Houzz Logo Print
kathersitch

Looking for Sound-proof bi-fold doors

Kathryn Stephens
il y a 7 ans

Hi Houzzers,

Our garden backs onto a train line. We are looking to knock through our dual French doors to fit bi-folds across the whole of the back of the house. However, I'm worried that this will let in too much unwanted noise.

Can anyone recommend a supplier who can give me peace of mind?

thank you in advance

Commentaires (8)

• Victoria
    il y a 7 ans
    Triple glazing helps too
    Kathryn Stephens a remercié Victoria
  • PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    il y a 7 ans

Talk to one of our bi-fold making members (just fill in the form to indicate you want bi-folds). I would seriously consider lift and slide. Bi-folds, however well made, have lots of articulated elements that are more difficult to sound proof. Triple-glazing adds a lot of weight and puts long-term pressure on the construction, hinges etc. We have lift and slide in our house and can vouch for their effectiveness and quiet.

• PRO
    CHT Joinery
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Kathryn,

we manufacture bi folding doors to suit any purpose. Regarding sound proofing we use the best seals on all joints. The joints between doors have 2 seals. Our standard doors are 54mm thick which does prevent most sound traveling through. However if you want extra thickness we can increase them to 68mm and install acoustic glass.

You can contact us on 01633 740636 or view our work here

http://timberbifold.co.uk

• PRO
    CHT Joinery
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

P.s. regarding triple glazing. Has been known to cause resonance and actually increase the sound (like a humming). Best use pilkington acoustic glass

• PRO
    Darrell Willcocks Architects Ltd
    il y a 7 ans

I agree with the other professionals posting on the site, acoustic glass and bulking up the door thickness will reduce noise considerably.

• dave96118
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Kathryn - we are in a similar position. what did you go for and did it work? thanks

• Jen
    il y a 2 ans

Others here mention Pilkington Acoustic Glass - I’ve had it installed in new double glazing at the front of my house, on a busy road, and the difference is incredible!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».