver grey and may be a better match although from memory it still has patches of beige in it. Might be worth getting a sample. I don't have experience of real marble floors but they sound like a nightmare to keep clean in a kitchen. Have you seen porcelain tiles made to look like marble-they are actually really nice. Have a look at casa dolce casa stones & more range for examples. I have their smooth lipica tile-not marble but it matches with purbeck stone and moles breath in terms of colour.
  • gemma19
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    They are beautiful Campo... I've been put off the thought of porcelain because I'm worried they may chip and wear easily, how do you find yours in terms of maintenance? Thanks
  • PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    il y a 8 ans

Porcelain tiles are really hard wearing! even harder than some of the natural stone being used. They may chip, but even a stone may chip so there is no difference there.

• Helen C
    il y a 8 ans
    I find them to be very hard wearing and easily cleaned. My tiler said the ones I have are the hardest tile he has ever cut. There are no chips/cracks in them. Maybe you are thinking of ceramic tiles which I think would have more of a tendency to chip? The previous photo I attached was blue moleanos btw, the photo below is my kitchen tile.
  • gemma19
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Wow they look incredible against that purbeck stone... do you have railings for your island? I love it!

What size are those tiles please?

Thanks again

• PRO
    Fully Interiors
    il y a 8 ans

Defiantly limestone :)

• PRO
    Mrs Stone Store
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely limestone or a soft grey slate would work with your choices. Take a look at www.mrs-stone-store.com and you can select some samples.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».