Houzz Logo Print
tyrell_thompson

Ideas to liven up the outside

Tyrell Thompson
il y a 8 ans
Looking for ideas to enhance the landscaping around the house. I'm not too great when it comes to "prettying" things up haha. I'm more of a diyer so it'd be great if it didn't involve the heaviest of equipment. The pics are the before and after of the entry stairs.

Commentaires (15)

• shirlpp
    il y a 8 ans

Have you considered having that huge tree trimmed. That is the first thing that I would do. Your stairs look nice.

• Trish
    il y a 8 ans

Cute house. I would have said shutters, but I don,t think you have the space on around the first floor windows. I think you just need to store the trash elsewhere, or conceal it, and add some landscaping, with little stacked stone walls on either side.

• Bluebell66
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

Definitely some shrubs, maybe some window boxes on the lower windows. A larger light fixture? Power wash the concrete sidewalk. If it's in the budget, a stone or paver walk would look cute instead of the concrete, and then you could add a nice shape to it.

Edited to say it's a cute house and it looks like you've done some nice work so far. Did you just buy it or are you improving to sell? (I see what looks like a sale sign in the yard.)

• tfswest
    il y a 8 ans

I'd play up the symmetry of the house with matching planting on either side of the gable-end steps. Keep it simple, like a pair of shrubs, or maybe a quartet. Since you live in a wintry climate, you might want to look into broad-leafed evergreens like rhododendrons. Maybe tall slim forms near each corner, like cedar. Get the biggest you can afford. Plant them a good five feet forward of the house to allow room to expand.

Along the side of the house, perhaps plant ordinary day lilies against the foundation; the only care they take is cutting them down at the end of each autumn. Once they are established, they are indestructable, and add a little color in mid summer.

If you move your porch light to the underside of the shelter you added, and the mailbox to a post at the foot of the steps, you'll have room for shutters, which will go a long way to giving the house character.

The tree needs no more pruning than what little is required to keep boughs from abrading your roof shingles on windy days.

Looks like a very comfortable size house; good luck making it yours!

• Tyrell Thompson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention getting rid of the of some of the tree overhang was one of the first things I tackled. I definitely want to add some greenery around the front steps. The trash has since been moved to the back of the house. And I've been here just over a year and I don't plan on going anywhere for a while. The "for sale" sign just happened to get caught in a before picture.
  • PRO
    Hunt Custom Homes
    il y a 8 ans

With the under skirting around your home shrubs would definitely be the easiest solution. There are many types and colors to choose from. Have fun.

• Tyrell Thompson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    The spirea has my favorite color, orange, in it. That'd be pretty cool. I was thinking of staining the foundation a brownish color. The white paneling actually covers up the half the house that is on stilts. Or I could just complete the white paneling around the house.
  • emmarene9
    il y a 8 ans

Tyrell, which direction does the house face and what is your USDA Hardiness zone?

• Tyrell Thompson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I'm pretty sure the front of the house is facing S/SE. And I believe my hardiness zone is 6b.
  • emmarene9
    il y a 8 ans

Most people want some evergreen plants among their foundation plantings. That way the house does not look nude in the winter. One of the lower growing Ilex would be nice in front. I would want some Hydrangea on the East side. A small Dogwood might be nice in your left lawn, or is there already a tree there? You have not mentioned whether or not you enjoy gardening.

• Tyrell Thompson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans
    I wouldn't say I have the greenest of thumbs, so I'm looking more into low maintenance plants and shrubs to start off with. If I don't kill everything within my first year then I'll try looking into more flowers and other tougher plants. At the moment I'm just wanting to add any color to take away from how "blah" the front is.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    il y a 8 ans
    Tyrell, you bought a nice tidy home! Great entrances, the siding looks new etc. Great starting point for creating the look you want. Your home reminds me of our 1920's farmhouse. Simple lines; blank slate. Enjoy the process as you choose your landscaping options! Add a pretty water fountain to your plans. They are affordable. I bought one for less than $75! I Can't wait for spring to show up so that I can set it up.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    il y a 8 ans
    Maybe consider container gardening in your plans, btw. Easy to take care of and move around.
  • shirlpp
    il y a 8 ans

Concerning the white paneling. I think that I'd decide what to do with the landscaping, and then decide about continuing the white paneling or not - or - staining the foundation.

The spirea shrubs are very cold hardy and they come in many different colors. Also, think about a few plants/flowers with red, it will accentuate your door.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».